No announcement yet.

2023 Off-season and Portal Recruiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just can't get past pitching stats and following that with bringing in his pitching coach. Someone tell me how that makes sense besides Pullman and Las Cruces are tough to win

Comment

• Anthony Claggett was the pitching coach at NMSU in 2018-2019 and at WaSU from 2020-2023. So those are the relevant years for compairson I would think. I have elected to leave out the Covid shortened 2020 season. While both teams had much better than the average season both also played non-conference schedules that looked to be significantly weaker than their typical PAC12 and AAC conference schedule and mid-week games would involve.

While I am sure the are other, perhaps more sophisticaed wash to evaluate pitching i am just using ERA's. The first set of numbers for each program are the full season Team ERA/Opponents ERA/Team vs Opponent ERA Differntial.

That is followed by the WaSU Teeam ERA vs WiSU ERA differntial.

I have also inlcuded the Conference ELO rankings per WarrenNolan.com for the years available was well as the overall SOS per Warren Nolan.com.

2023: WaSU - 5.55/6.55/+1.00.....WiSU: 4.41/6.37/+1.96.....WaSU vs WiSU -1.14,,,,,Conference ELO Ranking: PAC12 4th; AAC 8th.....
      SOS - WaSU/WiSU 92 /107

2022: WaSU - 5.17/5.04/ -0.13.....WiSU: 5.97/5.07/ -0.90,,,,,WaSU vs WiSU +0.80,,,,,Conference ELO Ranking: PAC12 4th; AAC 7th.....
      SOS - WaSU/WiSU 51/42

2021: WaSU - 5.44/6.33/+0.89.....Wi SU: 5.06/5.69/+0.63,,,,,WaSU vs WiSU -0.38.....Conference ELO Ranking: PAC12 4th; AAC 5th.....
      SOS - WaSU/WiSU 84/105

2020: Covid cancelled season before conference play started. Both teams had non-con schedules not as tough as their conference schedules.

2019: NMSU - 5.15/10.35/+4.80.....WiSU: 5.39/4.74/ -0.65.....WaSU vs WiSU +0.25

2018: NMSU - 4.02/7.64/+3.62.....WiSU: 3.91/6.46/+2.55...... WaSU vs WiSU -0.11 (Mike Steele's final year at Wichita State)

Persdonally, I don't think the comparisons with NMSU are all that valuable considering the huge difference between the WAC and the PAC12 and AAC.

Generally, I just don't see enough of a difference between Claggett's years at WaSU and Pelfrey's years at WiSU to get overly agitated about. Now the Shockers pitching was improved in 2023 and there was a good chance that would have continued if the coaching change had not been made. I think it is arguable that had Coach Green retained Mike we may have been able to retain more of our pitching from last year plus more of the incoming recruits. Although we will never know that for sure. I do think you need to let the new head man make his own decisions when it comes to building a staff. At this point, not much we can do about. It will either work out or it won't.

Here is Anthony Claggett's bio at WaSU FWIW: https://wsucougars.com/sports/baseba...-claggett/3073

I am more to the point of not be able to get past the difficulty WiSU will have in building and maintaining quality and stabilty in both our Baseball and Men's Basketball programs in the current transfe portal/pay for play environment.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 18, 2023, 03:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

Why?

U think he is lying about hiring assistants? He is not going to be able to recruit? He tortured Gene to say what he said?
        It’s perfectly fine to be positive. Just be careful about over promising and under delivering or one loses credibility.

I took his presser as his assistants would be announced over a week ago. Whether hung up by HR, Legal, or the dragging on of negotiations is a moot point. Shouldn’t say something if it can’t be delivered or one opens themselves up to speculation and deteriorating credibility. Kind of a rookie mistake imo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post

It’s perfectly fine to be positive. Just be careful about over promising and under delivering or one loses credibility.

I took his presser as his assistants would be announced over a week ago. Whether hung up by HR, Legal, or the dragging on of negotiations is a moot point. Shouldn’t say something if it can’t be delivered or one opens themselves up to speculation and deteriorating credibility. Kind of a rookie mistake imo.
          Coach Green has announce his staff to the team it's just not public yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockersdad View Post

Coach Green has announce his staff to the team it's just not public yet.
            When did he do that? Or is that a secret also.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

When did he do that? Or is that a secret also.
              Secret.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Secret.
                Not sure its a secret but maybe the school wants to announce something?

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Secret.
                      So secret, we might never know who the assistants are.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

So secret, we might never know who the assistants are.
                        New coach's attire:

1453757659224_satinzorro.jpg

Comment

• Leaked names of the new coaches are:

1. Secret Agent Man (rumor has it he has his own song too).
                          2. James Bond, secret agent 007.
                          3. Val Kilmer

Comment

• Originally posted by BAShocker View Post
                            Leaked names of the new coaches are:

1. Secret Agent Man (rumor has it he has his own song too).
                            2. James Bond, secret agent 007.
                            3. Val Kilmer
                            Would you believe Agent 86 was in serious contention. Must of missed it by that much!

Comment

• Back in the day Agent 99 was the focal point of my TV enjoyment. Also Mrs Peel held a spot next to my heart as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
                                Back in the day Agent 99 was the focal point of my TV enjoyment. Also Mrs Peel held a spot next to my heart as well.
                                Another Ginger vs Mary Ann controversy.

Mrs. Peel had a bit more appeal for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X