No announcement yet.

WSU vs KSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally, yes, our guys should have adjusted to the crap zone. It is harder to do that when the horrible zone changes on you, even in an at bat.

You would be ignorant to think that the bad umping caused all the strikeouts for those guys. That said, it sure didn't help the situation any.

When a guy has an OBP of .500 and the walk totals that Andy Dirks has, and he watches the pitches go by, I'll defer to his eye and my eye on the replay over the eye of a guy who couldn't even see a missed tag.

Comment

haha, wow rosewood, you're funny. too bad I'm not a troll. I did watch the game on tv, and I admit he blew the call at home plate, but as i said, he doesn't have the advantage of instant replay like we do, he has to make a quick judgement. He's out there for a reason while you are sitting at home complaining about him.. because he does a good job or he wouldn't be there. And I guarantee he's not the first guy to blow a call at the plate, it's part of the game, you get some you lose some. thanks for thinking of me enough to reply though, no reason to get into a war of words with you, i have my opinion and you have yours. We won the game, that's all that really matters

Comment

Originally posted by shocker3

On a side note. K-state gave away free tee shirts in the fifth inning. About half of their crowd got up, got their free t shirts and then left the game.

I guess they aren't really baseball fans, just free t-shirt fans.
        They are only there because WSU was the opponent. There may be 200 true KSU baseball fans (I should say baseball fans that go to KSU or live in Manhattan) at any one time in that ballpark. I was also embarassed how the fans approached the WSU game every year. That's why I watched 10+ WSU baseball games every year I was at KSU, because I got hooked on it in the early 90s, and the fans there at the WSU games are true baseball fans.

I think I made two baseball games in Tointon the last year I was at KSU (one was WSU). The only time I liked the team was Brad Hill's first team, because they played defense and small ball like I've never seen before or since. Well, I may have seen better performances at the NBC World Series ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Rosewood
          Finally, yes, our guys should have adjusted to the crap zone. It is harder to do that when the horrible zone changes on you, even in an at bat.

You would be ignorant to think that the bad umping caused all the strikeouts for those guys. That said, it sure didn't help the situation any.

When a guy has an OBP of .500 and the walk totals that Andy Dirks has, and he watches the pitches go by, I'll defer to his eye and my eye on the replay over the eye of a guy who couldn't even see a missed tag.
          -I played baseball at the collegiate level in the area and in the NBC tournament and we had Wagers on quite a few occasions. Usually he did a good job, but we always knew in the back of our minds that he could completely blow a call or change his zone at any time. Not sure why, I guess he needs to work on his position behind the catcher and make it more consistent. Anyway, I'm sure most, if not all of the WSU players and Coaches have had Wagers numerous times and they should have known about him and his zone and went up there prepared to swing at anything close with 2 strikes, especially after the first few innings. I hate having to change my approach at the plate, but with some umpires its a necessity.
          -As far as the tag goes, I'm not so sure it was as cut and dry as you say it was. I saw it and I couldn't really tell after seeing tons of replays. I'm sure Wagers decided that he couldn't tell 100% at the time if the tag was made either, so he went back to the old "the ball beat him there" way of umpiring and that's how he made the call. It was a tough call to make without a replay and of course we can all say he missed it, but we had the benefit of seeing multiple replays at different angles. You even said "my wife could see that on the second replay." Was that final replay in slow motion? I don't remember seeing it, but it probably was as most replays are. Wagers had 1 shot at it and it was in full speed. What if he got dirt in his eye as the play was happening and needed to blink just at the second of the tag? With the ego most of the local umpires have, he's probably not going to converse with his other umpires, who didn't even have a good enough angle to make the call anyway. In the end, it didn't really matter and in baseball there are missed calls all the time, we should just be happy we made it out with a win. I don't really want to argue about this because its basically personal opinion and I always appreciate your comments and game updates, but I just wanted to throw my 2-cents in there. :good:
          "You can observe a lot just by watching."
          -- Yogi Berra

Comment

BA2929, well said my friend, well said. How long ago did you play ball in the NBC and what not?

Comment

The Eagle says Josh Workman injured his side swinging at a pitch. Probably an oblique issue. Aren't those slow to come around and heal? Anyway, this obviously hurts and who do we use know at second. The Taylor kid?

Comment

Taylor Brown or Kyle Sisney.

Comment

Interesting story: I was at the game on Tuesday sitting in the Shocker Section behind Andy Dirks' mom. When Dirks was caught looking on a ball most of us thought was outside of the zone, his mom got upset with him saying,"You have to protect the plate, son!" I thought it was a great point of view on the call.

Comment

Originally posted by goshox24
                    Interesting story: I was at the game on Tuesday sitting in the Shocker Section behind Andy Dirks' mom. When Dirks was caught looking on a ball most of us thought was outside of the zone, his mom got upset with him saying,"You have to protect the plate, son!" I thought it was a great point of view on the call.
                    :good: :good:
                    SFL is back!

Comment

Working...
                    X