WSU @ UCF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YES!!! Great win Shox!!
    Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• There is a sizeable fall off between 5th and 6th place in our conference. That third seed looks like a big juicy steak right now.
      Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Then he goes back to the fast ball and gives up a basehit after falling behind in the count 2-0 with his breaking ball. A deep fly to right center run down by Couper Cornblum ends the games.

Shocks 7 - Knights 6.

Not partiularly pretty but counts the same as any other win and coming back from a deficit late is always a good thing.

More importantly the Shocks win the series 3-1.

Back home for USF next weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
          3rd seed in the tourney is a huge advantage over 4th, the way I see it. We need Haase to get this W!!
          You're not wrong.

Comment

• Other AAC series results this weekend:

USF 3 - Memphis 1
            ECU 3 - Tulane 1; ECU wins the series finale 9-1
            Cincinnati 2 - Houston 1; Cincy wins the series finali 10-3

Looks like the Shocks will edge into 3rd place once the dust clears. A half game up on UCF and Cincy.

The Shocks have series left against 6th place USF (20-22, 10-10) at 8th place Memphis (14-32, 4-20).

UCF closes at 2nd place Tulane and at home against 7th place Houston.

Cincinnati, like the Shockers has its final 2 series at home but they are against 1st place ECU and 2nd place Tulane.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 9, 2021, 03:18 PM.

Comment

• Good series win. I hoped we would score some runs this series since we were playing a depleted pitching staff and we did. Have we won a series opener in conference all year? Checked - only once, a 10-2 win in the home series with Houston. I still wish we would move Jace to Game 1 and see how it goes. Snavely just doesn't give us much of a chance.

6-2 the next two weeks should be the expectation. 7-1 would be ideal. Still think we screwed the pooch with our at large chances with the abysmal showings against Tulane and Cincinnati. Too bad.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Standings after this weekend's games with remaining series:

ECU 15-5 (@Cincy, @USF)
                TU 14-5 (UCF, @Cincy)
                WSU 13-10 (USF, UM)
                UCF 13-11 (@TU, UH)
                UC 13-11 (ECU, TU)
                USF 10-10 (@WSU, ECU)
                UH 5-15 (@UM, @UCF)
                UM 4-20 (UH, @WSU)

Huge weekend for the Shocks. USF is capable of winning games. Shocks control their own destiny for 3rd, and while unlikely, a 3-5 finish for Tulane does open the door for 2nd.

That being said, 2-2 or worse against USF and 6th is still in play. Best case scenario for us would be, imho, ECU and us sweep this weekend and Tulane win 3 of 4 vs UCF.

ECU 19-5
                TU 17-6
                WSU 17-10
                UCF 14-14
                UC 13-15
                USF 10-14
                UH 7-15
                UM 6-22

We'd be in a position to only have to win 1 game against Memphis to clinch 3rd. You'd need 2 very unlikely scenarios to have Tulane win the conference over ECU, and equally unlikely to have USF climb out of 6th, leaving UCF, UC and ECU on the other side of the bracket. And I don't care who we play, I LOVE our chances if we can get to the 1 game final, especially if we could get there in 3 instead of 4 or 5 games.

LONG way to go to get there, but winning 3 this weekend was a big first step.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                  Good series win. I hoped we would score some runs this series since we were playing a depleted pitching staff and we did. Have we won a series opener in conference all year? Checked - only once, a 10-2 win in the home series with Houston. I still wish we would move Jace to Game 1 and see how it goes. Snavely just doesn't give us much of a chance.

6-2 the next two weeks should be the expectation. 7-1 would be ideal. Still think we screwed the pooch with our at large chances with the abysmal showings against Tulane and Cincinnati. Too bad.
                  Yep.

We've won some close ones for sure, but the first game against OSU (should have won), middle game vs SIUE (joke), all 3 Tulane games, Sunday at Cincy and frankly game 1 this weekend....shoot, just 2 of those 7 and we're probably right side or on the bubble at 28-15 and a clear 3rd in the #5 conference.

But, we aren't. So let's see a big crowd out this weekend. Early weather looks good with very slight rain chances and highs around 80 all weekend.

I do think this team is getting better as a team. The bottom of the lineup is competing now. We have no depth, but the guys playing seem to be locked in. Haase makes the other team think it's an 8 inning game, at most, maybe a 7 inning game.

Go Shocks!

Comment

• You can almost smell something cooking in the dugout. Under Butler we got hot several times and it started to feel like maybe we could turn the corner. Everytime that happened though we promptly cratered and then packed it in for the season. Same thing happened this year, we got hot, started to feel it and then promptly cratered. However this time we didn't pack it in and the team fought back and saved the season. Coaching and coaching mentality matter and we have a good one. Let's finish off the year 6-2 and go into the tourny on a roll.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockerman View Post
                      You can almost smell something cooking in the dugout. Under Butler we got hot several times and it started to feel like maybe we could turn the corner. Everytime that happened though we promptly cratered and then packed it in for the season. Same thing happened this year, we got hot, started to feel it and then promptly cratered. However this time we didn't pack it in and the team fought back and saved the season. Coaching and coaching mentality matter and we have a good one. Let's finish off the year 8-0and go into the tourny on a roll.
                      Fixed

An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

• Originally posted by JJClamdip View Post

Fixed
                        Since we won the final 3 against UCF that would be more correctly 11-0.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockerman View Post
                          You can almost smell something cooking in the dugout. Under Butler we got hot several times and it started to feel like maybe we could turn the corner. Everytime that happened though we promptly cratered and then packed it in for the season. Same thing happened this year, we got hot, started to feel it and then promptly cratered. However this time we didn't pack it in and the team fought back and saved the season. Coaching and coaching mentality matter and we have a good one. Let's finish off the year 6-2 and go into the tourny on a roll.
                          Mike Kennedy pointed out that the most American Conference games we won was 9 wins. Thus far, we have won 13 wins under Wedge, and we play two of the bottom three teams so we should win at least 4 games (probably 6 or so). Unless we crash, during the next 8 games, (actually even if) this year is real improvement.

Comment

• This is our 3rd season in the American for baseball. 2018 we were 9-14-1 and 2019 we were 9-15. Compare the 13 wins now to those 9 is a roughly fair comparison (24 vs 32 scheduled conference games). Either way it's marked improvement (the American is down this season for sure).

So far, all games included we have the following records against conference foes since joining The American:

UCF 6-4
                            UM 4-2
                            USF 4-3-1
                            UH 7-7
                            ECU 6-6
                            TU 3-6
                            UC 2-8

So we only have losing records against 2 conference members. (Obviously omitting our abysmal 2-7 record against Uconn, including 0-3 in Clearwater).

Comment

• RPI up to 53.

Comment

• Fun to watch this weekend. I was discouraged after Friday, I shouldn’t have been.

Hard to not get too excited when they win and then too disappointed when they lose. I forgot how much fun shocker baseball can be.

Just like so many of you, I want it back badly. Glad to come out and support next 2 weekends. I also hate no midweek games.

Comment

Working...
                                X