RPI
    -----
    WSU: 54
    Gonzaga: 258

ELO
    -----
    WSU: 67
    Gonzaga: 225

Okay this feels like a series we should be able to sweep.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Gonzaga only has 3 wins but one of them is against #6 Vanderbuilt.

Looking at their schedule something kinda pops out at me: They play their best in their 3rd game. So Sunday is likely to be a nail biter.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
      Gonzaga only has 3 wins but one of them is against #6 Vanderbuilt.

Looking at their schedule something kinda pops out at me: They play their best in their 3rd game. So Sunday is likely to be a nail biter.
      Good point. They struggle with quality pitching. I didn't think a month ago I'd say this but our pitching should carry the day, especially if we can be clean in the field.

Our formula really isn't going to change. Don't give free passes, play clean, compete at the plate. This weekend, that should be sufficient. But any deviation, any thinking "we're too good for these guys" .... any kicking the ball around and Gonzaga is plenty capable of quickly putting a damper on this positive start.

Seems a little silly to be playing a game in the 316 at 6pm on March 15. Oh well, maybe it will bring a bigger crowd than a 3-5pm start. Bring a jacket....heavy coat, ear muffs, gloves, scarf...it will be cold when the game ends.

It's nice that our weekend rotation remains in tact. That certainly bodes well. Injuries, so far at least, have been kept to a relative minimum (lost a couple of pitchers and we need to see how Gus is after the late crash Wednesday) and we've been able to build a little depth.

I would really like to see Will Stark get a shot tonight against the right hander. So far, who we've rolled out at SS & 2nd (offensively or defensively) haven't set the world on fire, and Will brings some speed plus he bats L vs Rogers, Parker Jr and Durnin who are all righties. Against the RHP they'll throw tonight, seems like a good chance to experiment. Plus, Stark is a great dude, stayed here, deserves a chance. I think he's around .500 OB% even though he hasn't hit much in very limited appearances so far (drawing walks works, moving guys over via a bunt works).

Hoping Jeremiah Arnett earned himself another look this weekend. We HAVE to find/develop some length out there. I'm good with the bullpen by committee as often as needed, but we need someone other the 4 starters (Favors, Zang, LaPour, Dobbs) to be able to go 5-6+ innings. And right now, that cupboard seems completely bare. Brady Hamilton is maybe the most likely, but for me, it's time (if the situation allows) to see what Agnew, Lee & Fettinger (and even Arnett whom we've seen briefly) can bring to the table. (FYI I'm almost sure one of those 3 are injured but I don't know). We HAVE to build some length out of at least 1 or 2 guys.

We knew we needed help before the season started. We only returned 11 so that's kind of Mr. Obvious ..... not really my intent, BUT we sure have been blessed by 2 freshman that have been LIGHTS OUT so far.

Camden Johnson FR 3B Fielding the hot corner VERY nicely. 43 chances, 8 put outs, 34 assists (and many of those showing off his cannon of an arm) and just 1 error all season with a .977% which is outstanding for the position and even better for a freshman. He's also been leading off most games, is the only player to play (and start) all 16 games so far. He leads (or is tied for the lead) the team in ABs, runs, hits, average (.397), walks and is tied for 2nd in RBI. Asked to do everything and so far has done everything. And then some.

Tyler Dobbs is maybe even a bigger surprise. While Tyler had a better fall, he doesn't bring a big time fastball that is coveted these days. But man can he pitch. His stats (don't discount in few chances that he's fielded his position cleanly including starting a double play) 6 appearances (tied for 2nd on the team) 16 innings (3rd) opponent BA .125 (first if you discount Bledsoe and Mulhollon who both walked guys but were let off the hook, MM by Dobbs) and barely able to see without a microscope ERA (0.56) and WHIP (0.63) both of which are probably unsustainable. All of those stats and he's 3-1. But here's the extra caveat......His 6 appearances are against

Virginia
      Iowa
      ORU
      Oklahoma
      Long Beach State
      Nebraska

I think anyone and everyone would say that's pretty much the teeth of the schedule. We've leaned on him, and he's bowed up.

