This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
    According to a Boston University study, MLB umpires miss an average of 14 balls/strikes per game. That's over 34,000 per season.

Boston U Study

I believe there's also a website somewhere that tracks the accuracy of each umpire through the season.
    14 out of almost the average of 300 pitches per game doesn't look that bad. However, one would have to subtract every pitch that a batter had swung at, hit or miss. I also have no problem with "close" pitches. It's the BAD ones in crucial times that bother me. Umpiring in the major league has gotten a lot more attention over the years with every pitch/play viewable as to the ump's accuracy. They have gone to reviewing some plays and allowing some challenges, but not on balls and strikes. I would not be opposed to allowing a team 1 "ball/strike" challenge per game in crucial times. However, the call would have to be truly a bad call. Something like a called third strike cannot not be overturned unless the ball is fully and clearly outside the strike zone. A called ball 4 cannot be overturned unless the pitched ball is touching the strike zone line. Batters still need to "protect the plate". Yes, Alex over-sold the pitch, but in this case, it should not have a barring. Nevertheless, there seems to be a rash of bad calls in the field this year and they get corrected.

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Based on the trajectory of the ball off of the bat and on its descent, this ball appeared to travel at least as far vertically as it did horizontally!

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• That actually was a pretty good pitch Alec hit. 81 mph lefty curve or slider on the outer edge, at the knees on an 0-1 count. Makes me think Alec was looking for it.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 31, 2023, 06:38 PM.

Comment

• Alec is hitting .286 on the season, 4th among Philly regulars, and an OPS of .780, 5th among Philly regulars. However, he is 2nd on the team with 86 RBI only trailing 40 home run guy Kyle Schwarber by 3. Alec currently is 17th in MLB in RBI's.

Comment

• While his average is 4th among Phils, that equates to 20th in the majors, along with OPS top 25% and RBIs 17th.

Comment

• Comment

• Big Mac attack…

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Bohm’s away…

Comment

• This duck snort by Bohm didn't make much noice on contact but he crowd and his teammates liked it since it was a walk-off hit:

The Wee Willie Keeler approach.
                              Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 23, 2023, 03:09 PM.

Comment

• Hot hot hot!!!

Boom goes the dynamite!

Comment

Working...
                                X