No announcement yet.

KWCH Story On Eck Stadium Sucking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The guys yesterday had shirts on that said Martin Security Service on them.

Comment

There may be legal / regulatory reasons for the beer rules (state licensing in the places where it's officially available?), but the overall situation is definitely foolishness that offers a poor fan experience at just the time when they ought to be encouraging fans to come back.

Maybe the security guards for WSU are TSA rejects -- the ones who were too officious and obnoxious even to be hired by the government.

Comment

WSU hired a new security company that started with men's basketball this year and it looks like they are also in control of baseball. They were awful during the basketball season as they were rude and had no consideration for the fans. As an example, after one of the basketball games, one of the Martin security guys was literally pulling Ron Baker by his arm out of the door of the arena to his car. Ron wasn't ready to leave yet as he was talking to family and friends. Martin Security think they are God's gift to security, are pompous, and take their job way to seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
          Maybe the security guards for WSU are TSA rejects -- the ones who were too officious and obnoxious even to be hired by the government.
          The security guards aren't TSA rejects, they're just rejects. Security work is right up there with McDonald's fry cook and roadkill technician in the job market hierarchy. It is one of those jobs done by people who are just a hairline away from unemployable.

Comment

I thought this was going to talk about the in-game atmosphere and scoreboard, etc. Anybody remember the CSF game in the 1996 regional and the atmosphere?

Its like they have forgotten how to use all the tools they have to get fans into the game - excpet for just blaring music when the next batter is coming up and in between innings. Scoreboard is a joke and the information they display. Plus the fans have unlearned all the traditions like "Ball Four" chant and clapping when you get two strikes on a batter, etc.

Comment

Another FAIL.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                I thought this was going to talk about the in-game atmosphere and scoreboard, etc. Anybody remember the CSF game in the 1996 regional and the atmosphere?
                Is this where we talk about how hard it is to get cast concrete to make noise in the same manner as aluminum decking?

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                  Is this where we talk about how hard it is to get cast concrete to make noise in the same manner as aluminum decking?
                  How hard/expensive would it be to put in some aluminum we could stomp on?

Wouldn't matter much, as they've driven prices up so much they can't fill the stadium at all. Baseball is a family-friendly event. $10 tickets are not particularly family-friendly as something to do more than a couple times a season. They need to drive down the prices and get people back in the stadium having a good time.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                    The security guards aren't TSA rejects, they're just rejects. Security work is right up there with McDonald's fry cook and roadkill technician in the job market hierarchy. It is one of those jobs done by people who are just a hairline away from unemployable.
                    I don't think you should include the fry cook and roadkill tech. They're just trying to earn a living.

Some security guards are nothing but want-a-bees and have found a way to be a legal bully.

Comment

1559590_10152333974188834_1946767464_n.jpg
                      On Saturday, my family attended the second game against Cal State Fullerton. However, it seemed like security and the ticket office wanted everything but for us to enjoy our time. We've gone to games for years and this was the first time that I've ever been so frustrated.

1. My dad is a veteran. Saturday's game was advertised as "Free Admission with Military ID." Of course, we wanted to sit on The Hill and enjoy some beers as well. After discovering at the outfield entrance that my parents had to get their free tickets from the main ticket stand, they walked all the way to the front.

2. As they hiked away, our remaining party discovered that our good beer wasn't going to be allowed inside the stadium. The 3.2 rule, which was never ever ever enforced before, caused us to leave and drive to a grocery store to get beer-water. But before we walked away from the entrance we heard veterans having difficulties getting onto The Hill because the free tickets they were given were not valid out there. Why in the world would that be? I called my parents as we left to get the beer-water to confirm with the ticket office that the tickets they were picking up would be valid in the outfield.

3. The ticket office told my parents that they could enter from the main entrances and walk over to The Hill. "They won't stop you," lied the ticket lady.

