Opening Weekend Shocks at Northwestern State Demons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opening Weekend Shocks at Northwestern State Demons

The Shocks will travel to Natchitoches, LA to open the 2020 season against the Demons. This is a series set up by the previous staff and I believe they come here next season, but I am not positive.

Opening day is Friday, 630PM first pitch then Saturday 2PM and Sunday 1PM to close out the first weekend.

The Demons were 29-25 last season and ended with a 121 RPI and were 11-10 in Q1 and Q2 games combined. They were 20-8 at home and finished 7th at 15-15 in the Southland Conference. They are picked to finish 5th in the Southland Conference this spring.

The Shocks were 28-31 last season and ended with an 83 RPI and were 13-25 in Q1 and Q2 games combined. They were 8-15 on the road and finished 8th in the American. The Shocks were the preseason last place pick in the American this spring.

The Shocks and Demons have met 4 times previously, with WSU winning all 4 matchups. The Shocks took an early season tourney game from the Demons in Mobile, AL in 2002, 5-4 then swept the Demons in a 3 game set in Wichita in 2005.

Senior OF Tyler Smith is the lone Northwestern State representative on either the 1st or 2nd Southland Conference preseason teams. Their 36 man roster shows 7 seniors and 12 juniors.

I see former Shocker pitcher Cal Carver is on the roster. If he's eligible I would suspect the Shockers see him this weekend.

I'm guessing some kind of rotation of junior Jake Hamilton, junior Liam Eddy and senior Preston Snavely will get first crack at the Demons.

Things to keep in mind this season: There's a pitch clock again. Our catchers will call their own games. Look for WSU game times to drop by about 30-45 minutes per.

Ross Cadena will get the lion's share of the work behind the plate. Sophomore RHP Aaron Haase is likely to get first crack at the closer position.

We're likely to see a lot of lineups throughout the year. I feel solid about junior Garrett Kocis at 1st. If everyone is healthy that should put sophomore Jack Sigrist at 2nd. Most everything else is up for grabs.

We're going to have to be successful using almost all right handed pitching. We only have 3 LHP on the roster. Beau Leonards and Conner Oliver are true freshmen and didn't show a lot in the fall. Junior college transfer Trevor Munsch did show promise in the fall, but could be our only viable LH option. He could get a ton of appearances.

Really looking forward to the beginning of the Eric Wedge era at WSU. I have to believe he will return honor, passion and winning to our once great program, and hopefully sooner than later.

Go Shocks!!
    Last edited by WuDrWu; February 10, 2020, 04:22 PM.

Roster down to 31 now.

Comment

31 players committed to do what is necessary.

Comment

My wife and I were able to get an autographed poster of the baseball team at the MBB game vs Cincy. It was fun talking to the players and coaches as we walked down the line. HCEW should follow in the GS tradition and win the handshake. That guy has some meat hooks let me tell you! I am excited to see some well played baseball. I am very proud of the poster and will display it proudly. Go Shocks!
        Go Shocks!

Comment

The previous staff just LOVED going down to Louisiana whenever they could.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Did not see that coming. Kid played so hard. Sad.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
              Did not see that coming. Kid played so hard. Sad.
              Are we talking about Austin Roccaforte?

Comment

Yes, unfortunately we are.

Comment

The 31 players that remain have what it takes to get the job done IMO. There is a lot of versatility on this team with a few guys that can play several positions well, so Wedge can go lean on the positional roster. Look for a couple of freshman to surprise this year.

Comment

Couple of freshman positional players or pitchers? I mean both would be nice.

Derek Shaver seems to be the most talent ready position player. Clemons or Marsh, perhaps?

I'm struggling to find a rookie pitcher that's going to make a big impact. Not saying they won't help here and there, but who's got a live enough arm of the freshman to really surprise?

Comment

Live arms are great, but half (or over) the battle is being able to throw strikes...then spot those strikes at this level.

Comment

I don't think I've been this excited for opening day since 2008. And I think we are probably going to kinda suck.

Comment

Really need our 3 starting pitchers, all upper classmen, to set the tone this weekend. Hamilton, Eddy and Snavely. I've seen Preston throw and his command and confidence is way beyond what he had last year at any time, and there were certainly times throughout the season that he was our best pitcher. If I'm right and he's improved, and Liam and Jake are clearly better (and no doubt they are) then you have to assume our starting pitching is going to be improved, perhaps a lot.

According to goshockers.com Jake will get the ball tomorrow night. Pitch and play defense and let's see what happens. Go Shocks!

Comment

It's not just the new energy created by having a new coach, it's the quality of the background of that coach that has me pumped up to follow Shocker baseball! Y'all are probably gonna have to put up with me asking a lot of dumb, basic questions about baseball this year! Sorry in advance.
                            Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

The ball is smaller than a basketball and is white in color but not to be confused with a golf ball

Comment

Working...
                              X