2019-20 Fall Ball and Preseason Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pogo View Post

I guess we will see which players can take "Brutal" practices in the new era at WSU. First time I have heard the expression of not prepared because of lack of practice work. I guess this could be just one aspect of kids not being the same that even HCGS alluded to in his final years at the helm. I guess we will see who is still here in the spring time. Go Shox
    Who survives this change will be interesting.

Who is willing to sign up for it is the key.

Black takes the series in a 1-0 pitching duel.

FINAL | The Black Team takes the 2019 Fall World Series, 3-2, with a 1-0 victory over Yellow this afternoon. W - Preston Snavely (5 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 5 SO); SV - Preston Minor (1 IP, 0 H, 0 ER).

#DrivingSucce22 x #watchus

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
      Black takes the series in a 1-0 pitching duel.

FINAL | The Black Team takes the 2019 Fall World Series, 3-2, with a 1-0 victory over Yellow this afternoon. W - Preston Snavely (5 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 5 SO); SV - Preston Minor (1 IP, 0 H, 0 ER).
      Game 5 Box Score

I'm left with my usual intrasquad game conundrum. Really liked seeing the solid pitching. On the other hand what happened to the offense. Was it really the good pitching or a bad day at the plate. I'm hoping it was good pitching. Anyone at the game that can give some color on what they saw?

Comment

There were some well-hit balls — just into the teeth of a strong north wind. Diehl in particular absolutely crushed a ball to left, but it was a moonshot and Slavens caught it looking straight up with his back against the wall.

I thought it was actually a pretty good game down the stretch with several scoring opportunities, but the starters were in control early. 7 inning game, so only 2 innings of relievers for each team.
        “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Originally posted by Wuzee View Post
          There were some well-hit balls — just into the teeth of a strong north wind. Diehl in particular absolutely crushed a ball to left, but it was a moonshot and Slavens caught it looking straight up with his back against the wall.

I thought it was actually a pretty good game down the stretch with several scoring opportunities, but the starters were in control early. 7 inning game, so only 2 innings of relievers for each team.
          Thanks for that report. I was visiting my daughter in Baldwin City and it was a very pleasant day there with little wind.

Comment

The wind wasn't consistent but like Wuzee said, Diehl hit one that's out 364 days, but not at 230 yesterday. It was howling when he connected.

A couple of nifty plays in the field, but one that wasn't quite was spectacular. A foul ball down the left field line looked headed for the bullpen when Couper Cornblum went flying head first into foul ground and damned near made an unbelievable grab but the ball popped out of his glove. 150% all out head first dive in mid October. Just what HCEW is looking for this fall.

If you haven't been out to a fall game, one thing I KNOW die hard Shocker baseball fans are going to like is the pace of the game. They get the ball, they throw ball and the catchers call the game. There's no mucking around. Even when runners are on there's just a different pace and it is GLORIOUS.

Wuzee I was not paying all that close attention, but was AJ at 3rd and Paxton at short yesterday?

After watching the FWS the only thing I'm fairly confident in is Kocis at 1st, Sigrist somewhere (probably 2nd) & Cadena behind the plate.

Other than that...I think Josh Killeen will give Ross the occasional day off, if not regular day off. Derek Shaver will get a chance to find himself a spot (might remind you a little of Jenista) in the lineup, Blake Marsh might too. Tommy Barnhouse looks to finally be healthy. Would love to see what kind of year he could have staying healthy.

No idea what kind of rotation we'll have. Liam Eddy is probably the most reliable of everyone, but Barnhouse, Stuempfig, Marley, Snavely, Lindemann & Peters....just not that much separates that group. Obviously still hopeful that juco transfer Jake Hamilton will be ready to go in February. I guess I'd be surprised if any of the freshman cracked the starting rotation.

Assuming everyone is healthy come February (no guarantees) I'd probably guess Hamilton, Eddy, Barnhouse & Snavely would be our 4. I really wish Peters and or Lindemann would crack that list though as they have the most upside imho.

Haase probably gets first shot at closer.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Game 5 Box Score

I'm left with my usual intrasquad game conundrum. Really liked seeing the solid pitching. On the other hand what happened to the offense. Was it really the good pitching or a bad day at the plate. I'm hoping it was good pitching. Anyone at the game that can give some color on what they saw?
              Blue had a pitcher's zone, low was a strike and Barnhouse was pounding it low. I can't remember more than maybe 3 pitches up from him. Snavely pitched backwards, which is what he does best, and had the guys off balance most of the time as his curve was on point. There was no gun available, but to me it seemed like his velocity was down a bit. Still he pitched well. Gibby turned a Slavens single (might have been a double) into a triple but then probably our two most reliable hitters, DVV and Sigrist failed to get him in.

Katzfey executed a nice hit and run and stretched it into a double after a Shaver infield single. Shaver scored on a sac fly.
              Last edited by WuDrWu; October 20, 2019, 03:35 PM.

