X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks Izzi signed with Seattle per twitter

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      The word on the street is that the Mariners want Izzi bad and will pay 7 figs to make sure it happens. Izzi wants to be here, but that kind of money, if that's accurate, is all but impossible to turn down.

As for the comment on NIL for baseball, that is changing and is a work in progress. AS is on it. Whether or not it will make a difference or be in time for Rodden, I guess only time will tell, but the people that need to be working on it, are working on it.
      Well 475K is a really nice life addition, but 1Million is definitely life changing (although 401 K's at the present time aren't doing well, I expect that will change).

Comment

As for the comment on NIL for baseball, that is changing and is a work in progress. AS is on it. Whether or not it will make a difference or be in time for Rodden, I guess only time will tell, but the people that need to be working on it, are working on it.
        From a negotiating standpoint I think Brock would be wise to give the AS and the Shockers at least a chance to come up with something NIL-wise before making a final decision.

Comment

It appears that Ashton Izzi has signed with the Mariners for $1.1 million. Looks like WuDrWu was over the target on this one (as usual).

https://www.mlb.com/draft/tracker (Type Izzi in the name box)

Certainly, can't hold that against him. A nice start in life for anyone. All you can do is congratulate the young man, thank him for his commitment to the Shocks and wish him well.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 23, 2022, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Not a chance anyone should turn that down.

Comment

Getting young men to commit here that are worth a mil + coming out of high school isn't necessarily a bad thing. Siri and Pelf can identify talent and as a group, convince them this is an option.

Good days are ahead. And congrats to Ashton! That's one hell of a day young man.

Comment

I listed to ADAS on sports daily the other day - he is indeed on it, plus they are looking at other opportunities beyond NIL that could be just as impactful.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

I listed to ADAS on sports daily the other day - he is indeed on it, plus they are looking at other opportunities beyond NIL that could be just as impactful.
                  Listened to a replay of that segement which was on July 20th.

Jacob Albracht has been a host for Sports Daily for a number of years. Tommy Castor is the newest host of Sports Daily on KFH.

Talk about hitting the ground running. ADKS is getting after it.

The Alston Educational Awards was something new and interesting.

The more I hear from and about ADKS the more I think this was a great hire.

More immediately I think at a minimum we will give Brock Rodden something to think about.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 24, 2022, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Listened to a replay of that segement which was on July 20th.

Jacob Albracht has been a host for Sports Daily for a number of years. Tommy Castor is the newest host of Sports Daily on KFH.

Talk about hitting the ground running. ADKS is getting after it.

The Alston Educational Awards was something new and interesting.

The more I hear from and about ADKS the more I think this was a great hire.

More immediately I think at a minimum we will give Brock Rodden something to think about.
                    Thanks for finding it for other to listen.

The Alston Education Award is very intriguing. If understood it correctly, the award was $6,000 per year, they can give half when the player commits each year (like lump sum bonus) and when they graduate they get the other half. So it would be something like this

Frosh - $3,000 lump sum, $3,000 deferred to graduation
                    Soph - $3,000 lump sum, $3,000 deferred to graduation
                    Jr - $3,000 lump sum, $3,000 deferred to graduation
                    Sr - $3,000 lump sum, $3,000 deferred to graduation

Graduation - $12,000

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

Thanks for finding it for other to listen.

The Alston Education Award is very intriguing. If understood it correctly, the award was $6,000 per year, they can give half when the player commits each year (like lump sum bonus) and when they graduate they get the other half. So it would be something like this

Frosh - $3,000 lump sum, $3,000 deferred to graduation
                      Soph - $3,000 lump sum, $3,000 deferred to graduation
                      Jr - $3,000 lump sum, $3,000 deferred to graduation
                      Sr - $3,000 lump sum, $3,000 deferred to graduation

Graduation - $12,000
                      What I recall ADKS saying was that based on the current discussion regarding unlimited transfers with a more limited transfer window of 4 to 6 weeks they could wait until the transfer period was expired (probably sometime in Mid-May following the season. So if you don't transfer you get the $3,000 payments with $3,000 deferred to graduation. He did mention graduating is earning a degree.

In any case, ADKS did say that WSU doesn't have this but he is working on it as additional tool to help retain athletes.

Other highlights:

Over his first 11 days on the job ADKS has had 10 different dinner meetings and 9 different lunch meetings and 100+ meetings with AD staff, head coaches (1 hour each) and assistant coaches. HIs initial observation is WSU's greatest strength is its people.

One of the first steps in dealing with NIL is to educate about NIL in the simplest fashion possible. The boosters need to understand that what use to be a no-no, is now okay within certain parameters.

On NIL the institution cannot solicit the funds nor direct the use of the funds. They will be educating booster on the two pathways (Armchair Strategies & Open Doors) they will have available and WSU will support those efforts to the greatest degree possible within the established parameters keeping in mind the integrity of the institution and the eligibility of the student athletes. Have had two meetings with Armchair Strategies.

There are 5 traditional elements to a scholarship. Room-Board-Tuition-Books-Fees plus in recent years the NCAA has added Cost of Attendance Stipends (which WSU fully provides) and the more recent Alston Educational Awards (see above). Those 7 are controlled and directed by the institution. The NIL is an 8th element but differs in that the institution does not control and direct those activities. The Alston Educational Awards will be an additional giving pathway that he thinks will gain a lot of traction.

Has done an initial in-depth facilities tour. He would position Eck Stadium in the top third among SEC baseball facilities. Values very much the relationship he is developing with Brent Kemnitz. Said if you are not stressed going into the MLB Draft you are probably on the wrong players.

He is very impressed with the WSU Innovation Campus. Said it is phenomenal.

Will prepare a long-range facilities plan that they can fund raise into.

With all due respect, ADKS is so far above his predecessor it is really night and day in comparison. I think I learned more in this one interview and felt more energy exuded than during the entirety of ADDB's tenure. That said I am not expecting miracles but I think we will see significant and steady improvements moving forward but it will take time. He hasn't exactly been handed a program that is financially flush with money.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 24, 2022, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Yep, it really just shows how bad Boatright was. Just sat there on his fat ass, sucking back his bourbon, collecting his paycheck.

Makes his slimy raise even more infuriating.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Does Saal sleep?
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                            Does Saal sleep?
                            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Listen if you can. I had the podcast on while traveling this morning. Very much worth the 30 minutes or so. The Alston Education Award IS intriguing. If you don't like the NIL on the surface but want to support the student athlete in a way that is more likely to keep the student athlete at WSU, this seems like an excellent pathway to that goal. Especially since apparently many schools are not utilizing this form of incentive. (One of 8 or 9 if I remember correctly).

Comment

Per Taylor, Brock is staying. Very good news!

Comment

Working...
                                X