WSU vs. UNL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    I don't think that 2-runs will be near enough. Shocks need to keep it going and take advantage of the opportunities they get.
    I am glad they didn't stop scoring and they took advantage of their opportunities but as it turned out 2 runs was nearly enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosewood View Post
      For a game that has been over for an hour this game won't end.
      It is now 12:16 am and Warren Nolan still shows the game in the top of the sixth with WSU up 7-1. I guess this really is the game that won't end.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
        MVC goes 1-5 tonight. The big one is ISUB gives up a run in the 9th and run in the 10th to lose 2-1 to Purdue. WSU "needs" report before tonight was 4-0.
        Well, you pick your pundit. Boyd Nation thinks the Shocks need to sweep to stay in the top 45; Warren Nolan obviously disagrees, projecting them to finish 41st despite expecting them to lose another game. Personally, I think Nolan is more likely right, because (using his numbers) WSU came into tonight's game at .5610 and 43rd, and a road win over a 31-19 team will almost certainly move them into the top 40. Winning two of three games with the road bonus this weekend, even given Creighton's poor record, would be unlikely to drop WSU's RPI much, if at all.

I'd be thrilled with a sweep over Creighton (and pleasantly surprised; I'm actually just hoping for 2-1), but I don't think it's really necessary. Two of three should be okay, especially if combined with a respectable effort in the Valley tournament. (Rivals' SEBaseball obviously thinks enough of the current top three in the Valley to project them all in the field -- not even squeaking in among the last five -- even though one of them of necessity would not reach the championship round in the conference tournament.)

Too bad about IndSt tonight, though.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
          Well, you pick your pundit. Boyd Nation thinks the Shocks need to sweep to stay in the top 45; Warren Nolan obviously disagrees, projecting them to finish 41st despite expecting them to lose another game. Personally, I think Nolan is more likely right, because (using his numbers) WSU came into tonight's game at .5610 and 43rd, and a road win over a 31-19 team will almost certainly move them into the top 40. Winning two of three games with the road bonus this weekend, even given Creighton's poor record, would be unlikely to drop WSU's RPI much, if at all.
          I would go with Boyd numbers. Boyd has been matching the NCAA numbers since Al Gore invented the internet. Case in point - NCAA RPI and Boyd Nation had WSU at 45 today and Warren Nolan at 43.

West Coast (who trails the MVC) conference went 3-3 tonight.

The CU series could help WSU improve two areas on their resume that are negatives:

1. Road Record - Need it >0.500
          2. Record vs 101-200 Opponents - Not sure what threshold is needed to be not considered a negative, but 14-5 will look much better than 11-5 (today record).

I do worry about what CU will do to WSU RPI, but their little winning streak has taken some of the bite off (wish there was an equivalent Baseball RPI forecast site). It is amazing to think that CU was considered before the season as one of the better teams in the league.
          Last edited by SB Shock; May 16, 2012, 01:06 AM.

Comment

This was an interested stat from the game story in the Omaha newspaper (www.Omaha.com)

Against the Shockers Tuesday night, Nebraska pitchers gave up more runs (13) and home runs (three) than any other game this year.

http://www.omaha.com/article/2012051...blasts-huskers

Comment

That was a great game to watch last night. Glad the Shockers got a win keep it up.

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
                I am glad they didn't stop scoring and they took advantage of their opportunities but as it turned out 2 runs was nearly enough.
                True.

Very good work by Minnis and Mormann in shutting down a good hitting Nebraska team. It would be ververy helpful if those two guys can come on strong at this point.

Comment

True.

Very good work by Minnis and Mormann in shutting down a good hitting Nebraska team. It would be ververy helpful if those two guys can come on strong at this point.
                  They did do a great job considering that UNL is a good hitting team.

Comment

Originally posted by dwbarcl View Post
                    That was a great game to watch last night. Glad the Shockers got a win keep it up.
                    That was a good, fun game to watch. An incredible catch by Donnie Lambert early in the game that really helped keep the game going our way after the nice 2 run homer by Coy in the first inning set a good tone for the game. I just hope he is feeling okay today. He slammed into the wall very hard.

All of the UNL fans sitting around me were very nice and they pointed out that we had more Nebraskans playing in the game than UNL did.
                    They also all left well before the game ended.

Comment

Shocker's night when Tyler Baker goes yard.
                      It was actually out by a lot. The only question was, was it going to stay fair and it did.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                        I value SEBaseball more than anybody, but anti-Pumper Kendall "I hate WSU" Rogers doesn't have WSU in and lists them as "10 teams to watch". He doesn't even have them in his Top 50 rankings. I know he's a loser, but there are losers on the selection committee as well. I'd be careful about jumping the gun too early, Pumper.
                        Unfortunately that is very true. We are at the total mercy of the biases and perceptions of the selection committee.

Fortunately SEC Baseball does have a very good track record of matching the selection committee. Over the years it seems like He has done a better job than anyone else when it comes to predicting who will make the college baseball regionals.
                        Last edited by shocker3; May 21, 2012, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Lambert catch not on ESPN top plays, but some BS pitcher from Lipscomb grabbing a hit up the middle behind his back. Big Deal

Comment

Originally posted by shocker3 View Post
                            Unfortunately that is very true. We are at the total mercy of the biases and perceptions of the selection committee.

Fortunaely SEC Baseball does have a very good track record of matching the selection committee. Over the years it seems like He has done a better job than anyone else when it comes to predicting who will make the college baseball regionals.
                            Who is Kendall Rogers?

Comment

"You got to know when to hold em, know when to fold em..."

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
                                Who is Kendall Rogers?
                                He covers college baseball for Perfect Game. Last year he covered college baseball for Yahoo! Sports. He has always had a BCS bias and has never liked WSU. His current projections has WSU bubble out as one of the last 10 teams out (he does have both Indy St and MoSt in as 3 seeds from the Valley).

Kentucky recorded an important SEC series sweep over the weekend, and Jerad Grundy and the Wildcats are back in as a national seed in the latest PG NCAA postseason projections.

Comment

Working...
                                X