No announcement yet.

Wedge Stepping Away for Health Reasons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I might do some work on this later in the week when I can dedicate some time. We lost one solid commit and one soft but as far as I know, that's all. It's 2022 and changing schools is going to happen all the time for a variety of reasons. All our recruiting has been the product of Mike Siriani and Mike Pelfrey. All of it. Guys are coming here because of those 2 studs. Nobody knows what the future will hold, but these guys will hold the recruiting together.

Also, keep in mind pretty much every school "over recruits" to some extent. I know fHCEW did not want to do that at all, but the fact of the matter is that you have to or you'll end up short handed, one way or the other.

We started fall ball over 11. One never showed up, one was hurt and transferred (so he could play in the spring) and 7 more according to D1 have entered the portal. Plowman, Howry, Moody, Young, Arguello, McAleer and Newman. So players will come and go. Just have to find the ones that want to be here.

Sure would like to see more of you at the yard this spring. Attendance means something to the guys. Last season was the first time in a long time that it felt like 85-10 at Eck. Those kids (Grain Gang?) brought some energy and fun back into the game and more people showed up (weather always helps) but baseball needs dollars too. Buy a season ticket. You can sit anywhere (for now). You can always buy more game day if you have friends (maybe not too many on this board).
    Last edited by WuDrWu; December 12, 2022, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      I might do some work on this later in the week when I can dedicate some time. We lost one solid commit and one soft but as far as I know, that's all. It's 2022 and changing schools is going to happen all the time for a variety of reasons. All our recruiting has been the product of Mike Siriani and Mike Pelfrey. All of it. Guys are coming here because of those 2 studs. Nobody knows what the future will hold, but these guys will hold the recruiting together.

Also, keep in mind pretty much every school "over recruits" to some extent. I know fHCEW did not want to do that at all, but the fact of the matter is that you have to or you'll end up short handed, one way or the other.

We started fall ball over 11. One never showed up, one was hurt and transferred (so he could play in the spring) and 7 more according to D1 have entered the portal. Plowman, Howry, Moody, Young, Arguello, McAleer and Newman. So players will come and go. Just have to find the ones that want to be here.

Sure would like to see more of you at the yard this spring. Attendance means something to the guys. Last season was the first time in a long time that it felt like 85-10 at Eck. Those kids (Grain Gang?) brought some energy and fun back into the game and more people showed up (weather always helps) but baseball needs dollars too. Buy a season ticket. You can sit anywhere (for now). You can always buy more game day if you have friends (maybe not too many on this board).
      I’ll be out there now that I’m back in Wichita.
      Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

Something seems to have happened last season though. Losing some key players going into the year didn’t help. We have the facilities. We just need an ambitious excellent college coach to lead us.

Comment

While I didn't expect Omaha overnight, something always felt a little off to me during his short tenure. Sort of a gut that the engine was misfiring that I couldn't put my finger on. Wish him the best with whatever he's dealing with but a quick change may be a blessing in disguise. Same could be said for basketball.

Comment

RH: Podcast With Loren Hibbs On Shocker Baseball

https://goshockers.com/news/2022/12/...-baseball.aspx

Long podcast, 48 minutes, but Loren, IMHO, did very well and I feel pretty good about him at the helm this season. Whether it goes beyond that remains to be seen. He certainly seems to be a much different personality than FHCEW which isn't necessarily bad. He certainly isn't short on baseball knowledge and especially how college baseball works.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 15, 2022, 05:36 PM.

Comment

The 2023 baseball roster is listed now at goshockers.com. I don’t know for sure how many players we can have on the roster, but 36 players are listed.

Comment

35 is the number, but we get an exemption for one of the players for reasons that I cannot explain. Way above my pay grade. 36 is the number for this season.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                  35 is the number, but we get an exemption for one of the players for reasons that I cannot explain. Way above my pay grade. 36 is the number for this season.
                  Yes, generally a roster limit of 35 but the official roster isn't set until the start of the season on February 17th this coming year. Usually at this time of the year the roster is quite a bit more than the 35 player limit.

