No announcement yet.

2022 MLB Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The slot for Brock Rodden is $151,200 for his 10th Round slot with the A’s. Depending on what the A’s have paid other players in the first 9 Rounds, they could pay him more or less than that slot, if I understand the process.

Since he is a Junior next year, he has a little leverage, from a money standpoint, but that depends on their (A’s) view of Brock, and how much leeway they have above slot. If they shoot him a significantly below slot offer, it might piss him off.

I don’t know Brock, so I have no idea how positive his experience at WSU has been, but by how many games we lost this year, I’d guess, not fantastic, baseball wise. Academically, I have no idea, nor do I know how close to graduating. Totally, not knowing the answers to the questions above, my uneducated guess is that he will sign.

Comment

The draft slot for Izzi suggests he should receive a signing bonus worth nearly $475,000, but the Mariners are reportedly prepared to offer more to ensure their fourth-round draft pick turns pro.
      Rodden stands to make around $151,000 for his draft slot, a six-figure bonus that is significant but there is internal optimism in the program that believes Rodden could return to WSU and significantly improve his draft position.

Comment

I don't follow the baseball team closely, but if Rodden is the type of player to take another step forward, he still has the time and negotiating power to get more, or come back and improve his stock during next years draft. 150k is nice, but it's not crazy nice.

For those that follow, is he the type of player that you see as taking that needed step to really help his stock?
        Last edited by SubGod22; July 19, 2022, 03:18 PM. Reason: Forgot to ask my question
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
          I don't follow the baseball team closely, but if Rodden is the type of player to take another step forward, he still has the time and negotiating power to get more, or come back and improve his stock during next years draft. 150k is nice, but it's not crazy nice.

For those that follow, is he the type of player that you see as taking that needed step to really help his stock?
          That's a good question that is pretty hard to give answer to. As a switch hitter last year it seemed to me that he had more success hitting lefty than right but I don't know what is actual numbers are from each side of the plate. I thought he was improving from the right side later in the season. If he could come back and put up similar numbers from both sides of the plate that might help him. He seems to be a bit of a throw back so I don't think attitude and effort will be an issue. He played 2nd base last year but I think the plan was to move him to short this year giving him a chance to show his versatility. Last year was his first year through the AAC and he did very well. Whether or not he could improve his draft position significantly is hard to say.

Looks like Brock left his summer team in the Cape Cod League after 5 games a month ago. Could be a lot of reasons for that so not sure it adds much to story.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 19, 2022, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Looks like Brock left his summer team in the Cape Cod League after 5 games a month ago. Could be a lot of reasons for that so not sure it adds much to story.
            Correct, but there's nothing to see here. The Cape is an odd place and he was there as long as he was wanted. Nothing to do with draft etc or anything else.

If you can, listen to Shane's podcast today when he interviews Rodden. Listen to get information, not to feel good. Because after you listen, you won't.

Comment

Looks like their done. As best I can tell only Izzi among the recruits and Rodden from last year's roster where drafted.

I guess we will have to wait and see if there are any undrafted free agent signings such as Cameron Bye and Chuck Ingram in addition to waiting for Izzi and Rodden to make a decision.

The $20,000 signing cap that was in place in 2020 and 2021 has been removed. Effective this year, there will be no maximum on the signing bonus an undrafted player can receive, although any amount over $125,000 will count against a team’s bonus pool.

Comment

I believe HCEW addressed the signing bonus issue a couple of years ago. At that time MLB had no agreement to furnish housing etc for its minor league players. Now they do and it pays them from 500 to 700 bucks a week for roughly 5 months of the year. They must furnish living accommodations to not exceed two players sharing a bedroom and a bed for each plus basic utilities. A better deal than it was a year ago. As HCEW explained the Fed and State entities would get about 40% of the bonus and some of these kids give some money to parents to better their lives. Some buy a car and some clothes and then they have to figure a way to support themselves for the other seven months during the off season. As HCEW pointed out even a million dollar signing bonus doesn't go as far as most people and or players think. Plus I believe the agents share comes from pre tax dollars so his agent gets the first chunk. I may be totally off base but this was what I gathered from an article and statements made a year or so ago. I'm sure there are many people on here that follow these things more than my casual look and I would enjoy reading about different and opposing view points. Go Shocks

Comment

Comment

Not many signing yet but here is a site where signings can be tracked.

2023 MLB Draft Tracker - Round by round results with associated rookie contract and salaries for each player

They show a high school pitcher out of Florida was drafted 3 spots ahead of Brock Rodden and with a slot value of $152,000 was signed by Clevaland for $1.2 million. They really wanted that kid.

Comment

TJ Brock, a right-handed pitcher out of Ohio State, was a 6th rounder by Toronta and had a slot value of $268,500. He signed for $72,500. He was at 4yr senior.

Jason Franks, a right-handed pitcher out of Cal Poly, was picked in the 8th round by Atlanta with a slot value of $176,400. Signed for $2,500. Interesting bio. Played his first 2 years at Cal Poly on their club team. Only pitched 1 inning in 2020 before Covid shut down the season. In 2021 her pitched in 4 games all in relief with a 9.82 ERA. This past season he pitched in 54 innings over 31 appearances logging a 3.17 ERA with a somewhat high WHIP of 2.16. He did strike out 69 batters vs 22 walks. Apparently, out of eligibility.

Quite a few guys have signed for peanuts relative to their slot values.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 22, 2022, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                        TJ Brock, a right-handed pitcher out of Ohio State, was a 6th rounder by Toronta and had a slot value of $268,500. He signed for $72,500. He was at 4yr senior.

Jason Franks, a right-handed pitcher out of Cal Poly, was picked in the 8th round by Atlanta with a slot value of $176,400. Signed for $2,500. Interesting bio. Played his first 2 years at Cal Poly on their club team. Only pitched 1 inning in 2020 before Covid shut down the season. In 2021 her pitched in 4 games all in relief with a 9.82 ERA. This past season he pitched in 54 innings over 31 appearances logging a 3.17 ERA with a somewhat high WHIP of 2.16. He did strike out 69 batters vs 22 walks. Apparently, out of eligibility.

Quite a few guys have signed for peanuts relative to their slot values.
                        Sounds like these guys had no leverage, hence the low signing bonus amounts.

78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                          If you can, listen to Shane's podcast today when he interviews Rodden. Listen to get information, not to feel good. Because after you listen, you won't.
                          I didn't get to listen to it. Can you summarize?

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

I didn't get to listen to it. Can you summarize?
                            Here is a link to Shane's podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000570501173

The discussion regarding Brock starts at about the 21 minute mark. The Matt Harrington story before that is pretty interesting as well.

One factor discussed is that there are currently no NIL opportunities for baseball players at Wichita State. May or not have made a difference but would make the discussion tougher. Sounds like he is leaning towards signing. I guess it's possible WSU still has a chance to put an NIL deal on the table.

Shane also said that reports he has heard indicate that Ashton Izzi will ge signing.

Comment

The word on the street is that the Mariners want Izzi bad and will pay 7 figs to make sure it happens. Izzi wants to be here, but that kind of money, if that's accurate, is all but impossible to turn down.

As for the comment on NIL for baseball, that is changing and is a work in progress. AS is on it. Whether or not it will make a difference or be in time for Rodden, I guess only time will tell, but the people that need to be working on it, are working on it.

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
                                X