Comment

WuDrWu your thoughts on the pace of the game and Fr. Derek Shaver are pretty much identical to mine after Game 2. I absolutely loved the pace of play and Derek certainly looks like an athlete and a player.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                  The wind wasn't consistent but like Wuzee said, Diehl hit one that's out 364 days, but not at 230 yesterday. It was howling when he connected.

A couple of nifty plays in the field, but one that wasn't quite was spectacular. A foul ball down the left field line looked headed for the bullpen when Couper Cornblum went flying head first into foul ground and damned near made an unbelievable grab but the ball popped out of his glove. 150% all out head first dive in mid October. Just what HCEW is looking for this fall.

If you haven't been out to a fall game, one thing I KNOW die hard Shocker baseball fans are going to like is the pace of the game. They get the ball, they throw ball and the catchers call the game. There's no mucking around. Even when runners are on there's just a different pace and it is GLORIOUS.

Wuzee I was not paying all that close attention, but was AJ at 3rd and Paxton at short yesterday?

After watching the FWS the only thing I'm fairly confident in is Kocis at 1st, Sigrist somewhere (probably 2nd) & Cadena behind the plate.

Other than that...I think Josh Killeen will give Ross the occasional day off, if not regular day off. Derek Shaver will get a chance to find himself a spot (might remind you a little of Jenista) in the lineup, Blake Marsh might too. Tommy Barnhouse looks to finally be healthy. Would love to see what kind of year he could have staying healthy.

No idea what kind of rotation we'll have. Liam Eddy is probably the most reliable of everyone, but Barnhouse, Stuempfig, Marley, Snavely, Lindemann & Peters....just not that much separates that group. Obviously still hopeful that juco transfer Jake Hamilton will be ready to go in February. I guess I'd be surprised if any of the freshman cracked the starting rotation.

Assuming everyone is healthy come February (no guarantees) I'd probably guess Hamilton, Eddy, Barnhouse & Snavely would be our 4. I really wish Peters and or Lindemann would crack that list though as they have the most upside imho.

Haase probably gets first shot at closer.

You were correct on AJ and Wallace. I watched parts or all of every Shocker WS game and Wallace and Elliot were the only guys used at SS.

Paxton is your starting SS going into the spring, I think. Shaver looked the strongest at third, although Jackson made a couple of nice plays, too. My best guess at a starting lineup is based on those games and exhibitions is:

CF - VanVooren or Katzfey (VanVooren is probably the guy here. Didn't hit well in the series, but was solid last year.)
                  LF - Katzfey or Slavens (Slavens had two very poor efforts in LF one of which was an error and one of which should have been but he misread it so bad that didn't get close enough to muff it.)
                  1B - Kocis (Looks like a damn pro out there. Flashing leather at 1B. Dropping bombs. Wish we'd had him down the stretch last year.)
                  SS - Wallace (Also looked great for the series)
                  RF - Gibson (Greatly improved outfield play)
                  3B - Shaver (Smooth player. Fields it well. Good arm.)
                  C - Cadena
                  2B - Sigrist
                  DH - Slavens or Katzfey / Jackson / Roccaforte / Elliot / Clemons

I should add that Roccaforte was pretty impressive with the bat during the series. He was second behind Wallace and Clemons with 5 RBI for the series, drew some walks and didn't strike out once. He battles and puts the ball in play. I don't think he can beat out Sigrist, but he should get his chances in pinch hitting and DH opportunities. Cade Clemons also looked good at times -- even though he's occasionally got a weird hitch in his swing.

Notable lines ...

Wallace - 8/17 .471; 6 RBI
                  Slavens - 6/15 .400; 2 doubles; 0 Ks
                  Kocis - 7/18 .389; 2HR; 4 doubles; 3 RBI; 5 runs; (7 Ks)
                  Roccaforte - 5/16 .313; 5 RBI; 1 triple; 3 BB; 0 Ks.

Snavely was pretty dominant on the bump. 3 hits and 0 ER in 9 IP with 10 Ks and 1 walk.

Oliver, Minor, Marley, Lindemann, Gifford and Troxler were also very effective.
                  “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Why wasn't Kocis available down the stretch last year? Injury?
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

• Yes. Really came on midseason, and led the team in BA in conference-only stats early, but hurt an ankle, I think, sliding into second on a double against UCF.

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• Originally posted by Wuzee View Post
                        Yes. Really came on midseason, and led the team in BA in conference-only stats early, but hurt an ankle, I think, sliding into second on a double against UCF.
                        Okay. Thanks.

Comment

• Installation of new turf in process. The outfiled fence has also come down and will be replaced.

Comment

• Comment

• Definitely a few things in there that make you wonder WTF has been going on for a few years, but it's good to see it's getting fixed. I think this is going to take a little time.

Comment

• Very good article. It will take time for the players to trust the staff but I love the comment by Wedge about throwing strikes and not beating ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                                X