[Gm 2] WSU vs Dirt Bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tripleshock View Post
    I don't think anyone has any doubt that this year's (and for the last several years) team(s) are underperforming hitting-wise compared to earlier Shocker teams, and also as compared to national averages.

The thing about the changes in bats (from -5 to -3) is.... that it does make somewhat of a difference when comparing statistics between the pre-change and post-change periods.
    I have looked at the data - maybe I can find it again, but if you compared WSU hitting and pitching verses the NCAA average (metric was average run scored) you will find:

1. WSU pitching held it opponents to below average scoring. This has been at a fairly constant level, with a recent decline of where WSU is starting to trend toward the NCAA average.

2. WSU hitting is well above average in those year it was nationally relevant (e.g. CWS team or super regioinal team. Since about 2006, the hitting has either been at the NCAA average or below.

It is a trivial exercise to calculate what a team winning pct by the number of runs it scores vs runs allowed, the closer these are the closer a team will either trend to 0.500.

Comment

Working...
    X