2024 Wichita State Baseball Transfers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mr_baseball View Post
    Where did we see Williams is leaving? I have seen anything in the paper or the transfer portal aka X.
    I heard it on Phil Stephenson's show this week

Comment

• Also listed on D1 transfer list which has always been extremely reliable.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Not arguing with you at all. Just a counterpoint.....is it really?

43 roster guys. We lost 5 to eligibility, ie they ran out of it.

That leaves 38 who could return and play.

We've lost 10 (26% of the players) and arguably our best (LaPour) plus 3 of the top 15 or so most talented (Williams, Geraghty & Parker Jr). 26% numerically but maybe 33% of our talent.

That seems like a fairly healthy hit that over time is completely unsustainable if you plan to have a consistently successful program.
        I get where you're coming from, and I'm not painting rainbows, but I do think it's a step forward. I think ShockerExpress summed up most of where I'm coming from fairly well. It's not GREAT. But it's a step in the right direction. Guys like Livingston, Haworth, CJohnson could EASILY be moving south for paychecks, and so far they don't appear to be. Geraghty and DPJ have potential and I'd love to have kept them, but in reality they both spent the last 2 months on the bench behind guys that have decided to stay. I think it makes sense that those guys are interested in trying to find regular playing time elsewhere, and I think it makes reasonable enough sense that WSU didn't prioritize them too highly given what they demonstrated this season. I think we have different evaluations of 'talent' and that's fine. Neither Geraghty nor DPJ contributed a lick to WSU winning games this season, despite ample chances. And I say that as someone that I'm pretty sure is holding 90%+ of available DPJ shares. I'm on record that I think those 2 will be successful elsewhere, but I think it's very unfair to call them 15% of WSU's 'talent' during the 2024 season.

Having said all that, we need pitching, pitching and more pitching to manifest itself from places I don't even know exist, or it's not gonna matter a whole heckuva lot. LaPour was the key and he appears gone.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjbaker84 View Post
          ECU fans won't like this.

LHP Zach Root has entered the transfer portal (along with outfield Luke Nowak). ECU already removed both from their website...
          If accurate, they're going to hate losing Bristol Carter too. The freshman was just about the highest level recruit in our conference. Hit .346 this year. That loss will sting bigly.

There's NO doubt their program is strong, but that's a lot to replace, for anyone. Kind of makes you wonder if Godwin will be gone, to be honest.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

I get where you're coming from, and I'm not painting rainbows, but I do think it's a step forward. I think ShockerExpress summed up most of where I'm coming from fairly well. It's not GREAT. But it's a step in the right direction. Guys like Livingston, Haworth, CJohnson could EASILY be moving south for paychecks, and so far they don't appear to be. Geraghty and DPJ have potential and I'd love to have kept them, but in reality they both spent the last 2 months on the bench behind guys that have decided to stay. I think it makes sense that those guys are interested in trying to find regular playing time elsewhere, and I think it makes reasonable enough sense that WSU didn't prioritize them too highly given what they demonstrated this season. I think we have different evaluations of 'talent' and that's fine. Neither Geraghty nor DPJ contributed a lick to WSU winning games this season, despite ample chances. And I say that as someone that I'm pretty sure is holding 90%+ of available DPJ shares. I'm on record that I think those 2 will be successful elsewhere, but I think it's very unfair to call them 15% of WSU's 'talent' during the 2024 season.

Having said all that, we need pitching, pitching and more pitching to manifest itself from places I don't even know exist, or it's not gonna matter a whole heckuva lot. LaPour was the key and he appears gone.
            Said it better than I could.

Comment

• Comment

• Love seeing the engagement going on. Baby steps.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• LaPortal is in Knoxville this weekend.

Comment

• Tennessee is becoming the Arkansas of men’s basketball. SEC slop.

Hope the grass is greener for ya Tommy.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• So frustrating. Leaves where is the "ace" for "a likihood spot in the bullpen to work into the rotation."

He is very talented, I would guess it will likely work out for him. Really. - But then again maybe not! These guys that transfer so often just end up in worse spots because people are in their ear. It is so dumb and so counter-productive to their progress.

Comment

• I am done with the athletes that transfer for a paycheck. Good riddance and dont let the door hit you in the a** on the way out. That goes for any sport. If you dont want to be part of a culture then we dont want you and I am sorry we wasted a year trying to support you.

Young people will someday learn the lesson that there are more important things in life than money.
                          Go Shocks!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerDropOut View Post
                            I am done with the athletes that transfer for a paycheck. Good riddance and dont let the door hit you in the a** on the way out. That goes for any sport. If you dont want to be part of a culture then we dont want you and I am sorry we wasted a year trying to support you.

Young people will someday learn the lesson that there are more important things in life than money.
                            I don't disagree but if you were 19 and an SEC school offered you 6 figures a year to come pitch for them would you say no?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerDropOut View Post
                              I am done with the athletes that transfer for a paycheck. Good riddance and dont let the door hit you in the a** on the way out. That goes for any sport. If you dont want to be part of a culture then we dont want you and I am sorry we wasted a year trying to support you.

Always love these comments. Just about every coach uses mid majors for a higher paying job if they can. Half the kids in the portal were told they aren't welcome back by the coach and aren't looking for NIL. D1 sports are cut throat because people are paid to win. Now players have some power as well. College athletics is a 14 BILLION dollar industry

Comment

• Unfortunately small mid major schools are the minor leagues for the big boys. Just think of WSU as a small market MLB team. Some kids will like the smaller market but some will run to the big boys. They want to play in the big games vs big teams.

Comment

Working...
                                X