Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 Summer Baseball

At this point 19 Shockers have been assigned to summer teams:

Alec Bohm – Wilmington (N.C.) Sharks (Coastal Plains League)
    Jordan Boyer – Wichita (Kan.) Warhawks (Kansas Collegiate League)
    Gabe Constantine – Mankato (Minn.) MoonDogs (Northwoods League)
    Josh DeBacker – Winter Park (Fla.) Diamond Dawgs (Florida League)
    Dayton Dugas – Cotuit (Mass.) Kettleers (Cape Cod League)
    Robby Evans – Mankato (Minn.) MoonDogs (Northwoods League)
    Bret Fehr – Wichita (Kan.) Warhawks (Kansas Collegiate League)
    Codi Heuer – Winter Park (Fla.) Diamond Dawgs (Florida League)
    Greyson Jenista – Cotuit (Mass.) Kettleers (Cape Cod League)
    Tyler Jones – Falmouth (Mass.) Commodores (Cape Cod League)
    Keylan Killgore – Winter Park (Fla.) Diamond Dawgs (Florida League)
    Connor Lungwitz – Anchorage (Alaska) Glacier Pilots (Alaska League)
    Clayton McGinness – Rochester (Minn.) Honkers (Northwoods League)
    Luke Ritter – Anchorage (Alaska) Glacier Pilots (Alaska League)
    Chandler Sanburn – Holly Springs (N.C.) Salamanders (Coastal Plains League)
    Gunnar Troutwine – Yarmouth-Dennis (Mass.) Red Sox (Cape Cod League)
    Cody Tyler – Wilmington (N.C.) Sharks (Coastal Plains League)
    Trey Vickers – Fayetteville (N.C.) SwampDogs (Coastal Plains League)
    Travis Young – Newport (R.I.) Gulls (New England League)

A few observations:

All in all the assignments look to be be pretty good. Only Jordan Boyer and Bret Fehr staying in state. The Kansas college summer leagues are just not what they used to be.

9 pitchers and 10 position players assigned so far.

Possible additional assignments to come later but excluding Willie Schwanke and Sam Tewes there are 9 non-seniors on this year's roster that are not assigned. With pitchers it could just mean they want to rest their arms. With position players it may be somewhat more telling.

Shocker pitchers not yet assigned to a summer team:
    Reagan Biechler
    Tyler Gibson
    Zach Lewis
    Justin Siewald
    Brian Griesman

I suspect that Reagan Biechler and Zach Lewis want to give their arms a break. Reagan in particular missed some time with an injury this year. Would not surprise me at all if Tyler Gibson, Justin Siewald and Brian Griesman are not on next year's roster.

Position players not yet assgined to a summer team:
    Josh Whisler C
    Taylor Sanagorski C
    Noah Croft C
    Keenan Eaton OF

Not sure what is going on with the catchers. Fatigue is not a factor as Gunnar Troutwine caught the great majority of innings this past season. There were no catchers in the announced recruiting class. This might be an issue worth keeping an eye on.

Not sure what to think about Keenan Eaton. Always possible he will be assigned to a team later.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 1, 2016, 07:43 PM.

Comment

I found Taylor Sanagorski listed on the Kansas Cannons (Kansas Collegiate League) 2016 roster. The majority of that team is Juco players with a few D-II players sprinkled in.

http://www.kansascannons.com/roster.htm

I found Josh Whisler listed on the Edenton (NC) Steamers (Coastal Plains League) 2016 roster.

No idea why they weren't listed on the goShockers.com announcement. Perhaps just sloppiness by Scott Gurss?????
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 1, 2016, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        At this point 19 Shockers have been assigned to summer teams:

Alec Bohm – Wilmington (N.C.) Sharks (Coastal Plains League)
        Chandler Sanburn – Holly Springs (N.C.) Salamanders (Coastal Plains League)
        Cody Tyler – Wilmington (N.C.) Sharks (Coastal Plains League)
        Trey Vickers – Fayetteville (N.C.) SwampDogs (Coastal Plains League)
        That's a pretty impressive list of teams especially in the Cape.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Position players not yet assgined to a summer team:
          Josh Whisler C
          Taylor Sanagorski C
          Noah Croft C
          Keenan Eaton OF

Not sure what is going on with the catchers. Fatigue is not a factor as Gunnar Troutwine caught the great majority of innings this past season. There were no catchers in the announced recruiting class. This might be an issue worth keeping an eye on.
          With all the talk about our pitching problems and BK potentially being Butler's scapegoat, I'm a little surprised there isn't more talk about Brian Walker on this board. First, I do not know how good or not Brian is as a coach, but he is the "catchers' coach" and was a catcher at Arkansas and in the minors. Several have mentioned Gunnar's shortcomings as a catcher. For one thing (I've mentioned before), I was surprised Walker was Butler's choice for his only handpicked assistant coach. Noted the following in his bio:

"In 2013, he finished his third season on the Arkansas coaching staff and his second season as the volunteer assistant."

Maybe that's a mistake, but it doesn't give me warm fuzzies. Wichita State has always been known for their long history of solid catchers and this has been, and will be, key to any reasonable WSU success.

