No announcement yet.

Shox vs. Bradley Game 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone describe the suicide squeeze that scored two runs?

How did the runner on 2nd score? What did Bradley do to allow that 2nd run?

Comment

Lambert on third Kevin Hall on second Aaron Rea gets the bunt to third both runners going as the third baseman starts to throw I see Kevin going 900 mile an hour and he is sliding in to home as the first baseman raises his arm to throw home. That's how I remember it.
      First a Baseball fan then a Volleyball fan and then I guess I follow the basketball team.

Comment

Originally posted by shock10 View Post
        Lambert on third Kevin Hall on second Aaron Rea gets the bunt to third both runners going as the third baseman starts to throw I see Kevin going 900 mile an hour and he is sliding in to home as the first baseman raises his arm to throw home. That's how I remember it.
        Yup. It was a play called by the coaches. Pitcher snoozed on the runners and it was a perfect set-up with Lambert and Hall (two very good baserunners) on 3rd and 2nd. The runners both broke with the pitch and Hall kept it in overdrive until he crossed home. The runners got such good jumps, I think Lambert might have stolen home if Rea didn't make contact. It was a thing of beauty.

--'85.
        Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85 View Post
          Yup. It was a play called by the coaches. Pitcher snoozed on the runners and it was a perfect set-up with Lambert and Hall (two very good baserunners) on 3rd and 2nd. The runners both broke with the pitch and Hall kept it in overdrive until he crossed home. The runners got such good jumps, I think Lambert might have stolen home if Rea didn't make contact. It was a thing of beauty.

--'85.
          Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Lambert was almost home when Rea hit the bunt and Hall was already to third at that point.

Comment

How/why didn't they hold Hall at 3rd? Did they concede the first run and try to get the out at 1st?

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
              How/why didn't they hold Hall at 3rd? Did they concede the first run and try to get the out at 1st?
              There was no conceding, Lambert was in before the ball was fielded. The ball was fielded and the out was recorded at 1B. They were caught completely off guard by Hall running. Return throw to home was high and late. I think Hall would have made it even with a perfect throw.

The Shox aggressiveness was completely outside the box on that play.

--'85.
              Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85 View Post

--'85.
                ... and a play they practice daily according to Shane Dennis.
                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I had a good time all weekend at the Eck. Also I got an autographed baseball and poster after today's game. What was your favorite play this weekend? Doggett's throw from center. Mucha's throw from left. Rea's suicide squeeze play that plated 2. I can't really say. I love to see a guy thrown out by an outfielder. But a squeeze play.
                  First a Baseball fan then a Volleyball fan and then I guess I follow the basketball team.

Comment

Harbutz has become the guy I want up in the clutch.

Comment

Absolutely miraculous. Couldn't help but feel that we were about to witness Bradley's first win at the Eck since 1996 and watch yet another streak break.

You guys described the squeeze perfectly. It was pretty awesome and totally electrified the place. Big ups for the call and the execution by all involved.

The boneheadedness is highly stressful to watch. There was some bad baseball today. The game really should have never went as far as it did. Infield popups being blown. Balls being thrown into 1st base concession stands. Just terrible. But.. they found a way. Could not believe it. The Eck hadn't been that loud in a while I don't think, at least for me. A lot of stress was released in the bottom of the 9th. Harbutz came through again.

I'd like to think this team will ride this sweep into next week and finish out strong. But as we know, this team hasn't really proven much consistency all year. If they can go 3-1 next week, I'll be extremely satisfied and mildly shocked. Despite all the pitfalls and crappyness endured over the last few years, I seemed to catch a small bit of the -fever- after the way that game ended. I know, I'm probably setting myself up, but man, it was fun. I hope I end up being wrong about the at-large chances with this team. I really do. I know we all know the general direction the program has headed and one game against Badly shouldn't change much, but I'll never ever root against a team wearing a WSU logo on their sleeves. The best thing is to wish em well, hope they succeed, and things just fall accordingly in the future.

Oh and it was nice to shut the Badly dugout up. They were awfully chirpy from the beginning, acting like they were the ones who won the first 2 games of the series. They acted like they were a Top 25 storied baseball team with the way they went. But then again, the loser teams mostly always resort to softball chants and gimmicks to get them through their season. They have nothing else to look forward to. ... I hope they enjoyed the mob celebration in right field after the game.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Harbutz has become Mr. Clutch at the end of the game.

Comment

Was at Fridays game and todays game. Today is the type of game that makes you want to have a heart attack. Some great baseball, and then some absolutely unexcusable baseball. I thought that squeeze that scored 2 runs is the kind of play that Gene would have drawn up 20 years ago. I guess ol' crusty does still have a few tricks up his sleeve.

Only going to 3 games all year (today, Friday, and last Tuesday against K-State) I can't say a lot about this team. I will say that we definitely need to shore up third base. I think Aaron had an error there today and Friday. Saw some clutch hitting, then some really bad hitting. Big HR by Johnny to get things going, and probably would have had another if we were still using the old aluminum bats.

Biggest thing I saw this weekend is the way we fought back. In my opinion, we were playing against 12 the entire weekend. The umpiring crew was HORRIBLE. Both games I saw, the plate umpire was inconsistent and just flat out bad. Getting to sit right behind home plate, I was quick to let both of them know just how bad they were. It's good that we battled against adversity to get some big wins.

I would like to think that we will go 4-0 next week, win a couple games in the MVC tournament, and clinch an at-large berth, but judging from our past history against Nebraska and Creighton, I'm expecting us to go 0-4. I'd be happy with a split.

Comment

Apparently I need to keep doing family things and then checking the score online after I get home. That's two days in a row I've returned home to a win that would have driven me crazy if I had tried to listen to it, much less watch it at the park. For those who did follow the game live, I'm reminded of the way a friend of mine once described an unlikely late rally for a WSU basketball victory at what was then Levitt Arena: we didn't know we were having fun until after it was over.

A sweep is a wonderful thing, of course, and very timely -- but what a struggle against a team that looked ripe to be brushed aside after the Shocks pounded their one notable starting pitcher. Guess SB's run rule win will have to wait until next week.

Seriously, it's nice to see WSU find ways to win instead of ways to lose, but it's a little disconcerting for them to have to do so, at home, against a team barely over .500. And another poor outing from Full Pack, blowing the game but being bailed out by timely offense, raises a new version of the Mormann question from earlier this year: how long can WSU leave Elam as the closer when his good outings like Saturday's are the exception rather than the rule?

I love the way the young guys are gaining experience, getting better while they do, and coming up big with the game on the line -- but I personally would love it just as much if they'd win without having the game on the line quite so often.

Comment

I was very dissapointed in Cale Elam today. After the lights out performance that I heard he had yesterday, to see him struggle today was very nerve racking. Granted, he was getting squeezed big time, but he didn't do his part by at least getting them close to the zone. Still, it's a wonder that Brent, Gene, or even both didn't get tossed from todays game. If I was on the coaching staff, I would have. There is just no excuse for a D1 umpiring crew to be as bad as these guys were, especially as inconsistent behind the plate as they were.

Comment

What a wild and great day at the yard. That 2 run squeeze bunt play was a thing of beauty. Butz for the second day in a row came through with a game winning hit.

I will be in Omaha for the 3 games against Creighton, I am not sure I can make it to Lincoln for the UNL game, but I am hoping to make it to that one too. GO SHOX!

Comment

Working...
                                X