X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ShockerFever
    replied
    Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    Anyone planning on going downtown for Saturday's game?

I ask only to gauge interest. If you go online, it would appear tickets are somewhat limited, like maybe 75% gone.

Also, has anyone heard a rumor about all restrictions being removed for outdoor events at WSU?
    Will be attending with my dad.

It appears they aren't blocking off rows either for seating. Looks like they're jamming everyone in. I assume the mask mandate will still be in place there or no?

Hopefully the Shocks carry their momentum in to Saturday. That looks to be a fun afternoon with a big crowd and seemingly beautiful weather.

Leave a comment:

• pogo
    replied
    My brother and I are going and I heard JJ Clamdip will be in attendance as well. Looking forward to see our Shocks spank a couger this Saturday. Looking forward to being in the crowd to be the first to watch a baseball game at the new River Front Stadium. Go Shocks

Leave a comment:

• 1979Shocker
    replied

I ask only to gauge interest. If you go online, it would appear tickets are somewhat limited, like maybe 75% gone.

Also, has anyone heard a rumor about all restrictions being removed for outdoor events at WSU?
    There's this.

Students react to WSU’s decision to end COVID-19 restrictions (ksn.com)

Leave a comment:

• WuDrWu
    replied

Leave a comment:

• 1972Shocker
    replied
    Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post
    Great road series by the Shockers; now let's watch them repeat this outcome at home to establish 18-10 overall and 6-2 conference records.
    Obviously that's what Shocker fans are hoping for and rooting for but hard to have series much closer than what the Shockers and the Cougars just played. Both teams pitched very well. That 4-game set could have just about gone any direction. A 3-1 outcome being pretty darn good. But it could just as easily been 1-3 or even 0-4.

Another 3-1 result this next weekend would be an excellent outcome especially considering Houston was picked a notch ahead of the Shocks at 4th vs 5th in the preseason coaches' poll and our two preseason All-Conference picks, Liam Eddy and Couper Cornblum, have not been very sharp yet. Add the fact that Jake Hamilton, Connery Peters and Jacob Lindemann have not been available to pitch yet this year the Shocks are doing pretty well at this point.

This next weekend could continue to build on that decent start are could just as easily turn around in the other direction. Would sure like to see the Shocks find some more scoring this weekend.

Leave a comment:

• pogo
    replied
    I'm not saying anything to jinx the next series.

Leave a comment:

• Shocker1976
    replied
    Great road series by the Shockers; now let's watch them repeat this outcome at home to establish 18-10 overall and 6-2 conference records.

Leave a comment:

• Shockm
    replied
    Well Stuempfig was good again. I was somewhat wrong about Hynes. He still played with fire with 4 walks but he only gave up 5 hits and 2 earned runs.

Leave a comment:

• 1972Shocker
    replied
    Another very well pitched game this time by Hynes and Stuempfig. Stuempfig definitely had to work to get that save. Big home run by Paxton Wallace to tie the game in the 6th and a big clutchd 2-out RBI single by Sigrist in the 9th to provide the winning margin.

Shocks win there 3rd 1-run pitching duel in a row.

Credit to both teams for pitching very well especially over the last 3 games of the series.

Now they get to return to Wichita and do it all over again.

The weekend has to be viewed as a positive for the Shocks.

Correction: I believe Stuempfig will get the win in this game as he was the pitcher of record when the Shocks scored in the 9th.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 3, 2021, 03:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SB Shock
    replied
    Big win and way to come back and take the series.!

Leave a comment:

• shocks02
    replied
    Sigrist singles in Stroh and its 3-2! Get the Haase fella warmed up.

Leave a comment:

• 1972Shocker
    replied
    Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
    RF caught the ball about 20 feet from where second baseman sets up and the third base coach thought it was a good idea to send the runner from third? Yikes.

we are playing with fire keeping Hynes out there.
    At least we assume the 3rd base coach sent him. If he did tells you something about the confidence they have in Hunter Gibson who would have been up. Hopefully, Gibson takes that as in insult and does something about it leading off the 9th.