Comment

Originally posted by FutureShockerDad View Post
            Considering the size of the guys on our roster I am a bit surprised we didn't get anyone placed with the Hannibal Cavemen (Prospect League - Wood Bat).

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
              With all the talk about our pitching problems and BK potentially being Butler's scapegoat, I'm a little surprised there isn't more talk about Brian Walker on this board. First, I do not know how good or not Brian is as a coach, but he is the "catchers' coach" and was a catcher at Arkansas and in the minors. Several have mentioned Gunnar's shortcomings as a catcher. For one thing (I've mentioned before), I was surprised Walker was Butler's choice for his only handpicked assistant coach. Noted the following in his bio:

"In 2013, he finished his third season on the Arkansas coaching staff and his second season as the volunteer assistant."

Maybe that's a mistake, but it doesn't give me warm fuzzies. Wichita State has always been known for their long history of solid catchers and this has been, and will be, key to any reasonable WSU success.
              Really hard to know too much about Brian. The following was also in his bio:

As the catching coach, Walker was instrumental in developing Jake Wise and James McCann at Arkansas. During the 2012 season, Wise was one of the best defensive catchers in the country, not committing an error in 438 chances in 2012. Wise was also effective in slowing down the opposition’s running game as he threw out 17 would-be base stealers. Wise threw out 20 runners in 2013 and had just four errors for a .991 fielding percentage.

In his first season on the Arkansas coaching staff, Walker mentored McCann, one of the top catchers in collegiate baseball. McCann, who was named a semifinalist for the Johnny Bench Award, enjoyed his best season at the plate, finishing the year with a .306 batting average with six homers and 38 RBI. Defensively, McCann had a .992 fielding percentage, committing just four errors, while throwing out 20 would-be base stealers. McCann was a second round draft pick of the Detroit Tigers in the 2011 MLB Draft.

It is always hard to know for sure how much of a any player's success is due to his coaches and how much is due to the raw material the coaches have at their disposal. In other words, is it nature or nuture when it comes to player development. I would submit some of both come into play.

Comment

Originally posted by FutureShockerDad View Post
                that what I was thinking also - should be really good competition and give a good idea of how these guys are developing.

Comment

Jordan Boyer seems to be a very good hitter when he got the chance to play. Why doesn't he play more?

Comment

List of summer teams updated to included Taylor Sanagorski and Josh Whisler.

Alec Bohm – Wilmington (N.C.) Sharks (Coastal Plain League)
                    Taylor Sanagorski - Kansas Cannons (Kansas Collegiate League)
                    Chandler Sanburn – Holly Springs (N.C.) Salamanders (Coastal Plain League)
                    Cody Tyler – Wilmington (N.C.) Sharks (Coastal Plain League)
                    Trey Vickers – Fayetteville (N.C.) SwampDogs (Coastal Plain League)
                    Josh Whisler - Edenton (N.C.) Steamers (Coastal Plain League)

http://www.goshockers.com/news/2016/...mmer-ball.aspx

Comment

Here's a list including links to their player or team stats page.

JAYHAWK LEAGUE

Derby Twins

Wellington Heat
                      ————————

NORTHWOODS LEAGUE

Mankato MoonDogs
                      Rochester Honkers
                      ————————

KANSAS COLLEGIATE LEAGUE BASEBALL

Kansas Cannons

Wichita Warhawks

————————

ALASKA BASEBALL LEAGUE

Anchorage Glacier Pilots

————————

FLORIDA COLLEGIATE SUMMER LEAGUE

Winter Park Diamond Dogs
                      Altamonte Springs Boom

————————

COASTAL PLAIN LEAGUE

Wilmington Sharks
                      Holly Springs SalamandersEdenton SteamersFayetteville Swampdogs
                      ————————

CAPE COD LEAGUE

Cotuit Kettleers
                      Falmouth CommodoresChatham Anglers————————

NEW ENGLAND COLLEGIATE BASEBALL LEAGUE

Newport Gulls
                      ————————

UNKNOWN or INJURED

Adam Keller
                      Zach Lewis
                      Justin Siewald
                      Regan Biechler
                      Ben Hecht
                      Noah Croft
                      Tyler Gibson
                      Brian Greisman
                      Willie Schwanke
                      Last edited by Wuzee; June 21, 2016, 09:45 AM.
                      “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

I noticed the Haysville Aviators have a lot of Dallas Baptist players and some Texas Tech and TCU guys.May be a team to watch this summer.

Comment

@Wuzee: thanks you the list of links. You do not have Zach Lewis or Justin Siewald accounted for. Should they be added to the unknown or injured or have they been assigned to a team?

Comment

Just missed them on the roster somehow. They're added to unknown. Thanks.
                            “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Amazing to me we have so many players playing in leagues I've never heard of. I know about the Cape Cod and the Northwoods league. I just considered those leagues to be the cream of the crop when it comes to choosing college players. Not knocking any of our guys, but I can't honestly say our guys need to be there. And some of these other leagues? Florida Collegiate, New England, Coastal Plains? How do they rate? Maybe I'm just selfish in that I want our guys to be playing in NBC affiliated leagues so I can see how they do over the summer, but it's becoming quite evident that the NBC is becoming less and less popular every year.

Comment

Working...
                              X