Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shockers at Dallas Baptist (3 Game Series)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jenista just doubles off the left field, just missing a home run, to lead off the 9th.

Alec Bohm blistered a shot down the 1st base line that the DBU 1B knocks down then tosses to 1st to get Alec. Jenista moves to 3rd.

Schwanke is then intentionally walked to put runners on the corners with 1 out. Dayton Dugas pinch running for Schwanke.

Noah Croft hits a high two hopper between short and first. He is out but Dugas goes to 2nd and Jenista scores.

Trey Vickers then singles through the 3-4 hole into RF scoring Dugas. Vickers out trying to go to 2nd on the throw home.

Shocks lead 8-6. Can they hold it? Ben Hecht will try to get it done in the bottom of the 9th.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 5, 2017, 09:50 PM.

Comment

What a strange team.

Comment

Hecht induces a strike out on a full count on a breaking pitch well off the plate. 1 out.

Hecht gets another strike out on a nasty 2-2 breaking pitchand then a fly ball to left field to end the game.

Shocks 8 - DBU 6

Comment

For the first 7.5 innings the Shockers may have played their best all-around game of the season. Then the bullpen choked big time in the 8th with a little help of a misplay by Jenista at 1st.

Credit the the Shocks though as they came back in the 9th against one of the better relief pitchers in the Valley to win it. But it should never have gotten to that.

Zach Lewis was great.

How about the 5 guys I singled out for praise before the game. Bohm, Jenista, Vickers, Croft and Boyer. They were a combined 10-21 plus 2 walks, only 1 strike out, had all 6 of the Shocks RBI's and scored 6 of the Shocks 8 runs. Yet with all that the Shocks still almost gave this game away. Thank goodness that did not happen because that could have really deflated some balloons.

Perhaps it proves the old saying that you are only as strong as your weakest links.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 5, 2017, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Pretty fun one to attend. If we find a way to steal this series, I will be very pleased.

Comment

Shocks keep pace with Indiana State a 9-6 winner over inept Illinois State and move into sole possession of 4th place for now 1 game ahead of SIU who lost to Missouri State 7-5.

Comment

I don't know whether I should be happy about wins like this in the big picture, but kudos on the win.

Comment

Argued with a buddy about the significance of this win. He said it was huge, I said it was big only if they can build on it.

Zach was fantastic. However unless he's hurt, he can't come out of another game unless it's about 20-0. I think last years team had a better pen. We've got nobody to rely on down there. As for recruiting pitching, we're about 6 years behind there. Read into that what you want, but PCMS hit the ground running and given the chance I think he'll catch up, but it's going to take time.

I know I hoped and expected more from pitching this year but the loss of Segal killed any chance at a solid weekend rotation, and there just isn't much else. Cody Heuer probably has the best arm but he's been unreliable and I don't expect him back next year (draft eligible).

Tough to get info on recruiting. Several players in Texas are in the playoffs. RHP Ronnie Taylor from Allen, Tx sure sounds like he hopes to be drafted and forego college. Several of the other guys are going to have to step in immediately and be effective. There is some talent to work with if we can get them on campus, especially Lindemann, Eddy and Stueumpfig as they seem to have the most upside (not knocking the Davis kid from Oak Ridge just don't see the upside) as well as the kid from Millard Kocis.

Edit: I also have high hopes Trent Allen can somehow help next season. I know its a long shot for a kid that didn't make the team this year but he just looks the part to me.

At least we have our best players as SO and FR (Vickers a JR exception) and I think Jackson will continue to improve and his D has been really good. That's a good 6 to build on for next year. But like my argument last night, these guys need to do some winning, now.

Don't think we'll hold these guys down enough to win another this weekend but taking another sure would be a lift of confidence for a team in desperate need of some. I do think they're getting better, but man its been a slow grind with not much progression.
                  Last edited by Shocker3435; May 6, 2017, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker3435 View Post
                    Argued with a buddy about the significance of this win. He said it was huge, I said it was big only if they can build on it.

Zach was fantastic. However unless he's hurt, he can't come out of another game unless it's about 20-0. I think last years team had a better pen. We've got nobody to rely on down there. As for recruiting pitching, we're about 6 years behind there. Read into that what you want, but PCMS hit the ground running and given the chance I think he'll catch up, but it's going to take time.

I know I hoped and expected more from pitching this year but the loss of Segal killed any chance at a solid weekend rotation, and there just isn't much else. Cody Heuer probably has the best arm but he's been unreliable and I don't expect him back next year (draft eligible).

Tough to get info on recruiting. Several players in Texas are in the playoffs. RHP Ronnie Taylor from Allen, Tx sure sounds like he hopes to be drafted and forego college. Several of the other guys are going to have to step in immediately and be effective. There is some talent to work with if we can get them on campus, especially Lindemann, Eddy and Stueumpfig as they seem to have the most upside (not knocking the Davis kid from Oak Ridge just don't see the upside) as well as the kid from Millard Kocis.

Edit: I also have high hopes Trent Allen can somehow help next season. I know its a long shot for a kid that didn't make the team this year but he just looks the part to me.

At least we have our best players as SO and FR (Vickers a JR exception) and I think Jackson will continue to improve and his D has been really good. That's a good 6 to build on for next year. But like my argument last night, these guys need to do some winning, now.

Don't think we'll hold these guys down enough to win another this weekend but taking another sure would be a lift of confidence for a team in desperate need of some. I do think they're getting better, but man its been a slow grind with not much progression.
                    How exactly is it a huge win? 4th road win out of 21 games? Shocker baseball being the basketball equivalent of Evansville? I will not get excited about a less than mediocre team. How far the once proud program has fallen....

Comment

Already down 1-7, still in the bottom of the 2nd. Tyler got rocked, two homeruns, two doubles. We have already struck out five times at the plate.

Comment

Lungwitz now in.

Comment

Today is not so fun so far.

Comment

I think the last 9 innings are more indicative of what this team is.

12 free passes and I've given up counting free bases this season.

Comment

DBU 13 - Shocks 2. Ouch.

DBU cooled off Bohm, Jenista, Croft and Boyer who were a combined 1-12. Vickers was 2-3. Cool this group off an the Shocks are pretty much toast although even if the group of 5 is hitting you won't win many game giving up 13 runs (all earned). The Shocks ERA is now up to 7.30 in conference play.

The Shocker pitchers gave up 8 walks, hit 4 batter and gave up a 3-run homer in the 1st, a 2-run homer in the 2nd and a 3-run homer in the 3rd.

Hard to see the Shocks controlling this DBU team with their Sunday pitching.
                              Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 7, 2017, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Indiana State move 2-games in front of the Shockers for 3rd place with a 15-4 win over hapless Illinois State.

SIU put up 9 runs on Missouri State today and still lost by 10. The Shocks stay 1 game ahead of the Salukis.

Comment

Working...
                                X