2012 Summer Ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
    Aaron LaBrie had the second best ERA (2.11) of anyone on his team (including only pitchers who pitched more than 13 innings). His final stats with the Wilson North Carolina Tobs:

Aaron LaBrie........ ERA: 2.11 RECORD: 1-2 GAME APPEARANCES: 18 SAVES : 1 INNINGS PITCHED: 38.1 HITS: 39 RUNS: 19 EARNED RUNS: 9 WALKS: 16 STRIKE OUTS: 31 HOME RUNS ALLOWED: 0 ABS: 153 BA: .255

http://www.coastalplain.com/statistics/2012/wls.htm
    I have to say, 1989, that the info about LaBrie wasn't nearly as exciting to me as it may have been to you. For a college pitcher, 39 hits in 38.1 IP isn't great, nor is 16 walks or 55 runners (1.44 WHIP) in those same 38.1 innings. And the ERA of 2.11 doesn't look nearly as impressive when you consider that fewer than half the runs he gave up were "earned." I haven't seen any of his scoresheets, but most unearned runs score on hits, so his average of 4.46 runs/9 IP seems a more meaningful stat, and again not all that noteworthy.

Still, there's no question a number of the guys were impressive, so that bodes well for next season. And who knows -- maybe LaBrie will be just fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
      I have to say, 1989, that the info about LaBrie wasn't nearly as exciting to me as it may have been to you. For a college pitcher, 39 hits in 38.1 IP isn't great, nor is 16 walks or 55 runners (1.44 WHIP) in those same 38.1 innings. And the ERA of 2.11 doesn't look nearly as impressive when you consider that fewer than half the runs he gave up were "earned." I haven't seen any of his scoresheets, but most unearned runs score on hits, so his average of 4.46 runs/9 IP seems a more meaningful stat, and again not all that noteworthy.

Still, there's no question a number of the guys were impressive, so that bodes well for next season. And who knows -- maybe LaBrie will be just fine.
      I really wasn't trying to show any excitement or emotion one way or another on that post. Just stating facts. His era was second best on the team and then stated all of his actual stats. I do think the fact that he got to pitch in 18 games with 38. 1 innings pitched was very good for him. I also think he did fine in those outings. Not great but he did all right.

Comment

Summer League summary for the 22 returning players as best I can put together from the shockernet posts:
        31 Arens, Bob Played in Alaska League hit .224 with 1 HR and 3 doubles
        17 Baker, Tyler Made top prospects list for Jayhawk League-hit .238 with 14 doubles, 3 HRs and 20 rbis for Liberal
        28 Bayliff, Garrett Rehabing from injury -took summer off
        27 Beringer, Zach Rehabing from car accident
        25 Coy, Johnny Took summer off
        21 Doggett, Taylor Left summer team early to return home for summer school and work
        4 Elam, Cale pitched in cape cod league, haven't seen any stats for him
        13 Gardner, Kris Had 2nd best record & era in the prospect league (7-1, 2.33 era) Named to league midseason and final All Star teams, named a top prospect.
        16 Gillaspie, Casey Made North Woods League All Star team Hit .332 with 12 HRs. Finished 2nd in League HR hitting contest. Named a top prospect.
        32 Green, Micah Hit .239 in Alaska League with 1 HR and 6 doubles. Made All Star team and top prospects list for Alaska League.
        9 Halbert, Josh Named to NBCWS All Star team. Hit .329 with 32 rbis, 12 doubles and 23 walks for the Kansas Canons.
        38 Harbutz, Erik Hit .261 with 3 HRs in Alaska League- Made Alaska League All Star team
        7 Knight, Conner Hit .324 with Haysville Heat in Jayhawk League with 3 doubles and 8 rbis.
        19 LaBrie, Aaron Had second best era on his team (2.11) Had 31 strike outs vs. 16 walks. Appeared in 18 games, pitching 38.1 innings.
        23 Ladwig, A.J. Ended up resting during summer
        15 Mateychick, Tobin Took the summer off
        40 McGreevy, TJ Had team best era of .74 for NBC National Champion Santa Barbara. 5-1 record. Struck out 19, walked 5.
        33 Minnis, Albert Had a era of 2.23 for NBC Champs Santa Barbara. 2-0 record with 1 save. Struck out 38, walked 7. Named a top prospect.
        8 Mucha, Mikel Hit .291 with 1 HR and 8 rbis for El Dorado, left team early with a minor injury.
        11 Parker, Dayne Hit .324 with 2 HRs, 10 doubles and 14 rbis for Liberal in the Jayhawk League. Named a top prospect.
        39 Vail, Kyle Left summer team early
        14 Vielock, Foster