4. We returned with our beer-water and my brother, his wife, and myself paid for our tickets. My wife entered with her student ID. They checked the tops of almost every beer we had, like we would try to deceive them after they turned us away just 15 minutes before. Very annoyed and frustrated, we set up our chairs and tried to enjoy the nice weather. We set up two chairs for my parents and waited for them to walk across.

5. From a distance, we can see my parents beginning to walk across to us. They get stopped by security who check their tickets, tell them they can't sit on The Hill, and that their tickets are only good for GA. My brother and I walk up to listen to their terrible explanations. Flustered but not getting mad, my overly-patient, veteran father and mother walk away to pay to be able to sit in the outfield, where their chairs are already set up and waiting for them.

6. As they walk away, my brother and I talk with the guards about how silly this whole day has been and that the veterans deal did not say they wouldn't be valid for the outfield. They said they agree with us, but that it's out of their control. We continue talking with them and eventually, after finding out that those turned away were our parents, say, "Hey, give them a call. We'll let them over without having to pay." But by the time they had made that decision, my parents had already bought admission to The Hill.

I could keep going with other annoying things that happened with the security, but this has already given me a headache.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                        I don't think you should include the fry cook and roadkill tech. They're just trying to earn a living.

Some security guards are nothing but want-a-bees and have found a way to be a legal bully.
                        Similar to volunteer fire-fighters. Don't mis-interpret there are a lot of good ones out there that do genuine good. There are also ones that I have had experience with that just do it to feel important and boss people around.
                        The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                            Is this security you speak of an volunteer organization that gets a check from the university for performing this function? If so there are plenty of other organizations that would gladly take on that duty in a less Naziesque manner. I know the KWCH article says hired and new security company but this is exactly what they do-hire a non profit organization that needs funds

Agree Marty send it in.
                            The problem in the past has been with WSU's own red shirt security. I don't know much about the new guys except they have been told to enforce new rules no one knows about in a very unfriendly way. They also like to hide behind the batter's eye to use their phones, because no one can see them there, apparently.

The whole "3.2 beer has always been the rule" just doesn't fly with me or anyone else out there. Really? It's always been a rule? Show me where I could have found that rule last year or anytime the last 15+ years I've been going to games, because I can guarantee you none of the security personnel knew about it and it's not printed anywhere. So if you're going to drop a bomb on people like that you better damn well make sure they know it's coming. When people plan their day, pack a cooler and carry it 2 parking lots away or couple blocks down a side street and get to the entrance and get treated like that it's extremely maddening. As I said, I had no option when I was there except throw them all in the trash.

Comment

Everyone who has had a bad experience should call into the next coach's show and make the show be about fan experience.
                              “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by ShoxPride View Post
                                Here is the email I sent to the university in response to my experience on Sunday.

To whom it may concern:

I am very disappointed about the current way fans are treated at Eck Stadium. First of all I did not understand why an outfield hill ticket is a special ticket. It was an inconvenience for me but I made do at the game I attended on Sunday, March 31st. Secondly, I was very disappointed in the new policy on beer. The first reason was there was never any notification that full strength beer could not be brought onto the hill until we got to the gate. Secondly, I found it very conflicting that full strength beer is being sold at the concession stands. I understand you as an athletic department wanting to make money but you should not be punishing fans who want to attend your events. I understand the point of wanting to control binge drinking on the hill but you have to trust your fans as well. Also, I am sure that you are not giving away 3.2 beer in the All American Club and the Coastal Room. I feel like this is a complete contradiction and is punishing fans. As an alum of the university I am very disappointed in the lack of communication in the new policy's and the detriment to the unique atmosphere that Eck Stadium presents. I would appreciate an explanation and hope that you take my complaint into consideration.
                                The bold part was exactly what I was thinking yesterday when our cooler of Bud Light from the liquor store (4.2% alcohol was rejected). I have been in the skybox and coastal rooms, so that is what I was telling my friends yesterday that it is pretty contradictory and quite the inconvenience. We had to hit up the gas station at 21st and woodlawn and come back.

Comment

Working...
                                X