Brent Kemnitz speaks at 10:30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GoShockers89 View Post
    Eh, he definitely hit the snooze button a few times during the downturn. Today's appearance was encouraging though.
    I agree. If he was in charge of recruiting over the last few years, he was asleep at the wheel. Either he was a poor recruiter or they couldn't develop talent. Probably a little of both.

Comment

Heard a good part of the interview in the car and just now was able to see what others reaction to it was. Mine was just like Doc's. I said it out load. "Wow! Just wow!" As far as him "acting" like the head coach, he made it very clear he has no interest, that that's not his bag, and very much likes what he does. He knew what he roll is until a new head coach is hired and he was very energetic to hold the fort. Didn't get the feeling they already had someone ready for the job, but that WSU did have several options to consider and that the list was growing. I know BK is a great front man and salesman, but this interview was very surprising.

Comment

do you think Sexton had some discussions with BK before the Gene meeting to get his thoughts on firing Gene and seeing what he thought and if he would stay etc?

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
          I was very happy to hear that they were at least keeping BK (I always thought he should get first crack at the job). But that interview just made me feel strange and it didn't seem like this was going to be a long term deal or something that was going work out for the good. BK was sounding like the new HC to me and not an assistant. If they already have the new guy in place and he is perfectly fine with BK than this should be okay. But if not, when they do hire the new guy he not only will have to follow Gene but he will also have to deal with BK who at least temporarily is acting like the HC and who has strong ties and praise for the last regime. I dunno but as he went on, I kept thinking in my mind this just isn't going to work (unless they do go ahead make BK the HC and then I think everything would be fine).
          Right now, he's the head coach, pitching coach, hitting coach, DOBO and baseball secretary. Maybe he was over-compensating, feeling like he needs to really represent the program and keep the excitement level up.

Comment

Originally posted by mjbaker84 View Post
            do you think Sexton had some discussions with BK before the Gene meeting to get his thoughts on firing Gene and seeing what he thought and if he would stay etc?
            Anything is possible but we will never know most of the details of how things have transpired.

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
              I was very happy to hear that they were at least keeping BK (I always thought he should get first crack at the job). But that interview just made me feel strange and it didn't seem like this was going to be a long term deal or something that was going work out for the good. BK was sounding like the new HC to me and not an assistant. If they already have the new guy in place and he is perfectly fine with BK than this should be okay. But if not, when they do hire the new guy he not only will have to follow Gene but he will also have to deal with BK who at least temporarily is acting like the HC and who has strong ties and praise for the last regime. I dunno but as he went on, I kept thinking in my mind this just isn't going to work (unless they do go ahead make BK the HC and then I think everything would be fine).
              I thought BK did an excellent job of addressing most of everyones questions that have been expressed. For every candidate that would be interested and have a problem with him being the pitching coach there will be two that don't. He is NOT interested in being the HC he has always been happy doing what he does so the new HC won't have to worry about BK wanting his job and having a hidden agenda. I don't get the feeling they have a coach picked out but I think we will see a new one within two weeks. For all intentional purposes he is the HC until they hire one. He the guy in charge until the new guy is selected. I'm sure the new HC will be very appreciative of GS and what he built and will make it known early and often. Most head coaches have pretty good size eqgo's and are not going to be deterred at following anyone even if it was someone as great as GS. I think that extending BK's contract only makes sense in that it not only gives BK a sense of stability for the near future and also sends a signal to the new HC that BK will be a force for a while. In light of everything that has gone on I see this a nothing but positive.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                Anything is possible but we will never know most of the details of how things have transpired.
                true true.
                I just wonder if BK supported the firing/resigning for Gene to inject new blood into the head coaching position.
                Im sure he could get a pitching coach job at other schools paying similar money, but seems to be very happy to be here still

Comment

I just listened to the podcast.

BK said that after Sexton called him and ask him to stay about be a part of the future, "give me energy I haven't had in years." Excitement etc.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                    Yes, Brent is surprisingly upbeat and seems invigorated by the future but at the same time extremely respectful towards Gene and his legacy referring to him as the "greatest college baseball coach of all-time".
                    It is called professionalism.
                    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

I disagree with one thing about this. If I'm a new HC coming in, I want to hire 'My guy" as a pitching coach. If Brent turns out to be "that guy", then so be it but still, I want the decision to be mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Hovpen View Post
                        I disagree with one thing about this. If I'm a new HC coming in, I want to hire 'My guy" as a pitching coach. If Brent turns out to be "that guy", then so be it but still, I want the decision to be mine.
                        So I guess you're removing yourself from consideration, then?

Comment

Originally posted by GoShockers89 View Post
                          Eh, he definitely hit the snooze button a few times during the downturn. Today's appearance was encouraging though.
                          I'm with you and NCAABound on this, Go. I didn't hear the interview, although I'm impressed by the reaction of critics like Doc who did, and I'm willing to trust their reaction. But I was frankly skeptical about Brent's recent recruiting or the idea that he was an innocent bystander during the downturn. The talent level has dropped off a bit on the mound, too.

Having said that, though, I have no doubt that Kemnitz is capable of great things or that he was a key, key part of WSU's success under Gene. So if this invigorates him, that's great news. He's shown plenty of drive and intensity in the past, and he's younger than Nick Saban, whose picture appears in the dictionary next to "intensity." So he should still have plenty left in the tank. Given WSU's commitment to baseball, if Brent can join forces with a compatible head coach, as I have every reason to expect will happen, great things may lie ahead. I'm eager for that to happen..

Comment

If you're the new head coach coming in and you know that Brent Kemnitz is going to to be your pitching coach, you've got to be absolutely ecstatic. He's one of the best in the game and his history with pitchers is fantastic.

I am 100% thrilled to hear that he is staying.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                              I'm with you and NCAABound on this, Go. I didn't hear the interview, although I'm impressed by the reaction of critics like Doc who did, and I'm willing to trust their reaction. But I was frankly skeptical about Brent's recent recruiting or the idea that he was an innocent bystander during the downturn. The talent level has dropped off a bit on the mound, too.

Having said that, though, I have no doubt that Kemnitz is capable of great things or that he was a key, key part of WSU's success under Gene. So if this invigorates him, that's great news. He's shown plenty of drive and intensity in the past, and he's younger than Nick Saban, whose picture appears in the dictionary next to "intensity." So he should still have plenty left in the tank. Given WSU's commitment to baseball, if Brent can join forces with a compatible head coach, as I have every reason to expect will happen, great things may lie ahead. I'm eager for that to happen..
                              Start knocking the ball out of the park and the pitching will get better.
                              "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

As would I, DPriuett, but I'd also be hoping he gets back to the days when he brought in freshman pitchers who had a major (positive) impact. It's been a while -- even Kris Gardner, who was solid, won just five games last year. Compare that to Fullerton's two freshman stars, as described by ESPN in their super regional preview:

"...Fullerton's top two starters, both freshmen: Thomas Eshelman (1.59 ERA, 78 strikeouts, TWO walks, 107 2/3 innings) and Justin Garza (1.92 ERA, 89 strikeouts, 16 walks, 108 innings)..."

I realize things are different in California, but wouldn't it be nice to see the second coming of New Mexican Steve Uhlmansiek, or midwesterners Aaron Shafer or Jordan Cooper? Let's hope.

Comment

Working...
                                X