Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baseball 2017 Edition - What would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
    For this program to heal and get back to winning ways - needs somebody like Hooper who know how to win, and for all shocker fans to rally around.
    Wanting someone from a bygone era is like think the grass is always greener or that the backup quarterback should be playing.

Comment

Originally posted by FutureShockerDad View Post
      Wanting someone from a bygone era is like think the grass is always greener or that the backup quarterback should be playing.
      No, I disagree. Hooper was the epitome of what Shocker baseball was and ought to be. I believe he would recruit gritty player like himself and instill his worth ethic. He has proven his ability to play at the highest level and the ability to manage the game of baseball. He is loved in this city not for only what he did for WSU on the field, but how he carried himself in the city when he managed the Wingnuts. I believe the players Hooper recruits would go to war for him because he is a leader.

Comment

Please explain as right now I feel the grass has got a fungus and the water boy is the quarterback.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          Why would he need to do that. He got a contract worthy of that kind of performance from Day 1.
          He is leaving a lot of money on the table by being the "biggest looser" in the MVC. He has the following incentives on his base contract of $320,000

Conference Winning record: $13,333
          MVC Champion or Co-Champion: $13,333
          MVC Tournament Winner: $13,333
          APR of 0.930 or better: $13,333
          MVC Coach of the Year: $13,333
          NCAA Regional: $13,333
          CWS: $26,666
          Championship Game of CWS: $26,666
          Coach of the Year: $26,666

There is $160,000 dollars out there in bonuses just waiting for that breakout year. He should be locking up $60,000+ per year by just being better everybody else in the valley - which should not be all that hard.

Comment

The APR doesn't require a breakout year. I know he got that this season. Not sure about his 1st two years but chances are he did.

Comment

Some guys just have the "it" factor. Fred VanVleet is a good example. Kevin Hooper is the Fred VanVleet of Shocker baseball.

Comment

There is just not a whole lot to trust with this athletic department anymore. Anybody with a half a brain would say to jump on Hooper before it's too late. Money is more important to this department than a baseball program. That is what we now know. This is just not a well-run machine. And it's sad to because the resources and fan support are waiting. But since they don't care, I won't care. And it's why I didn't attend a single game this year. It'll be the same next year and they'll continue to make me care less and less as they wallow around in their former AD's dumbass negotiation skills. They'd rather sit than pay the price.

This **** pisses me off to no end. Top 25 pay for 21-37 results. That's some fantastic math right there.

It'd be nice to have a Schaus around right now. This school would be a monster.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Whoever said give Gene a call, that is a good answer to get advice but if anyone expects him to solve the problem they are misguided.

Comment

Apparently what I will do is not pay attention to WSU baseball for the first time in my life.

Good work, everyone.

Comment

I was one of the people who believed that Gene should not have been fired. I still believe that with all of the returning players we had coming back in 2014 along with recruits like Same Tewes coming in that 2014 would have been a regional worthy team had we not fired Gene.

Having said that, once we hired a new coach, I believe we are obligated to give him a chance to build his own team. A 7 year contract is ridiculous, but I believe any new coach has to be given 3 years. He has had his 3 years and they have been very tough. But I don't think he should be fired yet. (although the lack of progress and downright going backward might convince me to change my mind).

I do believe that next year his grace period is over and he needs to be held to the same standard that Gene was held to when he was fired. Which means we have to have an at large worthy team or he needs to be replaced.

My biggest fear now is that we have regressed so much, that they will allow him to skate even if the Shox have a very mediocre year. They will say we are making progress. It is past time for making progress.

Comment

He is leaving a lot of money on the table by being the "biggest looser" in the MVC. He has the following incentives on his base contract of $320,000

Conference Winning record: $13,333
                        MVC Champion or Co-Champion: $13,333
                        MVC Tournament Winner: $13,333
                        APR of 0.930 or better: $13,333
                        MVC Coach of the Year: $13,333
                        NCAA Regional: $13,333
                        CWS: $26,666
                        Championship Game of CWS: $26,666
                        Coach of the Year: $26,666

There is $160,000 dollars out there in bonuses just waiting for that breakout year. He should be locking up $60,000+ per year by just being better everybody else in the valley - which should not be all that hard.
                        Boatright probably views this as an expense savings opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by MizzouShockerFan View Post
                          It all starts with recruiting. Get over this mindset that if you aren't 6'1" or taller, you can't play. Get back to recruiting kids that are athletes, and have a desire to attend WSU. Most of these student-athletes were not even alive the last time we went to Omaha, and those numbers on the facade at Eck look awesome, but aren't relevant to today's players. You hear so much about the race to commit early, and to make sure you Instagram, or tweet the decision to Perfect Game or PBR can put that school commit next to your profile for the world to see...in some instances before they even play a HS game.
                          I love the freshman class this year. So much upside going forward with them. I just feel like maybe the coaching staff is so intent on looking for these guys that look awesome in a uniform getting off the bus that they overlook the kids that eat breathe and sleep WSU baseball and would walk through glass to have an opportunity to play on that field. Now, where are they????
                          The kids overlooked due to size are playing for other colleges winning Jr. College World Series and getting ready to play in D1 Regionals. Maybe they could have helped WSU this year.

Comment

seems like they are laying the roadwork for Kemnitz to be replaced.

This is really sad when the majority of this mess isn't Kemnitz

Comment

Originally posted by shocker3 View Post
                              I was one of the people who believed that Gene should not have been fired. I still believe that with all of the returning players we had coming back in 2014 along with recruits like Same Tewes coming in that 2014 would have been a regional worthy team had we not fired Gene.

Having said that, once we hired a new coach, I believe we are obligated to give him a chance to build his own team. A 7 year contract is ridiculous, but I believe any new coach has to be given 3 years. He has had his 3 years and they have been very tough. But I don't think he should be fired yet. (although the lack of progress and downright going backward might convince me to change my mind).

I do believe that next year his grace period is over and he needs to be held to the same standard that Gene was held to when he was fired. Which means we have to have an at large worthy team or he needs to be replaced.

My biggest fear now is that we have regressed so much, that they will allow him to skate even if the Shox have a very mediocre year. They will say we are making progress. It is past time for making progress.
                              I actually agree with most of what you said. BUT you have to show some progress in the third year. WSU is going backwards. The Shockers lost their last 5 Valley series. That is unbelievable. They topped it off by going 0-2 in the Valley tournament. This team was just plain terrible. They never had a winning streak of more than 2 games in a row. It is time to get a new coach NOW.

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
                                It is time to get a new coach NOW.
                                Well based on recent announcements by the athletic office that not going to happen unless there is

1. Gross professional or personal misconduct
                                2. Moral turpitude
                                3. Refuse to perform duties as Head Coach
                                4. Failure to properly supervise his coaching staff and program
                                5. Conviction of felony
                                6. Insubordination
                                7. Major NCAA violation
                                8. Pattern of secondary NCAA violations
                                9. Butler is hired for the Texas job (or any job for that matter) - but it has to be after June 30, 2016 or there is $300,000 buyout.

Comment

Working...
                                X