Thanks for posting this summary. It makes it very easy to see how everyone fared. Several of the guys certainly did have impressive summers.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
          I can't see the posts where different colors of text are used. Am I the only one who has bad eyes?
          I, too, thought it was very hard to read. However, I just start at the top, hold down the left button on my mouse, pull the mouse down through the text, and release the button at the end. It should highlight the area and make it easier to read.

Comment

• I see what you guys are talking about. Had no problem on my phone, but now that I'm hope and on the laptop, it's not good.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
              I see what you guys are talking about. Had no problem on my phone, but now that I'm hope and on the laptop, it's not good.
              It also makes a difference on whether one is using the "dark" or "light" setting for the forum. Sometimes what might look good on the light setting, doesn't on the dark and vice versa.

Comment

• I use the light setting, so I didn't know what they were talking about. I just switched to the dark setting and I can't read it. That is the difference in this case.

Comment

Summer League summary for the 22 returning players as best I can put together from the shockernet posts:
                  31 Arens, Bob Played in Alaska League hit .224 with 1 HR and 3 doubles
                  17 Baker, Tyler Made top prospects list for Jayhawk League-hit .238 with 14 doubles, 3 HRs and 20 rbis for Liberal
                  28 Bayliff, Garrett Rehabing from injury -took summer off
                  27 Beringer, Zach Rehabing from car accident
                  25 Coy, Johnny Took summer off
                  21 Doggett, Taylor Left summer team early to return home for summer school and work
                  4 Elam, Cale pitched in cape cod league, haven't seen any stats for him
                  13 Gardner, Kris Had 2nd best record & era in the prospect league (7-1, 2.33 era) Named to league midseason and final All Star teams, named a top prospect.
                  16 Gillaspie, Casey Made North Woods League All Star team Hit .332 with 12 HRs. Finished 2nd in League HR hitting contest. Named a top prospect.
                  32 Green, Micah Hit .239 in Alaska League with 1 HR and 6 doubles. Made All Star team and top prospects list for Alaska League.
                  9 Halbert, Josh Named to NBCWS All Star team. Hit .329 with 32 rbis, 12 doubles and 23 walks for the Kansas Canons.
                  38 Harbutz, Erik Hit .261 with 3 HRs in Alaska League- Made Alaska League All Star team
                  7 Knight, Conner Hit .324 with Haysville Heat in Jayhawk League with 3 doubles and 8 rbis.
                  19 LaBrie, Aaron Had second best era on his team (2.11) Had 31 strike outs vs. 16 walks. Appeared in 18 games, pitching 38.1 innings.
                  23 Ladwig, A.J. Ended up resting during summer
                  15 Mateychick, Tobin Took the summer off
                  40 McGreevy, TJ Had team best era of .74 for NBC National Champion Santa Barbara. 5-1 record. Struck out 19, walked 5.
                  33 Minnis, Albert Had a era of 2.23 for NBC Champs Santa Barbara. 2-0 record with 1 save. Struck out 38, walked 7. Named a top prospect.
                  8 Mucha, Mikel Hit .291 with 1 HR and 8 rbis for El Dorado, left team early with a minor injury.
                  11 Parker, Dayne Hit .324 with 2 HRs, 10 doubles and 14 rbis for Liberal in the Jayhawk League. Named a top prospect.
                  39 Vail, Kyle Left summer team early
                  14 Vielock, Foster

I went back to take a look at this chart after someone started a thread to predict next year's lineup. We had several guys who had pretty good summers. Hopefully it will pay off with post season play this season.

Comment

Working...
                  X