This Program Has Officially Fallen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GoShockers89
    Baez definitely needs to start ceding some playing time. I can forgive a lack of talent, but he just makes too many mental errors. I believe he has forgotten to cover 2nd base or screwed up relay plays more in the last year and a half than I have witnessed in twenty years combined of Shocker baseball. It is unbearable.

I sure wish Ryan Jones would show up against good teams. He is a great kid, but nobody sticks their head in the sand against decent pitching more than Ryan. He and McKeever need to show some leadership in big games or start sitting them out.

I did think Josh Smith was very good tonight. He has progressed nicely since last year, and I believe he will make an excellent weekend starter next season. He deserved a win for his effort this evening. The bullpen, on the other hand, is meat. But we all knew that heading into the season. I do wish we would see more of Remington Johnson instead of Logan Hoch. Poor Logan has turned into a thumber with no velocity and no control since his surgery. He is much worse this season than his numbers indicate (I would love to see how many inherited runners he has allowed to score).

I completely agree that Thomas needs to go. It won't happen though. No matter what.

This weekend will be difficult. Evansville is not terrible (unlike Bradley) and it is on the road. Dangerous combination indeed.
    Two out of three against Evansville would be cause for major celebration. I expect a 1-2 weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Wheatshocker
      The last year and a half (44-35 record) have been WAAAAAAY below expectations, I'll grant that. But less than two years ago we were one game away from returning to the CWS (against a team using ineligible players).

And didn't we just all call out some loser troll named Vulcan for grinding an axe over how far the program has fallen? Wonder how he feels now? Justified? Or was it just not OK for him because he was a newbie?
      Something about that guy reeked of a troll. If he's not, I apologize.

Comment

Fire Gene.

The 20 year pass after a National Championship is done. Gene doesn't have it anymore. Get rid of him and exchange him for a coach who has been to a recent CWS.

Comment

Hooper or PJ Forbes sounds good right about now.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax
            Name the stadium after him (get rid of Felon Man), give him some title as chief of athletic fundraising, and find someone who can relate to kids.

Does anybody wonder why colleges haven't ran to JT to offer him a head coaching job?
            J.T. hasn't been offered a head-coaching job because he's not qualified. He's not even qualified for the job he has.

As for No. 10, he may be slipping, but I don't think the problem is inability to relate to kids. Almost every signee says he's coming here because of Gene (and, maybe more so, Brent). Now, how good those recruits are, compared to how good they used to be, that's another story.

Comment

Fresno State! Fresno State! There is still hope!

Comment

This isn't something that's just happened in the last two years. Myself and some others pointed that out last year.

If you look back at the offensive stats for the team, you'll see that it started in 2000. In the last decade, 2004 was our best offensive year: .324 avg, 78 HR, 482 RBI, and 1125 Total Bases, were the best for that period with only 387 SO . Now let's put that in perspective.

In 1999 we hit .328 and that was the lowest in the previous 5 year period. Only ONCE (starting in 1978), prior to 2000, did a team bat below .300 and only two more times below .310. In the last 10 years, 3 below .300 and 3 more below .310.

From 1990-99, in a comparible number of games to 2000-2009, the Shox averaged 73.5 HRs compared to 50.1 this decade.

Only 3 times prior to 2000 did the Shox have less than 482 RBIs. Two of those were in the 1990s in which we averaged 546 RBIs. During the 2000s, we averaged 422. You'll see the same trend in Total Bases.

In the 1990s, we had a lot of free swingers going for the fences, yet only 3 times did we have more than 400 SO. In an era with a lack of power, the 2000s, the Shox have top that mark 6 times.

Before anyone says it, last year someone on here put up a graph that showed college baseball offensive stats did go up and down over the last 30 + years, but the general numbers have remained basically the same. In other words, we used to be better than average, now we are below average.

My concern was this: A continuing of poor offensive numbers would sooner or later result in a lower of our pitching quality. Yes, BK is here, but when faced with the prospect of having to pitch near perfection against better teams all the time just to get a loss or a no decision, that losses it luster. Look at our pen and look at our mid-week starters. Has the lack of offense started to affect our pitching?

One thing we could hang our hat on during the 2000s was our defense. This year .... at the rate it's going, it could be the worst all-time since 1978.

As a northern mid-major school, this trend cannot continue. If it does, we may lose, and never get back, that great Shocker baseball tradition.

Comment

The last year and a half (44-35 record) have been WAAAAAAY below expectations, I'll grant that. But less than two years ago we were one game away from returning to the CWS (against a team using ineligible players).