Leave a comment:

• shocks02
    replied
    RF caught the ball about 20 feet from where second baseman sets up and the third base coach thought it was a good idea to send the runner from third? Yikes.

we are playing with fire keeping Hynes out there.

Leave a comment:

• 1972Shocker
    replied
    Game 4 of 8

Spencer Hynes on the mound for the Shocks.

A lead off walk and a 1-out home run to left put Houston up 2-0 in the 2nd.

Houston gifts the Shocks a run in the 3rd on 4 walks. The only walks of the game through 6 innings by the Houston starter.

Paxton Wallace leads off the Shocker 6th with a long bomb into the trees in left center to tie the game at 2-all.

Hynes has been pretty good so far. His biggest issue is his command. He has 4 walks in 5 innings one of which scored ahead of the 2nd inning home run.

Hynes works around a lead off single and a 2-out stolen base to hold the fort in the bottom of the 6th.

Both teams down in order in the 7th. Houston's starter, Ben Sears, is at 105 pitches. Hynes, who got his 1st strike out of the game in the 7th, is only at 82 pitches.

Houston goes to the bullpen with Derrick Cherry in the 8th. I think we are likely to see Spencer back out in the 8th but we will see.

With 1 out in the 8th Wallace chops a two hopper toward the left side and the pitcher fielded it an threw wildly past first with Wallace advancing all the way to 3rd. Houston walks Kocis intentionally bringing up Barlett. Bartlett popped out to shallow right but Wallace tagged and tried to score and was out by a mile at the plate. Shocks blow a golden opportunity.

Hynes does come back out for the 8th. Hynes falls behind 3-0. Gets a strike on a borderline pitch then gives up a line drive that just eludes Sigrist at second for a lead off single and Spencer Hynes is done for the day. Ryan Suempfig on to try to hold the fort for the Shocks. I would anticiapte Houston will try to sacrfice the runner into scoring position. The sac bunt is wel executed and Houston has a RISP with 1 out. After going 3-0 the Shocks intentionally walk the next batter. Probably a good move. High chop back to Stuempfig for out #2 as runners advance to 2nd and 3rd. Couper Cornblum goes to the top of the wall in center to snag a long fly ball to center. Checking to see if it bounced off the top of the wall before being caught. Doesn't look like it to me. I think it will be ruled a catch. The call stands as the Shocks dodge a bullet.

Gibson walks. Cooper Elliott inserted to run for Gibson. Cornblum surprisingly not sacrificing flies out to center. Elliott steals second and advances to 3rd when the throw goes into the center. Stroh hit by a pitch an steals second. Another great chance for the Shocks. Stewart bounces back to the pitcher. Elliott caught off 3rd and the 3rd baseman runs him down. Jack Sigrist with an excellent at bat singling to right through the 3-4 hole to drive in Seth Stroh with the go ahead run. Shocks lead 3-2.

Look for Aaron Haase to come in an try to close. Nope. Looks like Wedge sticking with Stuempfig. Can of corn to right. 1 out. Error by Kocis at 1st. Tying run on base.we Runner takes off from 1st on a 1-2 pitch. Cadena got rid of it quick but short-hopped Stewart who made a nice pick and tag on a close play that was rules with the out call standing. Stuempfig then walks the batter. Stuempfig staying in. One way or the other this is probably his last batter. A pop up to Kocis in foul territory ends the game.

Shocker 3 - Houston 2. Shockers win the road half of the 8 game series 3-1.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 3, 2021, 02:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• WuDrWu
    replied
    Gifford was not sharp but damn, Haase was even better tonight. The 3rd batter had NO shot, half swung at Haase's slider that broke 3 feet outside, got away from Cadena and the batter was able to just make it to first.

Haase then froze the next guy with his curve to end it. Aaron picks up his 6th and 7th saves on the season. Good day!

I want to clarify my comment here. Cadena played the ball as well as he could have, the pitch was just that good. He scrambled out and managed to make a great throw that nearly got the batter (they had to replay to confirm the safe call).

What I wanted to add is the leadership Ross showed late in the game. Jack Sigrist was a bit casual on a ground ball that ended up putting Jace up against it. Ross called time and made sure everyone was focused. He appeared to get his point across. Outstanding leadership.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X