Fantastic start to 2 careers with a whole lot of promise so far!
      Last edited by WuDrWu; March 15, 2024, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Do you think they’ll eventually shake it up and move Dobbs to Sunday?
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Baseball Preview: Gonzaga

SCOUTING GONZAGA: The Bulldogs enter play on Friday with a record of 3-11 after a Wednesday midweek defeat at SIUE. Gonzaga has played a challenging slate that includes road series at #22 UCLA and #6 Vanderbilt, where the Zags rallied for a 9-8 win in the series finale. The Bulldogs also boast a series win over Minnesota, taking two of three in the 2024 home opening series.

Through 14 games the Zags have struggled offensively, with a team batting average of .217 and a team on-base percentage of .315 that rank 282nd and 286th in the nation, respectively. The Zags have a team OPS of .682 and are averaging 4.1 runs per game.

The pitching staff is led by strike-throwing Friday starter Michael Cunneely, a junior college transfer who has issued just one walk in 15 inning this season. Cunneely has a 4.20 ERA but a very good WHIP of 0.73. However, the pitching staff as a whole has an ERA of 6.38, a WHIP of 1.82 and an opponents batting average of .293.

Head coach Mark Machtolf is in his 21st season at the helm of the Bulldogs, boasting a career record of 579-480 (.547).

The Shocks have a team batting average of .288 and a team OPS of .850 and are averaging 7.1 per game. Derek Williams tops the Shocks with an OPS of 1.134, followed by Jordan Rogers at .925 and Cam Johnson at .907.

I was a little surprised to see that Jordan was 2nd on the team in OPS when he is only hitting .229 but his 4 home runs, 5 walks and 7 hit by pitches give his on base percentage and slugging percentage a nice boost.

The Shocks pitching staff has an ERA of 3.85 and a WHIP of 1.25 with an opponents batting average of .208. Excluding the Auburn massacre those numbers are 2.84/1.13/.200.

So the Shocks loo good on paper in the series. But you don't win or lose games on paper:

To quote the esteemed WuDrWu

Our formula really isn't going to change. Don't give free passes, play clean, compete at the plate. This weekend, that should be sufficient. But any deviation, any thinking "we're too good for these guys" .... any kicking the ball around and Gonzaga is plenty capable of quickly putting a damper on this positive start.
          The Shocks have to keep on keepin' on and avoid taking anything for granted.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
            Do you think they’ll eventually shake it up and move Dobbs to Sunday?
            I don't know.....I kind of feel like no? I suppose if Tommy struggles with control again, they could...but that's going to mean a change with midweek (and right now we don't have a viable option other than Dobbs and at least as of today, winning midweeks matter and there are no freebie midweeks that I can see).

Let's say Tommy struggles. He's not ready to go Wednesday vs KState. You aren't going to burn Tyler in that spot if you want him to Sunday (I don't think). Maybe, IDK....put Dobbs on a pitch count Wednesday vs KSU then he's on another PC Sunday at UAB to open AAC play. I kinda think they won't do that UNLESS Tommy really falls off.

Tommy has the arm that Tyler doesn't. Tyler is crafty and has a hidden arm slot that jumps on you and can pitch better today. I think they'll keep Tommy where he is, also to give him the upside/option to move him to Friday or Saturday if it's a better match up, OR if he gets on top of his development and becomes an ace type, which, if he can throw 3 pitches for a strike (and he's only done it 1 time) he becomes a very, very salty option against almost everybody.

As I think about it more......maybe even leaning MORE to not changing it up. Keep Dobbs midweek (where you need to win some quality games, at least as of 3/15, and if Tommy struggles, well, Sunday becomes Johnny Wholestaff which has been mostly ok for us. And frankly, MOST of the American will be struggling on Sunday with pitching (except ECU).

Comment

Not how I thought we'd start, but we're okay.

Comment

Not amazing execution early. To be kind.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                    Not amazing execution early. To be kind.
                    Yep. This is starting to be a bit conerning.

Comment

Anybody else here? Kinda surprised there aren’t more here tonight. Pretty night.

Comment

And that’s how you draw it up. Timely hitting is better than good hitting.

Comment

Lezgo!

Comment

Dude. Defense is killing us.

Comment

I missed the grand slam.

Comment

Working...
                              X