Wedge Stepping Away for Health Reasons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

What makes you think we are paying an employee terminated for cause?
    That's the speculation. With such a vague statement none of us peons know the reason for termination or whether he was terminated for cause. We're just left to speculate on a message board.

Comment

Sucks all the way around. Was beginning to think we were making the turn with him.

I think Hibbs is a good back-end operations guy, but not a head coach.

I definitely would be aboard the Hooper train
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by Onegreatracer View Post

Hooper’s ship may have already sailed, sadly. He’s been passed on twice now.

Standiford, maybe. Not a huge splash to grab an NAIA guy.

I say give Hibbs a shot and go from there.
        What's Hooper even doing these days? Not knowing that answer, on the surface I'd be shocked if he turned down an offer to right the ship at his alma mater. It's not like Saal turned away from him so that wouldn't be an issue this time around.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

That's the speculation. With such a vague statement none of us peons know the reason for termination or whether he was terminated for cause. We're just left to speculate on a message board.
          And with some of the comments already showing up on a few message boards, the university needs to be more up front about this.

Comment

I hope we learned our lesson from a few past hires, both in baseball and basketball...nepotism isn't the best way to go, and you massively increase your chances of hiring well by expanding the pool.
            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

He didn't step down on his own accord. He embarrassed himself, WSU and the baseball program. WSU/Media are being very nice and considerate to Wedge and not publish the details of his "health issues".
              If this is true, then there is no way that WSU has to pay him anything.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                Sucks all the way around. Was beginning to think we were making the turn with him.

I think Hibbs is a good back-end operations guy, but not a head coach.

I definitely would be aboard the Hooper train
                If Boatright was still the AD, he would probably hire Pelfrey.

I'm definitely on the Hooper train - though what is he doing now?

Another proven college coach is Standiford that would not be a bad choice if they want to stay in the WSU family.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                  If WSU and the media are trying to be delicate with how this is handled, they're probably not going to blast it out that he's been let go for cause as that would only raise a lot more questions.

I'm guessing the only way you may find out is if there's some sort of FOIA request that shows if there are allocated funds for something like that.
                  If they are it will show up on the WSU-ICAA financial statements for fiscal year ending June 30, 2023 bit those won't be available until next September.

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                    I hope we learned our lesson from a few past hires, both in baseball and basketball...nepotism isn't the best way to go, and you massively increase your chances of hiring well by expanding the pool.
                    Well initially we did this in baseball hiring an Arkansas assistant and we saw what happened there. I agree that all candidates from every possible angle should be considered. I still think Hooper is the leader in the pack.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Well initially we did this in baseball hiring an Arkansas assistant and we saw what happened there. I agree that all candidates from every possible angle should be considered. I still think Hooper is the leader in the pack.
                      And that's totally fair. While Todd Butler was a bad hire, he was a bad hire because he couldn't run a program, not because we went outside the WSU alumni base to find him. And I think our athletic director and administration is in a much better spot to understand what can make a coach successful than ES or DB was, for sure.

Hooper could be a good pick. I don't know. Baseball coaching (and specifically college baseball) is something I'm not well-versed in compared to college basketball. But it seems that we have limited our picks in this sport and other sports to those connected to the program, and I think that's a recipe for failure in general. Not that you won't fail with someone outside the program, but if you allow the cream to rise to the top from that group after interviews and evaluations, it gives you a better chance. And the things that made the Gene and Marshall teams successful in past times are not necessarily aspects that make teams successful now at the college level due to the ever-changing landscape.
                      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

If Boatright was still the AD, he would probably hire Pelfrey.

I'm definitely on the Hooper train - though what is he doing now?

Another proven college coach is Standiford that would not be a bad choice if they want to stay in the WSU family.
                        Hooper is the Braves minor league director of player development. The only reason I say the ship might’ve sailed for him is after being passed over twice and not getting the job, he might now have his head set on an MLB future. His current job is most definitely a better position if he does have major league aspirations.
                        Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

Hooper is the Braves minor league director of player development. The only reason I say the ship might’ve sailed for him is after being passed over twice and not getting the job, he might now have his head set on an MLB future. His current job is most definitely a better position if he does have major league aspirations.
                          Interesting note. Zach Sorenson is also on the Braves staff as mental skills coordinator.

Comment

Hoopers experience as a coach with MLB teams has primarily been in player development and instruction. IIRC he was a roving instructional coach for the Padres when he didn't get the WSU job. Personally, this skill set and experience would seem to be a much better fit at the collegiate level than Wedge's skill set as a major league manager. A lot more teaching and patience required with college kids. But again whether or not there is any mutual interest there I can't say. I favored Hooper the last time around, even over Wedge. I for one hope that ship hasn't sailed but possible that it has.

Comment

Hooper’s ship may have already sailed, sadly. He’s been passed on twice now.
                              Both times by disgraced fADDB, or once by fADDB and once by fADES? I can't remember.
                              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                                Hoopers experience as a coach with MLB teams has primarily been in player development and instruction. IIRC he was a roving instructional coach for the Padres when he didn't get the WSU job. Personally, this skill set and experience would seem to be a much better fit at the collegiate level than Wedge's skill set as a major league manager. A lot more teaching and patience required with college kids. But again whether or not there is any mutual interest there I can't say. I favored Hooper the last time around, even over Wedge. I for one hope that ship hasn't sailed but possible that it has.
                                Not to mention he was responsible for filling out a roster with the Wingnuts. That's closely aligned with recruiting and knowing the right people.

Comment

Working...
                                X