WSU vs. WSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
    Josh Workman with a couple of solid hits to left and up the middle his last two AB's. That was good to see.

These come from behind wins are great, but I would just as soon not make a habit of it, but I guess as long as we have KCShox to shake us out of the doldrums we will be OK.

:good:
    Not sure what the deal was with Wash St pitching to him. He couldn't keep up with the starter's breaking ball. Josh looked as bad as he could have against him the first time. Every time after that, they didn't pitch him breaking and away.

I mean, I'm glad they didn't because I want Josh to get the hits but it started out looking like it would be a long night for Josh and they seemed to let him off the hook.

Comment

Originally posted by Tasmanian Devil
      Originally posted by KC Shox
      ONE freakin' hit thus far against a mid-week starter?!!!!? For all those who got all pre-mature about how our offense thinking they got it turned around against LeMyone and Harvard better check yourself. This team stinks offensively and has pitching issues.

ONE freakin hit against a mid-week starter and against a team who probably used their best mid-week starter yesterday against K-State who thumped this same team we are getting our ass handed from.

Freakin ridiculous. I'll come check later on tonight. Feel free to pile on if we come back and win this game (which I have a better chance winning the lottery tonight).
      I think it might be time you forget about the hitting of the last few years. There's something about the mental makeup about this team that could turn out to be pretty special.
      WSU had no answer for Wash. S.U.'s starting pitcher. I was very worried with us down 4-0. Thankfully the rest of the Cougar pitchers were not as good. However our batting issues are not completely resolved.

On the home run, the count was 1-2 and our pitcher left the ball in the middle of the plate. WTF??? I expected an outside pitch to tempt the Cougar first baseman, not a gift-wrapped home run ball.
      Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosewood
        Not sure what the deal was with Wash St pitching to him. He couldn't keep up with the starter's breaking ball. Josh looked as bad as he could have against him the first time. Every time after that, they didn't pitch him breaking and away.

I mean, I'm glad they didn't because I want Josh to get the hits but it started out looking like it would be a long night for Josh and they seemed to let him off the hook.
        Which pitcher(s) are you talking about? Nobody got a good swing against Humes but the other Cougar pitchers were not as good as Humes.

Washington State IP H R ER BB SO AB BF
        Humes, R............ 5.0 2 0 0 0 3 17 17
        Kost, S............. 0.1 2 3 3 1 0 3 4
        Davis, A............ 0.2 2 0 0 0 1 3 4
        Way, M.............. 2.0 4 3 3 2 1 7 10

Wichita State IP H R ER BB SO AB BF
        Kelley, Tim......... 4.1 6 4 4 1 3 18 19
        Fleming, Tyler...... 4.2 1 0 0 1 2 15 16
        Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by haysdb
          I guess I missed it. One of you folks want to PM me and let me know what I'm missing? I am stunned that a young man of so few words and such serious demeanor could give such a splendid interview. He seemed at ease, he was articulate, he complimented his teammates (so much so that Dusty must surely be blushing still), and he was open about the fact that he sometimes played selfishly last season. He talked of how great the team chemistry is and how much he likes his teammates.

Who was that person in the interview and what has he done with Conor? :lol:
          I don't think there's any reason for PM's on this topic. I've said it before and I got it from Conor - there were chemistry issues caused by at least 2 "star" players last year who weren't willing to "grab the rope" - a phrase I first heard used around Shocker baseball by the great Skip Bertman who spoke at the First Pitch banquet a couple years ago.

Conor talked about having fun and watching each others' backs. You have to play as hard as you can FOR THE TEAM, because not everyone can bring their A-game every day. If the others pick-up the slack, the team can still win. I read that there was some divisiveness last year caused by players that left the program, but that they're all together as a unit this year.

BEST EVER post game interview. Conor is going to be a great get for some MLB franchise in June. He said he "gets it" now, and I sure believe him.

--'85.
          Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

As for the 1-2 pitch, all you have to know is:

Freshman

Seriously, don't worry about it. We go the W, he has good stuff and now just needs good experience.

Comment

Freshman

Seriously, don't worry about it. We go the W, he has good stuff and now just needs good experience.
              No doubt, you are exactly right. It was a matter of a freshman missing location, it wasn't a bad pitch selection it was just bad location. Sometimes I think some WSU fans would not be happy with anything this team does, a win is a win to me whether they lead the whole way or come from behind, whether they blow a team out or win by 1 run, it all counts the same. I just know this team is fun to follow and it's gonna be a fun year (already has been).
              THERE ARE FLOCKS OF BIRDS AND MANY A CAT ------ BUT ONLY ONE WUSHOCK!

Comment

Originally posted by SekShocker

Freshman

No doubt, you are exactly right. It was a matter of a freshman missing location, it wasn't a bad pitch selection it was just bad location. Sometimes I think some WSU fans would not be happy with anything this team does, a win is a win to me whether they lead the whole way or come from behind, whether they blow a team out or win by 1 run, it all counts the same. I just know this team is fun to follow and it's gonna be a fun year (already has been).
                I had moved over to watch Humes from behind the plate in the prior half inning. When Kelley got to 1-2 on Murphy, I said something like, "OK, Tim bury one right here." Well, instead it was up and over the outer half. Murphy absolutely crushed that pitch. Other than that, Kelley looked pretty darn good, and thank goodness for a solid relief job by Fleming. Undoubtedly, a huge lesson learned by Kelley.

