No announcement yet.

WSU vs S. Alabama [Game 1]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't we just "find" some recruiting violation or something to speed this process up?!

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      That's roughly 1% interest per year. Not sure why you think that is a bad deal.

Although perhaps the most practical approach is just to wait him out for another 2+ years and hope the hole doesn't get too much deeper. I just don't see us outright firing Gene. If somehow ADES could convince him to retire that would be great.

I was primarily responding to Doc's call that we need to get creative.
      Not really being that critical of your proposal @1972Shocker: and what I was shooting for was something in between your proposal and my other "extreme" one. No, I don't see us firing Gene, either, that's why I added the "OR" option.

First, I don't know exactly how the money owed Gene would be paid out if he were fired. I'm guessing it's paid out at the same rate as if he were working or over about 2 1/2 year period. My point is, if that's true, whether he's working or not, those same funds are paid out over the same period. What I also don't know is what the cost of a new hire would be, but it will probably be quite a bit less than Gene's getting and, whatever it is, that is the extra cost over that 2 1/2 year period that WSU would be out if Gene is fired.

If Gene stays and nothing is done, WSU has to ask itself, "just how much bigger of a hole will we have to get out of". Without an extention, Gene knows the writing is on the wall and if some think he's not trying his best now, what would he be like over that period? What would the recruiting be like with players knowing that he's a lame-duck coach? What kind of relationship will Gene and WSU have during this period and after? How costly in time and money will it be to turn this all around 2 1/2 years from now? Pretty certain that this is where we are headed currently.

Personally, I feel both he and WSU can meet somewhere in between. It will benefit Gene and his legacy, it will benefit WSU and the program. I'd hate to see my "extreme" version happen and that there would be bad blood between Gene and WSU forward. Nevertheless, I'm not sure what's worse, for Gene, WSU, their relationship, and the baseball program. Doing nothing or the firing. I am sure that some sort of common ground is better than either.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
        ummm, no. He is just as much part of the problem.

Pitchers believe in him? - the pitching staff isn't that great, they are just a lot less putrid than hitting/fielding side of this team. If he was a real leader he would already have stepped up on the coaching staff and been working around and motivating the whole team.

2nd, Brent (by his own admission) was the main architect for the move to OK. Let him move to OK, I'm sure Alva, OK baseball program would love to him him.
        I agree, get rid of the whole bunch, Kemnitz included and bring in a new staff.
        An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

How about this proposal for Gene:

2. WSU will honor all previous naming commitments/contracts with the Eck Family, Ron Tyler, Bombardier and any others. However, the WSU baseball facilities in total will be designated as the Gene Stephenson Shocker Baseball Complex. Appropriate signage/monument will be created and prominently displayed.
          Bullshit, I say remove the name of the child molester, Rusty Eck, now, take it off of the stadium it is an embarrassment to the University to be associated with that scum.
          An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

Originally posted by JJClamdip View Post
            Bullshit, I say remove the name of the child molester, Rusty Eck, now, take it off of the stadium it is an embarrassment to the University to be associated with that scum.
            I have no problem with that as long as we are not bound by some kind of contractual obligation on that. Would need to know the cost of dropping the Eck name to make that call for sure.

Also may need to consider how substantial is the current generation of the Eck family in their support of WSU and what quality of people are they. Les Eck appears to be a decent guy on the surface.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 28, 2012, 04:37 PM.

Comment

I have no problem with that as long as we are not bound by some kind of contractual obligation on that. Would need to know the cost of dropping the Eck name to make that call for sure.

Also may need to consider how substantial is the current generation of the Eck family in their support of WSU and what quality of people are they. Les Eck appears to be a decent guy on the surface.
              Someone confronted the university about this a few years ago. Their alibi IIRC was it was named for the Eck family, not Rusty.

Comment

So did Rusty till the truth came out.

They ran the whorehouse right out of the dealership and Les Eck worked for daddy and you are telling me that he knew nothing of stuff going on out there?

I don't buy that for one minute.

They have made millions duping poor payment buying bastards that believe that they are saving money by dealing with the dancing chicken and the slime that they employ.

Comment

So did Rusty till the truth came out.

They ran the whorehouse right out of the dealership and Les Eck worked for daddy and you are telling me that he knew nothing of stuff going on out there?

I don't buy that for one minute.

They have made millions duping poor payment buying bastards that believe that they are saving money by dealing with the dancing chicken and the slime that they employ.
                  Now Mr. Hambleton, don't be bitter.

Seriously, name the complex after Gene, make him an advisor to the baseball program for two years, and hire Kevin Hooper. Now see how easy that was?

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                    Now Mr. Hambleton, don't be bitter.
                    You are a funny man!

Have you been to any games yet, I have not seen you.

Comment

You are a funny man!

Have you been to any games yet, I have not seen you.
                      Its not cold enough for him to wear his mesh t-shirts.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                        1 comment, when you normally have 20, and it was, of course, defending a coach's decision.
                        I doubt if I have ever had 20 posts on a baseball game thread except maybe the few times I have posted from the game on my phone. I am not sure my phone has enough battery power for that many posts, but maybe.

And I wasn't defending the coach's decision. I was giving my best guess for why he made the change. If I were the coach I would NOT have made that change. I would have kept Casey in.

Comment

The termination discussion needs to start with "Gene, you have written your own legacy at WSU ..." and give him the opportunity to negotiate his departure plan. The meeting needs to end with a termination date. No matter what. There are many combinations of what can happen to separate the program from Gene and the timeframe that a coaching change might occur, some of which include Gene saving face, some not so much.

I would favor an immediate coaching search and hire after this season for a replacement head coach. IIRC, when Skip Bertman left the head job at LSU, they hired his successor as "associate head coach" who took over the reins and Skip stayed around for a season or two. While not as preferable as an immediate resignation, Gene gets the sense of passing the program on the the next guy. This would mean another paid assistant would lose his job, and that has to be JT. I don't know if the NCAA stipulates how much assistants can make, but the coaching search needs to be done with the intent of spending whatever it takes to get a great coach in here. Probably not all candidates will agree with the associate head coach thing, but it is one approach, and everyone in college coaching knows about Gene and his legacy at WSU which will affect their willingness to take the job.

The declining attendance has been discussed, and clearly the declining revenue will hurt the program. If a revitalized coacing staff is brought in before the program is a complete wreck, season ticket and attendance numbers might be salvaged. I think there is a perception in some circles that many of the long time boosters are loyal to Gene. In reality, I believe there is a large segment of people who are now loyalty to the program as well and if Gene isn't embarrased or disgraced by an out-right firing, both loyalties will be served and the program can come out on the backside in much better shape.

I agree with the ideas presented by others above, something must be done, and it has to happen soon.

--'85.
                          Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

The program is sinking and everyone knows it. What will it take for ADES to pull the plug?

Comment

Does anybody really think gene will retire? He wants the most wins record is my guess and will find a place to coach until he gets it. Wsu and Gene would have been so much better off if he would have stayed in Norman.

Comment

Working...
                              X