WSU vs S. Alabama [Game 1]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    Yep, that's been pointed out. The question is what options do we have, if any, to accelerate the process and can we afford them.

The other problem with that is Gene becomes a lame-duck after this season from a recruiting standpoint. Will that cause the program to decline even more before the contract expires on 06/30/14?
    The only way to solve that is to bring in a head coach in waiting next year and get rid of you know who.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
      His contract ends in a little over two years.

His contract ends in a little over two years.

It isn't going to be renewed.
      It's sorta sounding like the baseball version of Lowery/SIU, yes, no?

Comment

Originally posted by kstarheel View Post
        Why was green hitting? 0 for his last 15 now.

Because Casey struck out looking with the bases loaded would be my guess.

Comment

Tonight's game was most of the last 5 years all wrapped up in a nice smelly turd.

I'm sad it has to end like this, but it has to end. And the sooner the better. There is still the opportunity to save the program.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
            Tonight's game was most of the last 5 years all wrapped up in a nice smelly turd.

I'm sad it has to end like this, but it has to end. And the sooner the better. There is still the opportunity to save the program.
            No doubt one that has been sitting out in the hot Texas sun.

So what do you think the solution is at this point Doc? Can we realistically accelerate the inevitable or are we just going to have to count the days until the end of the 2014 season?

Comment

There probably isn't anything that can be done at this point to make this go away. I don't know though...did you see the crowd tonight? Friends and family and the USA folks made more noise. You can say we can't afford to fire Gene, but can we afford to keep him?

We have to get creative. Jim and Gene aren't getting it done, period. Brent is....the pitchers believe in Brent, and nobody can stand being around Gene. He motivates nobody.

I realize Brent is going to back Gene to the end....but what if turned the keys over to Brent, on an interim basis? Brent, you've got a year and a half to turn it around. It's your baby, do with it what you wish.
              He can't get another head coaching job. This would be his only chance and I think he'd make it work but....I don't know....it just has to end...and end now.

Comment

No surprise here; as I said after the Shocks got pounded by Long Beach Saturday, this team loses three games at a time -- even when they have to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory as they did Sunday to get it done.

The good news is that they haven't lost four in a row all year (and they've already had three chances).

Comment

How about this proposal for Gene:

1. Gene agrees to retire at the end of this season. WSU will buyout the remaining 2 years of his contract in full plus a 10% premium if Gene agrees that this can be paid out over a 10 year period.

2. WSU will honor all previous naming commitments/contracts with the Eck Family, Ron Tyler, Bombardier and any others. However, the WSU baseball facilities in total will be designated as the Gene Stephenson Shocker Baseball Complex. Appropriate signage/monument will be created and prominently displayed.

3. An office will be provided for Gene as long as he desires in the GSSBC and Gene will also be provided with the use of a designated luxury suite in the stadium.

In any case, it should be made clear to Gene that his contract will not be renewed upon expiration following the 2014 season.

As far as a successor Brent should certainly receive strong consideration if he is interested, but he has to agree to replace Jim Thomas. If we do go with Brent I think he deserves more than a year and a half to turn things around though. Not sure I wouldn't prefer to wipe the slate clean and start totally fresh.

Comment

How come shox1989 and shocker3 are never around game threads when they end this way?
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                      How about this proposal for Gene:

1. Gene agrees to retire at the end of this season. WSU will buyout the remaining 2 years of his contract in full plus a 10% premium if Gene agrees that this can be paid out over a 10 year period.

2. WSU will honor all previous naming commitments/contracts with the Eck Family, Ron Tyler, Bombardier and any others. However, the WSU baseball facilities in total will be designated as the Gene Stephenson Shocker Baseball Complex. Appropriate signage/monument will be created and prominently displayed.

3. An office will be provided for Gene as long as he desires in the GSSBC and Gene will also be provided with the use of a designated luxury suite in the stadium.

In any case, it should be made clear to Gene that his contract will not be renewed upon expiration following the 2014 season.

As far as a successor Brent should certainly receive strong consideration if he is interested, but he has to agree to replace Jim Thomas. If we do go with Brent I think he deserves more than a year and a half to turn things around though. Not sure I wouldn't prefer to wipe the slate clean and start totally fresh.
                      Ummm...no, if I understand everything here. You would pay Gene an extra $80-90,000 just to get a 10 year payout?

Not proposing this, but let's go to the other extreme.

1) Gene, you're fired. Pay the man what's due either up front or over two years, depending on how the contract is written.

2) We'll honor only what we have to/want to on naming commitments. Forget about the GS complex naming, signage, monument whatever (and expense).

3) Forget the expense of the office (really want him looming over the new coach?) and luxury suite.

No need to make anything else clear for the future.

No problem with Brent, but JT is gone.

OR....something in between to preserve Gene's legacy and the program he built. I'm sure there is quality, positive ground to build from for both Gene and WSU. Question will be whether WSU will want to pick his successor or could agree with Gene to pick. I have little problem with Gene being around for 2 more years, but a replacement for JT (new blood) is a must. No problem with #2 or#3, except for the office.

Look, WSU is going to be out Gene's salary for the next 2 years no matter. The difference is how much WSU would need to pay for a new coach if Gene is replaced, worse case scenerio.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                        How come shox1989 and shocker3 are never around game threads when they end this way?
                        I already posted on this thread over 3 hours ago.

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
                          I already posted on this thread over 3 hours ago.
                          1 comment, when you normally have 20, and it was, of course, defending a coach's decision.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                            I realize Brent is going to back Gene to the end....but what if turned the keys over to Brent, on an interim basis? Brent, you've got a year and a half to turn it around. It's your baby, do with it what you wish.
                            ummm, no. He is just as much part of the problem.

Pitchers believe in him? - the pitching staff isn't that great, they are just a lot less putrid than hitting/fielding side of this team. If he was a real leader he would already have stepped up on the coaching staff and been working around and motivating the whole team.

2nd, Brent (by his own admission) was the main architect for the move to OK. Let him move to OK, I'm sure Alva, OK baseball program would love to him him.

Comment

Krusty = BIG ego...
                              “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Ummm...no, if I understand everything here. You would pay Gene an extra $80-90,000 just to get a 10 year payout?
                                That's roughly 1% interest per year. Not sure why you think that is a bad deal.

Although perhaps the most practical approach is just to wait him out for another 2+ years and hope the hole doesn't get too much deeper. I just don't see us outright firing Gene. If somehow ADES could convince him to retire that would be great.

I was primarily responding to Doc's call that we need to get creative.

Comment

Working...
                                X