Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ABC View Post
    I thought there were three key things rom Kemnitz's appearance:

1. His positive energy, regardless of whether it was spin, angling or whatever.
    2. He said the coaching search should not be handicapped by limiting it to the "family" or making sure it was outside of the family.
    3. That this is the most excited he's been about WSU baseball in several years. That comment was made at the beginning and really caught my attention.
    Based off this Seminoff tweet (I couldn't listen):

#shockers Kemnitz: (in or out of WSU family) "That can be a plus, but lot of people outside the family excited about coming and building."

it sounds like there's already been a lot of communication with potential candidates. Does anyone else find that interesting, given there's only been about 10 waking hours since Gene's presser?

Comment

If the reports of the tensions between Gene and the administration are even partly true, there is no doubt that it would have made for a difficult atmosphere for the other coaches. I am sure that the other coaches must have felt some degree of pressure that inevitably results in those situations (i.e. if I comply with things the AD is telling me does Gene take that as an affront, and if I support Gene's positions does it make me insubordinate to the administration?). At the end of the day, no matter what BK's personal opinion about Gene or Eric or their policies was, it has to come as a relief to have that tension resolved and it creates an opportunity to move forward. I think BK's comments reflect that. People can legitimately disagree about the issues but I think Eric was absolutely right that if consensus couldn't be reached, a decision had to be made if the program was to move forward. BK struck exactly the right notes and I think were entirely sincere. Gene is a friend and a coach that he admires (and nothing will change that), but he refuses to frame his career as a choice between Gene and WSU. He loves both and now that a decision has been made, he is ready to move forward with energy and enthusiasm.
      The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

I know people like Hooper and keeping Brent would indeed be a sign that they are looking from within. Hooper was a very good, exciting player to watch but I just don't see that (and the Wingnuts) being a resume you would want or settle for. If you keep the pitching coach in order to hire someone from within the program family doesn't that show a sign of inability of the new hire? I'm not saying that's why they kept Brent because he's one of the best, if not the best around. Any team would want him as the PC.

Comment

Hooper might take JT's job, with hibbs as HC............

Comment

Kevin Hooper would be the buy-low, sell-high type. Especially with Brent staying on as pitching coach, I don't foresee WSU ever totally sucking. You can argue whether we will get back to the pinnacle of college baseball, but with the dynamics within MVC baseball and that WSU completely outspends Valley mates, the cellar will never be found with this program...or I would have a VERY hard time seeing it happen. If Hooper shows any kind of major success, he could be set up to be at Wichita State for the next 30 years. This is home to him. His wife is from here. He has talked about turning down minor league jobs because of wanting to be around his family. Again, you could argue whether or not he does have massive success, but if he does, my future sons could be playing for him in 20-25 years.
            78-65

Comment

Originally posted by Trigger View Post
              I know people like Hooper and keeping Brent would indeed be a sign that they are looking from within. Hooper was a very good, exciting player to watch but I just don't see that (and the Wingnuts) being a resume you would want or settle for. If you keep the pitching coach in order to hire someone from within the program family doesn't that show a sign of inability of the new hire? I'm not saying that's why they kept Brent because he's one of the best, if not the best around. Any team would want him as the PC.
              Maybe, but extending his contract before the new HC is hired? I don't care how good he is, that is insane unless you already have cut a secret agreement.

Comment

I didn't get to hear the show, but if Brent is sounding the way everyone says, then I'm wondering where he was the last few years.

Comment

I agree, it seems odd to extend one guys contract. It was surprising.

Comment

Last edited by Guest; August 10, 2013, 05:21 PM.

Comment

That interview was just too wierd for me. I was glad to hear that BK was staying, but that was just plain wierd. He was praising Gene and JT and at the same time sounding like the new head coach. They must already have someone ready to sign who says he wants BK to stay, otherwise, I don't see how a new HC is going to come in and just have to accept BK as the associate coach. I have always believed they should offer the head coaching job to BK once Gene retired, but this situation just plain seems wierd.

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
                        That interview was just too wierd for me. I was glad to hear that BK was staying, but that was just plain wierd. He was praising Gene and JT and at the same time sounding like the new head coach. They must already have someone ready to sign who says he wants BK to stay, otherwise, I don't see how a new HC is going to come in and just have to accept BK as the associate coach. I have always believed they should offer the head coaching job to BK once Gene retired, but this situation just plain seems wierd.
                        It is very unusual to say the least. Since you and your better half are strongly in Gene's camp how do you view Brent in this matter? He would have seemed the mostly likely of the staff to pretty much be able pick his future employer if he wanted to yet he is hanging around. Do your harbor any ill-will towards Brent in this situation? Is Brent, by hanging around, giving his implied blessing to the decision by ADES to replace Gene?

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                          It is very unusual to say the least. Since you and your better half are strongly in Gene's camp how do you view Brent in this matter? He would have seemed the mostly likely of the staff to pretty much be able pick his future employer if he wanted to yet he is hanging around. Do your harbor any ill-will towards Brent in this situation? Is Brent, by hanging around, giving his implied blessing to the decision by ADES to replace Gene?
                          I was very happy to hear that they were at least keeping BK (I always thought he should get first crack at the job). But that interview just made me feel strange and it didn't seem like this was going to be a long term deal or something that was going work out for the good. BK was sounding like the new HC to me and not an assistant. If they already have the new guy in place and he is perfectly fine with BK than this should be okay. But if not, when they do hire the new guy he not only will have to follow Gene but he will also have to deal with BK who at least temporarily is acting like the HC and who has strong ties and praise for the last regime. I dunno but as he went on, I kept thinking in my mind this just isn't going to work (unless they do go ahead make BK the HC and then I think everything would be fine).

Comment

Perhaps BK's first goal is to do what he can to reassure players and recruits? In lieu of having a current head coach, BK is the exact person you want stepping up and putting forth the positive energy needed to make sure the players understand that their future remains not only bright, but possibly even brighter now. Why does it need to be more complicated than that?
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                              I didn't get to hear the show, but if Brent is sounding the way everyone says, then I'm wondering where he was the last few years.
                              Loyalty.

Comment

Last edited by Guest; August 10, 2013, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X