No announcement yet.

2024 NCAA Baseball Tournament Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dylan Dreiling is from Hays if you didn’t know.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
      The power that Tennessee exhibits is a bit unnatural in my opinion.
      Everything old is new again.

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker82/85 View Post
        Dylan Dreiling is from Hays if you didn’t know.
        Used to be a day when we had the state locked up. Unfortunately it's been a little while.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

Used to be a day when we had the state locked up. Unfortunately it's been a little while.
          We lament this quite often, and yes, it's truthful. But the inference is generally that "we" (WSU in this case) have lost our edge or ability or clout etc. And while that is also true, I don't believe it tells the full story or most of the story.

30 years ago (even 20), a kid like Dylan just wouldn't get the exposure he does today. There weren't multiple regional and national "showcases" nor was there the ability to share your physical attributes and abilities, much less your ability to simply upload and share videos of your accomplishments (and show only your best and never your worst).

It is an entirely different world today, and kids with talent rarely go unnoticed for any length of time. I remember getting basically lectured from a college coach when I was senior in college (I got paired with him at Braeburn) because I didn't play college golf. He was like "why didn't you play for someone?" I told him golf wasn't my favorite or best (I was dead wrong) sport. He essentially called me an idiot (dead on).

Not 3 years later, I knew a kid who had at least 3 college offers (he had maybe half my ability and a quarter of my skill) because he mailed out a dozen homemade VHS tapes. Different times and a LOT more competition for the skill that is out there.

And yes, we still need to restore greatness to this program!

Comment

• This might deserve a separate thread. I went to the Virginia-UINC CWS game yesterday. If all of the people in the concourses had been in their seats, it would looked like close to a sell-out. The stadium is as nice as any major league stadium that I've been to, and I've been to a lot.

Lots and lots and lots of activity, bars, restaurants around the stadium. It is a much better atmosphere for fans than Rosenblatt, especially outside of the stadium.

It was kind of bitter-sweet. The last time I went to the CWS was in 1996 - WSU's last appearance.

They at least did have poster/banner thing with the winner every year.

There was also a bronze back list just three people that deserved special recognition for promoting college baseball:

*Rod Dedeaux (USC)
            *Skip Bertman (LSU)
            *Augie Garrido (Fullerton & Texas)

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
              It was kind of bitter-sweet. The last time I went to the CWS was in 1996 - WSU's last appearance.
              Got a feeling the Phoenix shall rise again!

Comment

• Glad to see some difficult conversations coming out.

The SEC won its first ever CWS in 1990. They wanted that pie, not a piece of it, the whole thing.

Starting next year, the SEC will have 9 teams that have won a CWS since 1990, and they have won the CWS 18 of the 32 years since (not counting COVID year where there wasn’t one)

They changed the game. Huge beautiful stadiums, Athletic Program Support, etc. We will not be allowed to have the money to keep up with them. How do we compete?

We have to create a culture separate from the “Pay for Performance”, but still need some Benjamin’s to help.

How can we make Wichita State the place kids will turn down more money to come play? I still feel if Dr. Bardo would have been able to complete his vision we would all know how to do this. As it is, we have to help our current administrators figure it out. I believe they will listen to things that make sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                  Glad to see some difficult conversations coming out.

The SEC won its first ever CWS in 1990. They wanted that pie, not a piece of it, the whole thing.

Starting next year, the SEC will have 9 teams that have won a CWS since 1990, and they have won the CWS 18 of the 32 years since (not counting COVID year where there wasn’t one)

They changed the game. Huge beautiful stadiums, Athletic Program Support, etc. We will not be allowed to have the money to keep up with them. How do we compete?

We have to create a culture separate from the “Pay for Performance”, but still need some Benjamin’s to help.

How can we make Wichita State the place kids will turn down more money to come play? I still feel if Dr. Bardo would have been able to complete his vision we would all know how to do this. As it is, we have to help our current administrators figure it out. I believe they will listen to things that make sense.
                  The only way schools will compete with the SEC is to take the various members down for tampering, cooking transfer credits, corked bats and illegal juice. Prolonged legal fights coming from consortiums of colleges suing both the NCAA for not enforcing their own rules (which is tantamount to collusion when you look at the affected parties) and the schools plus NIL collectives is what has to derail the train. A few well timed injunctions pending litigation (let’s stop the Alabama-LSU game four days before kickoff) should get everyone’s attention.

Comment

How can we make Wichita State the place kids will turn down more money to come play?
                    For the most part, I don't think Wichita State can keep up as things currently stand. And I am not sure I really want to, although even if I did, there is little I can do to help if money is the answer.

IMO, it will take some kind of wholesale revamping of college athletics, at least college football and men's basketball. What that will look like I don't know but I think it will have to follow some kind of professional model being an option. Perhaps two tracks will develop. A Pro Option and a more traditional Amateur Option. Pick one. One way or the other the have nots will have to accept the reality that they simply will not be able to keep pace financially if things continue as they are.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

The only way schools will compete with the SEC is to take the various members down for tampering, cooking transfer credits, corked bats and illegal juice. Prolonged legal fights coming from consortiums of colleges suing both the NCAA for not enforcing their own rules (which is tantamount to collusion when you look at the affected parties) and the schools plus NIL collectives is what has to derail the train. A few well timed injunctions pending litigation (let’s stop the Alabama-LSU game four days before kickoff) should get everyone’s attention.
                      So the SEC is good at cheating.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

So the SEC is good at cheating.
                        No, the SEC is making the rules. We need to think of the things they forgot.

Comment

• I see another tweet from Brian Green with that gif. Another one today? Any rumors or investigation as to who?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post
                            I see another tweet from Brian Green with that gif. Another one today? Any rumors or investigation as to who?
                            Another Wheat Woody??

SHWWWIING!

Comment

• A quick thought on "Northern schools" and the CWS. I would guess weather is as good in Wichita as Lexington, KY and Charlottesville, VA. Wichita is south of both cities (latitude wise.)

If you draw a straight-line west of Knoxville, TN, it about Tulsa's latitude. I don't think that Stillwater has a weather advantage over Wichita.

Comment

No, the SEC is making the rules. We need to think of the things they forgot.
                                They changed rules before they were rules if it benefitted their conference.

Comment

Working...
                                X