Jones Overated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shirley Schmidt
    John Luallen from East High came in as a top prospect and never made it.

I am sure that Mr. Jones will get his chance this season and if he does not produce he will sit on the bench.
    It's about opportunities. Better make the most of them when you get them or somebody else will step up.

Comment

I am sure that Mr. Jones will get his chance this season and if he does not produce he will sit on the bench.

He had some defensive issues that kept him from the field.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
        Was the first post a "troll" to get people to say nice things about Ryan Jones? If so, then "it worked." :lol:
        Maybe for not much longer. He's had 3 opportunities and has not did anything in any of them and today against Emporia State he's struck out 3 times in 3 at bats.

Comment

No question about it, it's been a bad day for Ryan. The Shockers have struck out 12 times in this game.

Edit: Make that 13

Comment

I thought Kenny Williams, Jr. was going to be in the outfield mix this year? It would be nice to see what he could do.

Comment

Kenny will get his opportunities.

Comment

Today would have been a perfect day for Kenny to get a chance before the weekend battle.

Comment

Originally posted by 7hottamales

He had some defensive issues that kept him from the field.
                  John Lewallen was the all-american that got away, just didn't mesh with Gene I guess. John had always played shortstop, and was indeed suspect defensively at that position at this level, but there is no doubt he could have been moved to another position. John ranks to this day as one of the most talented hitters to ever come out of Wichita, his time at WSU was a dissapointment to say the least.
                  THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE

You can call me Bill

Comment

Ryan Jones starting to stroke it pretty good over the past three games.

Let's hope he can sustain it.

Right now he he swinging the bat as well as anyone on the team.

Comment

Ryan got three hit today one BIG double to lead off the nineth and scored the game winning run. I think he is getting there.
                      First a Baseball fan then a Volleyball fan and then I guess I follow the basketball team.

Comment

Yes, John Lewallen was one of the best HS hitters to come from Wichita; however, his bat speed was not up to the D-1 level . . . at least not while he was at WSU. (I don't know where he went after WSU or how he did).

Jones has a very quick bat and has other tools as well. He is just a little confidence away from being a very good player.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Harley
                          Yes, John Lewallen was one of the best HS hitters to come from Wichita; however, his bat speed was not up to the D-1 level . . . at least not while he was at WSU. (I don't know where he went after WSU or how he did).

Jones has a very quick bat and has other tools as well. He is just a little confidence away from being a very good player.
                          Ed, I couldn't dissagree more, and I bet if you asked John Driefort or Bill Scherich or Jim Maynard who coached him, Chris Wimmer, Tommie Tilma, Darrin Paxton, Paul Cheatum, Matt Criss, etc. that played at East with him, heck even Gene will say you're dead wrong on this one.

here is a bat-speed story for ya, John was at EAST his freshman year starting in his first game against North. His first AT bat is against Jeff Williams, The radar gun on Williams ( a future star shocker closer) that night was 88-91mph. Johnny Lew the freshman pup takes Williams yard the opposite way and never looked back. The kid truly reminded people of a right handed Ted Williams.
                          THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE

You can call me Bill

Comment

He was definitely legit as a hitter.

Comment

So if he was so darn good whatever became of this legend?

Comment

John transferred to (KS) Newman for his senior year. If you check the season statistics for Newman in 1994, John led or shared the lead in many offensive categories for the 1994 squad including a 449 batting average, 71 hits--46 singles, 17 doubles, 2 triples, and 58 rbi's.

IIRC, John was not drafted highly and began his life after baseball. He currently resides in Wichita and along with his wife is raising two (maybe 3) sons. Don't be surprised if you see the Lewallen name again playing baseball at the high school level in the future.

Comment

Working...
                                X