Once a player is told that they are no longer on the 35-man roster, they are prohibited from practicing with the baseball team or being involved in any team meetings or other activities. Doesn't look that will be an issue this year unless some additions are made during the semester break.

IIRC, only 27 players can be on scholarship each scholarship must be at least a 25% scholarship. I just really dislike the scholarship rules for college baseball. No doubt driven by money issues and Title IX issues.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
                    While I didn't expect Omaha overnight, something always felt a little off to me during his short tenure. Sort of a gut that the engine was misfiring that I couldn't put my finger on. Wish him the best with whatever he's dealing with but a quick change may be a blessing in disguise. Same could be said for basketball.
                    I wish we could have seen 2020 play out. The team had a good start to that season. Whether it was a fluke or legit will never be answered, but I wish we could have seen that answer.
                    78-65

Comment

[QUOTE=Kel Varnsen;n1369635And the things that made the Gene and Marshall teams successful in past times are not necessarily aspects that make teams successful now at the college level due to the ever-changing landscape.[/QUOTE]

This idea is dropped out there completely unchallenged all of the time-human nature after millions of years and player motivation has changed. Ok,assuming this is correct, what are the new “aspects that make teams successful now at the college level” that you are referring to? If we can’t point to them, it’s a dice roll that wastes a lot of money.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

IIRC, only 27 players can be on scholarship each scholarship must be at least a 25% scholarship. I just really dislike the scholarship rules for college baseball. No doubt driven by money issues and Title IX issues.
                        This will be changing sooner than later. Probably next season but almost certainly '24-'25 will be substantially changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post

This idea is dropped out there completely unchallenged all of the time-human nature after millions of years and player motivation has changed. Ok,assuming this is correct, what are the new “aspects that make teams successful now at the college level” that you are referring to? If we can’t point to them, it’s a dice roll that wastes a lot of money.
                          I mean, are you genuinely asking? If you don’t understand that there are readily apparent reasons why teams rise and fall, I can’t help you. And if you can’t see that within the context of the WSU baseball and basketball programs, I really can’t help you.

The only real dice roll is doing the same thing and expecting different results. Legacy and nepotism-type hires will fail at a much higher rate. And they’ve done extensive damage to programs with once-proud traditions.
                          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

I don’t need any help and as I suspected, you didn’t answer the question. Where did you get the idea to talk about legacy and nepotism hires? Not from me. I suggested Jans a thousand times at the time of hiring who I suspect Coaches similar to our previous Coach. I know what makes teams rise and fall which is why I wouldn’t have let 3G get away and when he did I would have gotten Jans from his tree. It is “readily apparent “ he knows what he is doing Mr. Readily Apparent!

Comment

Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post
                              I don’t need any help and as I suspected, you didn’t answer the question. Where did you get the idea to talk about legacy and nepotism hires? Not from me. I suggested Jans a thousand times at the time of hiring who I suspect Coaches similar to our previous Coach. I know what makes teams rise and fall which is why I wouldn’t have let 3G get away and when he did I would have gotten Jans from his tree. It is “readily apparent “ he knows what he is doing Mr. Readily Apparent!
                              I mean…facilities, NIL, recruiting (finding diamonds in the rough). These are things (if they existed during the Gene era) that we did well, but we have not kept up with that.

Jans is clearly the exception, not the rule. It was known that he was an exceptional tactician and recruiter for a long time.

What is your argument? That we should keep it in the Shocker family? That we should take some 60-70 year old guy who was successful 30 years ago to run the program? That we should settle for someone connected with WSU who doesn’t have a history of leading a college baseball program? You demand answers for me but what are you advocating?
                              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

We are adding up quite a bill for former WSU coaches at this point.

Comment

Working...
                                X