No announcement yet.

2023 Off-season and Portal Recruiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If a player convinces another player to hop in the portal, that most certainly could be tortious interference, since multiple contracts are potentially in play.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• If a coach/assistant coach exiting one school takes a player with an NIL deal along with him, that's tortious interference too.
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• I heard Tolle is being offered 6 figures to go to Stillwater. Kinda amazing he has stuck around as long as he has.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Concerning Tolle. I like the following:
          Name - solid name
          Image - handsome young lad (no, I haven’t changed teams)
          Likeness - he seems like-able
          I’m going to write him a check for $100k; can I make the check payable to him?
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Under the basic rules, ignoring any Covid waivers, the MAXIMUM number of players receiving scholarships is 27. The only minimum is that any scholarships awarded have to be at least 25%. There is NO minimum number of players that are required to receive scholarships. If you use all of your scholarships the number of players on scholarship could be as low as 12. Of course, their is no requirement to use all of your allotted scholarships but can't imagine that happening except in rare and unusual cases.

The NCAA Oversight Committee approved a one-year waiver for the 2023-24 athletic/academic year for Division I Baseball programs to have a roster size of 40 players, while also allowing them to spread 11.7 scholarships over 32 players instead of the 27-counter cap that used to be in place. The extra 5 roster spots and scholarship counter spots are only available to the extent you still have players who were on official roster in the 2020 Covid shortened season.

https://d1baseball.com/ncaa/ncaa-app...p-flexibility/

Once the players with the extra covid eligibility are out of the system these waivers will be a thing of the past although as you say we may be moving a fully funded head count sport for baseball at some point.
            Best I can tell the Shocks do not have any players remaining from the 2020 roster so the 2023-24 waiver is irrelevant to the Shocks. If I am understanding how this works they will be working with the 27 player scholarship cap and the 35 player roster limit got 2023-24.

The way it is looking it might be a challenge to have 35 players on the roster this year. Not that you can't get by with less than that.

Things were tough enough for Coach Green but he did himself no favors by saying this is not a rebuild and that he would have his coaching staff in place by last Saturday.

Not sure , Coach Green, or any coach for that matter, can can build a solid program at Wichita State in this Transfer Portal/NIL era. It appears that the head coach is no longer the key to that. College athletics is looking more and more like our corrupt American political system. The rulers are the Media Moguls and the Donor Class.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 15, 2023, 06:47 PM.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post
                That's probably a good move for them. He could recruit very well. That's probably the ceiling as far as his role on a team.

Maybe my timeline is wrong, but did he recruit Tolle at all? Could be a play to get him to OU?

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Interesting take. Unfortunately it's both punitive and petty (and I am a big proponent of both to be frank) and does nothing for WSU.

Grant got full tuition and NIL north of 20K. Chuck got a complete full ride and an NIL near 50K.

Brock will leverage a deal somewhere (likely LSU or similar) for around 200K then see if his draft team will beat it.

Tolle will be offered the moon.

Until we (and by we I mean everyone bitching on this fine forum multiplied by A THOUSAND) starts ponying up in the neighborhood of say $10 a month specifically for baseball with Armchair Strategies so they have around $420,000 PER YEAR to spend on proven talent ($600K less their 30% cut....and that amount will continue to rise, rapidly, every season) then you might as well forget competing for post season because it's going to be a crap shoot at best every year, and we have zero chance at Omaha or a Natty.

If you're good enough and lucky enough to recruit and keep a talented kid, then he works his butt off and you coach him up and he gets good, he's GONZO, every freaking time. If you can't keep a generational player and even better young man who is loyal beyond loyal like Payton Tolle, then you can't keep anyone. Period, end of discussion.

This is pay for play. We aren't paying, so we aren't playing. It's as simple as that.

To make it worse, we're way behind in this process. Everyone else has a head start and will continue to have more and more money to throw at the best kids. It's rotten to the core, but today, that's how it is.
                  200k in NIL is not reality for baseball yet. Look it up last year the highest NIL was Enrique Bradford at Vandy for around 60g. LSU isn't offering anyone full rides there are only 11.7 total.

Comment

• Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                      This is great news, I know he and Tolle were buds, maybe him coming back could influence Mr. Tolle to rethink his position?

An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

• Updated:

bball grid.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by JJClamdip View Post

This is great news, I know he and Tolle were buds, maybe him coming back could influence Mr. Tolle to rethink his position?
                          Dear Baby Jesus...
                          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockersdad View Post

200k in NIL is not reality for baseball yet. Look it up last year the highest NIL was Enrique Bradford at Vandy for around 60g. LSU isn't offering anyone full rides there are only 11.7 total.
                            There have been $200k offers, but that is not per year. Most are a total payout over college career assuming they stay.

Comment

• Originally posted by JJClamdip View Post

Birge and Tolle were besties too. Stroh returning certainly isn't bad news.

Comment

• Maybe I am was too far up my own ass when they announced Green. But more are back than I thought there would be.

Comment

Working...
                                X