This team knows that you have to play all 9 to win, and appears fearless when down by a few runs.

BTW, what does the Hideo Nomo-esque "reach for the sky" wind-up do for these junk ball pitchers?

--'85.
                Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Freshman

You hit the nail on the head SekShocker... WSU baseball fans (including myself) are extremely hard to please. KU basketball fans are the same... they must play the perfect game to make the fans happy. Because of the tremendous success of WSU Baseball, we expect nothing but perfection... we must score at least 10 runs per game, lead the nation with <3.0 ERA, win the Valley each and every year, get to a Super Regional every year... and finally, accept nothing but a National Championship. Well, at least this is what KC Shox expects.
                  :D
                  SFL is back!

Comment

Freshman

I've been a Shocker baseball fan for 20 years and I've seen the good and the bad. (I remember the 1988 CWS games against ASU (I was watching on TV or else listenning to the radio broadcast; I think it was on TV) where we lost 4-3 in ten innings and then got killed 19-1.) I'm not sure where the comment "Sometimes I think some WSU fans would not be happy with anything this team does" came from or why it was made. The pitch in question looked (to me) like a bad call rather than a bad location; I was expecting, for example, a slider or curveball which would end up well outside the plate. I'm not a pitching coach and don't claim to be an expert; however I've seen a lot of baseball and it is common to see an "unhittable" pitch (e.g. well outside) on a 1-2 count just to tempt the batter. (I believe Clinton McKeever struck out on just such a pitch; I don't recall the exact count.) I was certainly happy with the outcome of the game and realize that the players are only human (and make mistakes). I was very impressed with Connor's defensive plays at third.

Comment

According to Terry Elliott, who has seen a few pitches over the years it was a slider, a good call, the problem it was a hanger. Nothing easier to hit than a hanging slider which in effect becomes a BP fastball.

Part of the bad location was that he hung the pitch. Just did not get on top of it or had a bad release point, but it happens every now and then. Maybe he tried to overthrow the pitch or maybe he just lost concentration on the pitch.

On top of hanging the slider, Tim's timing sucked. It's one thing to hang one to the opponent's top power hitter with no one on, it really hurts when you do it after giving up a hit and a walk to set the table.

It made for an exciting comeback win by the Shocks and, as mentioned before, hopefully Tim will learn from it.

Comment

Originally posted by SFL

Freshman

You hit the nail on the head SekShocker... WSU baseball fans (including myself) are extremely hard to please. KU basketball fans are the same... they must play the perfect game to make the fans happy. Because of the tremendous success of WSU Baseball, we expect nothing but perfection... we must score at least 10 runs per game, lead the nation with <3.0 ERA, win the Valley each and every year, get to a Super Regional every year... and finally, accept nothing but a National Championship. Well, at least this is what KC Shox expects.
                        Here is what I expect -

1. win the valley (it is a crappy league)
                        2. At least hang in there at around .500 against top 20 teams
                        3. go to regional every year ( thank you, crappy valley)
                        4. go to a super every other or every third year.
                        5. mix in a cws every decade or so.
                        THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE

You can call me Bill

Comment

Originally posted by William
                          Originally posted by SFL

Freshman

Here is what I expect -

1. win the valley (it is a crappy league)
                          2. At least hang in there at around .500 against top 20 teams
                          3. go to regional every year ( thank you, crappy valley)
                          4. go to a super every other or every third year.
                          5. mix in a cws every decade or so.
                          Au contraire mon frere....I do not expect the Shox to win the National Championship every year but I do expect them to win 40+ games and make the Regionals every year which they pretty much do so I am at the very least satisifed but not fulfilled.

But, you are right that some Shox fans have high expectations for this team. I am one of them. Do you feel thus far in the season that we are playing like a Top 25 team? I don't - we got our ass handed to us against the first team that was good and our wins have come against easy competition.

Our bullpen is weak, out hitters are inconsistent, our Conference will be crappy once again, and we do not have many more opportunities in the non-con to boost our RPI. These are all legitimate concerns that will cause us to fight an uphill battle. Had we not got off to a bad start, then this wouldn't be an issue as we would continue to hover around the Top 15. Now, we have a long way to go that's all.

I love the Shox and college baseball is my favorite college sport. The Shox have established themselves as a national powerhouse. Some of you may be content with that, I want to discuss things that are keeping this team from elevating to the next level. These issues will always be negative in nature, but you have to talk about them or express your displeasure.

What would you rather have, a passionate Shox fan who makes comments good or bad and cares about the team or some so-called fan who could care less good or bad what the team does.

Comment

Wash. St beat OU in Norman in Game 1 of their series.

Comment

Originally posted by Harold_Shox
                              Wash. St beat OU in Norman in Game 1 of their series.
                              :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Comment

WSU won games two and three against O-Who today in their double-header. They are now 3-0 against the Sooners. Nice little turnaround for that squad after losing to K-Suck and the Shox before heading to OU for that 4 game series.

Comment

Working...
                                X