Brent Kemnitz speaks at 10:30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
    Well, I didn't hear it; I just read others' comments about it.
    If you didn't listen, then you are probably not qualified to comment. Words have meaning and the way things were delivered were interesting. It may be nothing - but then again if others came away with a similar feeling after listening then maybe there is something. Even the timing that he said what not consistent with what other have said/tweeted.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
      Well, I didn't hear it; I just read others' comments about it. But that doesn't sound too plausible, if only because it's also been reported that Gene lobbied on behalf of his staff. Not likely he'd have done that if he had thought someone was undermining him.

A far more likely explanation is Royal's. Kemnitz probably hasn't been too happy the last few years, either: poor results; increasingly nervous about his job status at a point in life when he ought to be able to fine tune his retirement plans and finances instead (something more challenging for him than for Gene, considering Brent's substantially lower salary); tired of being asked by recruits or their parents whether he'll still be around coaching guys a few years from now, or of hearing about other coaches spreading stories of impending doom.

So when the nightmare finally ended, and he woke up safe, still with a job and a new contract on the way, Brent's relief from the uncertainty was immediate and invigorating. That's a much simpler and more straightforward explanation (and thus a better one -- Occam's Razor in action) than anything involving palace intrigue. Not very satisfying for anyone into conspiracy theories, I'll admit. But much more likely to be the real story.
      Underlying the professional quandary is a significant financial obligation to others.

However, even if Coach Kemnitz was let go, then he would not be on the street very long. He enjoys an excellent reputation.
      "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
        Underlying the professional quandary is a significant financial obligation to others.

However, even if Coach Kemnitz was let go, then he would not be on the street very long. He enjoys an excellent reputation.
        I agree that Brent would not be on the street very long. However, it may be very important to Brent to be close to his kids at least while they are young. Sometimes things aren't strictly about money. Whether or not that is in play here I can't say for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          I agree that Brent would not be on the street very long. However, it may be very important to Brent to be close to his kids at least while they are young. Sometimes things aren't strictly about money. Whether or not that is in play here I can't say for sure.
          +1
          "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
            Kemnitz was always the main recruiter for Stephenson. Stephenson had built up any number of reasons that other recruiters could give recruits and their parents about why someone should not sign with WSU. It was getting to be prettry easy to do negtive recruiting against Gene.

Want to play for a coach that supports a pitcher who beans a guy in the on deck circle?
            Want to play for a coach who has to pay off women to avoid the stalking charges the police are pursuing?
            Lately, you can add...
            Want to play for a guy who's winning fewer games every year in the last decade or so? The better players will always choose the program on the way up rather than the program on the way down. Gene benefitted from that in the '80's and '90's. Then he suffered from that.

Someone asked if maybe Sexton had talked to Kemnitz before the meeting with Gene and the lawyer. Seriously? You think Sexton went into this without knowing Kemnitz' stance. Stephenson obnviously did not know Kemnitz' position. "If I'm fired, all the assistants are fired, too".

Kemnitz sticking around seems to indicate the next coach will be a WSU alum. Kemnitz may be skeptical of being the pitching coach for an unknown.

I think this raises the possibility of Hooper taking over. Hooper's weak spot is recruiting. Kemnitz is the main recruiter for the current staff. Problem solved.

Coming out of HS, Hooper was a 5'8", 140 lb. second baseman. In college, he was a .340 hitter (that's a guess) who had a sweet doubles stroke to the outfield gaps (that's not a guess). Hooper is one of the best over-achievers, compared to what you might expect, in the history of Shocker baseball. Overachievers tend to be overachievers their entire lives. That's just what they do.
            Replace Hooper with Standiford and I'm on board with that entire post.
            ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
              Replace Hooper with Standiford and I'm on board with that entire post.
              Yes, and make Hooper the other assistant. I'm guessing the pay would be better than he's making now and would have the potential of being a long term, quality paying position.

Comment

Working...
              X