And didn't we just all call out some loser troll named Vulcan for grinding an axe over how far the program has fallen? Wonder how he feels now? Justified? Or was it just not OK for him because he was a newbie?
                  Vulcan joined for the sole reason of trashing the coaching personnel with attacks, such as "ass". He then decided to call the entire Shocker fanbase "jack ass" [sic].

He would have been welcomed if it wasn't for those big no-no's. Also, one should engage slowly into a message board when joining and not acting like you run the place. You have to earn at least a little bit of good ol' internets respect.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk
                    This isn't something that's just happened in the last two years. Myself and some others pointed that out last year.

If you look back at the offensive stats for the team, you'll see that it started in 2000. In the last decade, 2004 was our best offensive year: .324 avg, 78 HR, 482 RBI, and 1125 Total Bases, were the best for that period with only 387 SO . Now let's put that in perspective.

In 1999 we hit .328 and that was the lowest in the previous 5 year period. Only ONCE (starting in 1978), prior to 2000, did a team bat below .300 and only two more times below .310. In the last 10 years, 3 below .300 and 3 more below .310.

From 1990-99, in a comparible number of games to 2000-2009, the Shox averaged 73.5 HRs compared to 50.1 this decade.

Only 3 times prior to 2000 did the Shox have less than 482 RBIs. Two of those were in the 1990s in which we averaged 546 RBIs. During the 2000s, we averaged 422. You'll see the same trend in Total Bases.

In the 1990s, we had a lot of free swingers going for the fences, yet only 3 times did we have more than 400 SO. In an era with a lack of power, the 2000s, the Shox have top that mark 6 times.

Before anyone says it, last year someone on here put up a graph that showed college baseball offensive stats did go up and down over the last 30 + years, but the general numbers have remained basically the same. In other words, we used to be better than average, now we are below average.

My concern was this: A continuing of poor offensive numbers would sooner or later result in a lower of our pitching quality. Yes, BK is here, but when faced with the prospect of having to pitch near perfection against better teams all the time just to get a loss or a no decision, that losses it luster. Look at our pen and look at our mid-week starters. Has the lack of offense started to affect our pitching?

One thing we could hang our hat on during the 2000s was our defense. This year .... at the rate it's going, it could be the worst all-time since 1978.

As a northern mid-major school, this trend cannot continue. If it does, we may lose, and never get back, that great Shocker baseball tradition.
                    Great facts and analysis, but what is your ultimate conclusion as to the coaching fate of Krusty?

Comment

Name the stadium after him (get rid of Felon Man), give him some title as chief of athletic fundraising, and find someone who can relate to kids.

Does anybody wonder why colleges haven't ran to JT to offer him a head coaching job?
                      J.T. hasn't been offered a head-coaching job because he's not qualified. He's not even qualified for the job he has.

As for No. 10, he may be slipping, but I don't think the problem is inability to relate to kids. Almost every signee says he's coming here because of Gene (and, maybe more so, Brent). Now, how good those recruits are, compared to how good they used to be, that's another story.
                      I think you answered a rhetorical question in your first paragraph. You missed the sarcasm.

Slipping may be an understatement at this point. And that's the one thing I really hoped GS would realize before it gets totally out of control. Realize when you've "lost it" and go out at least somewhat respectably. He deserves at least that much.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Great facts and analysis, but what is your ultimate conclusion as to the coaching fate of Krusty?
                        I would certainly like to keep BK in the mix. Other candidates with WSU background - Loren Hibbs as Head Coach, Bauer as pitching coach, Wyckoff as associate head or pitching coach, and I'd love to have Hooper.

Yup, I could go with Hibbs, Kemnitz, and Hooper.

Comment

Loren Hibbs has been at UNC-Charlotte since 1993, and been to the NCAA Tournament a whole 4 times in that span.

Color me unimpressed. Gene would have to get really bad before that resume would seem enticing.

Comment

Lets turn the entire page, kinda tired of the bk persona also.
                            THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE

You can call me Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky Bobby
                              Loren Hibbs has been at UNC-Charlotte since 1993, and been to the NCAA Tournament a whole 4 times in that span.

Color me unimpressed. Gene would have to get really bad before that resume would seem enticing.
                              Most likely, BK would be offered the HC if he wanted it. If not, a coach from outside the Shockers would most probably happen. I was thinking BK might stay on as pitching coach with Hibbs. A hire from outside the Shocker family for the HC job, may likely see BK moving on.

Have I said I would really like to have Hooper in some capacity.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky Bobby

Agreed. I love former Shockers and everything, but he would not be a qualified candidate.
                                Deuces Valley.
                                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                                X