Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    HCTB was handed an empty bag of talent
    I'm calling bull on this one. I'm not saying the stable was full, but he inherited talent that would bat cleanup and be the Friday and Saturday starters on his current, Year 5, team.

I really think we're going to have a more constructive conversation if folks on both sides of the argument quit comparing to the previous regime and let the results speak for themselves, one way or another.

Comment

• shockfan89_
      shockfan89_ commented
      Editing a comment
      HCGS finished with RPIs in the top 50 6 times in his last 10 years including 2 top 25 finishes and 2 Super Regionals. If he really did this with basically no recruiting he was even a better coach than we all thought!!!

I agree with Cdizzle. Let's focus on where we are now, where we need to be, and how we get there.

• Play Angry
      Play Angry commented
      Editing a comment
      I think changing the quote to say a completely empty class of commitments to replace any of the 8 rising seniors would be accurate.

• Kung Wu
      Kung Wu commented
      Editing a comment
      Weren't a bunch of the players suspended due to receiving 50% off coupons? Were those significant suspensions, or not so much?

• IIRC, HCTB was billed as a recruiting guru. There are a lot of reasons, real and potential and false, why the program is, 5 years later, still wallowing in the mud. The real question is, how long will WE as a fanbase tolerate the current level of performance on the field? I believe it will be based upon who is available to take over and when.

Comment

• Let's fill up the "Next Shocker Head Coach" thread with coaching ideas folks. As soon as we're bounced in the AAC tournament, I have some special plans for that thread as well as the Bob Lutz thread. Let's just say the athletic department will be notified...

T

...:cool:

Comment

• Your move, Mr. Boatright.

Comment

• Got a bad feeling they're going to use every excuse to retain him.

Comment

• shockfan89_
            shockfan89_ commented
            Editing a comment
            Right now ADDB is just praying we somehow get an at-large so that can be the excuse. Otherwise he will have to point to our great success against the non-conference (164 SoS).
            Last edited by shockfan89_; May 25, 2018, 07:44 AM.

• The powers that be and the local media all seem to think he's a nice guy. I'm betting that gets him another year. At the very least they better not extend him.

Comment

• before the airplane lands in Wichita.

Comment

• If he is retained, then I’ll know everything I need to know about baseball’s priority at WSU.

PERIOD.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                If he is retained, then I’ll know everything I need to know about baseball’s priority at WSU.

PERIOD.
                KU bounced their AD for FOOTBALL...a sport not even the player's parents care about. If we retain TB, I agree that it appears we place less priority on baseball than they do on football.

Comment

• I don't think it's a slam dunk that a change will be made this year. I give it a 50-50 chance.

I am hard pressed to expect any better next year if Coach Butler is given another year.

We know Alec Bohm, Greyson Jenista, Gunna Troutwine, Trey Vickers, Cody Tyler, Chandler Sanburn and Adam Keller will move on.

Other possible departures are Luke Ritter and Codi Heuer.

A step back seems more likely especially if Ritter and Heuer get drafted and sign. But this may be the case whether we make a coaching change or not. But if they brought in a Wedge (which I conisder highly unlikely), Hooper, Standiford or Forbes (also doesn't seem too likely) they might be able to begin reigniting some fan interest in the program.

Comment

• Well there you go. Feel free to pass it around.

T

Comment

• If Butler isn't gone, my season ticket package will be.
                      Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

• Originally posted by Onegreatracer View Post
                        If Butler isn't gone, my season ticket package will be.
                        Conversely, if we fire Butler and hire a capable head coach (please, God, WEDGE), I hereby vow to buy season tickets next year.

Comment

• shockfan89_
                          shockfan89_ commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I will also pledge 2 season tickets in the box seats and an All-American club membership.

• Here is the bottom line in Coach Butler's 5-year record at Wichita State:

Regular Season - NonConference = 90-93 (.492)

Regular Season - Conference = 51-56 (.477) Conference Finish: 4th, T3rd, T5th, 5th, 7th

Conference Tournaments = 6-10 (.375)

Overal Record = 147-159 (.480)

NCAA Regionals = 0

Annual Records: 31-28 (13-8, 2-2) / 26-33 (10-11, 2-2) / 21-37 (9-12, 0-2) / 28-30 (10-11, 1-2) / 35-21 (9-14, 1-2).

So based on the bottom line what argument would ADDB hang his hat on to give HCTB another year? My guess is he would point to the improvement over the last 2 years. From 21-37 in year 3 to 28-30 in year 4 to 35-21 in year 5. Unfortunately those 3 years produced little to no improvement in conference play (in fact the conference finish declined in years 3, 4 and 5. I guess the Shocks did sniff NCAA play this year until they let it get away form them in AAC play.

To me though the biggest issue is the fan apathy currently hanging over the program. The longer that is allowed to continue the more difficult it will be to restore a more energized fan base.
                        Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 24, 2018, 02:03 PM.

Comment

• Bluzrover
                          Bluzrover commented
                          Editing a comment
                          ^This. Granted, I no longer live in Wichita so my vote doesn't really count. But I haven't followed Shocker baseball in nearly two decades. Sad.

• 1972Shocker
                          1972Shocker commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I don't think any of our votes count. Maybe a couple of posters do. What makes your vote count is the ability and willingness to write really big checks.

• Record vs. 1-50 = 22-65 (.253)
                        Record vs. 1-100 = 52-101 (.340)
                        Record vs. 1-200 = 95-140 (.404)
                        Record vs. 201+ = 46-9 (.836)

I'm going to try very hard over the next few days to remain entirely objective about this. Simply put, there is literally only one objective reason not to hire a new coach: too small a number in the athletic department checking account.

Comment

• GreatWhiteBuffalo
                          GreatWhiteBuffalo commented
                          Editing a comment
                          But he's a nice person!

• C0|dB|00ded
                          C0|dB|00ded commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You have no other choice but to be nice... if you suck.

T

• ShockTalk
                          ShockTalk commented
                          Editing a comment
                          At a minimum, going 43-39 against teams 101-200 is unacceptable.
                      Working...
                      X