No announcement yet.

Jones Overated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, IIRC, John injured/reinjured his shoulder during his sophomore or junior season and had to sit out the remainder of the season and all of the summer. IMO this hampered his development and was a major reason he never reached his potential at WSU.

Another story I heard was, John injured his shoulder in high school and was not able to hit right handed so he switched and hit left handed. He hit just as well left handed as he did right handed.

Comment

Where did DON'T KNOW ANYTHING go?

By the way, how prophetic a name for him to pick..
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by WSUBB00
        Also, IIRC, John injured/reinjured his shoulder during his sophomore or junior season and had to sit out the remainder of the season and all of the summer. IMO this hampered his development and was a major reason he never reached his potential at WSU.

Another story I heard was, John injured his shoulder in high school and was not able to hit right handed so he switched and hit left handed. He hit just as well left handed as he did right handed.

I heard that same "urban legend." I heard it from guys that played with him at WSU and against him in high school. While I remember him at WSU, I was too young at the time to truly evaluate his hitting fundamentals, so I am relying on his teammates at WSU's account of how incredible of hitter he was while there.

Comment

William, not saying J.L. wasn't a good hitter in HS or after WSU (I didn't see him play other than WSU). Just saying he was overmatched while he was with the Shocks. In the AB's I saw his bat was slow. Maybe the injury story has legs?

As far as asking Gene goes, if he thought J.L. was one of the best hitters ever, he would have been in the line up.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Harley
            William, not saying J.L. wasn't a good hitter in HS or after WSU (I didn't see him play other than WSU). Just saying he was overmatched while he was with the Shocks. In the AB's I saw his bat was slow. Maybe the injury story has legs?

As far as asking Gene goes, if he thought J.L. was one of the best hitters ever, he would have been in the line up.
            Gene has disdain for players that he believes are'nt fielding their position, and once you are in that doghouse good luck because pitching and defense trump any amount of hitting with Gene.
            THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE

You can call me Bill

Comment

There is definately some truth in that, Gene's doghouse can be VERY difficult to escape. It's possible that JL was nervous when he got his shot and his D limited additional opportunities.

Gene does like good D but there have also been some pretty good hitters that were defensive liabilities. Gene has a way of putting defensive liabilities in LF if he can't work them in @ DH.

Comment

Bottom line is if you are a "great hitter" you will play regardless of your fielding ability or deep in the dog house. Gene can be VERY hard to deal with, but we all know he wants to win in the worst way.

If you have two fairly equal players he will go with the one he likes better or the one that works harder, but I can think of VERY few instances where any shocker baseball player (hitting, pitching, or fielding) wasn't playing when they were clearly better than the guy in front of them.

Comment

I still say this thread was started by a KMC alumnus.

Comment

KMC

Rose, are you from Carroll? And in any case, are you kidding, or do you seriously believe anyone cares that Jones went there as opposed to anywhere else?

I remember when I was in high school that baseball attendance usually numbered in the handfuls, with most of those people somehow connected to the team.

Comment

It is kind of interesting how it did get quite of few looks on this topic. It sure must have hit a cord with a few people. Wouldnt you say!

Comment

Yea Im a BCCHS grad, class of 2000.

I just thought this thread was silly from the get go. I was trying to figure out how such a silly thread came about.

First, over rated is a dumb idea. Where is he rated? on what scale?

If someone thought jones was rated too highly, I would assume some real discussion would follow.

since that didn't happen, I presume it is someone who has a grudge on the guy. that opens up an infinite number of doors (maybe rj killed his dog, stole is truck, banged his girl and called him a doodey head but he couldn't find his guitar so he made this post instead of turning to country music.)

or maybe rj has seen how fands defend players and made the post himself to boost his ego :)

Comment

Do they let girls go to BC now?
                          Let's hope he can hit a D-1 Curve ball!

"God gave us the ability to reason, not religion" http://www.deism.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley Schmidt
                            Do they let girls go to BC now?
                            Ya, some pretty hot ones too..

What high school did you attend Shirley?
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Wichita North.

When I went to North there were four Catholic High Schools.

Bishop Carroll, Kapun, Mt. Carmel and Madonna.
                              Let's hope he can hit a D-1 Curve ball!

"God gave us the ability to reason, not religion" http://www.deism.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley Schmidt
                                Wichita North.

When I went to North there were four Catholic High Schools.

Bishop Carroll, Kapun, Mt. Carmel and Madonna.
                                Do you remember the triple-headers at the Roundhouse?

Kapaun, 1968. Now known as Plaza Del Sol Shopping Center.

Comment

Working...
                                X