No announcement yet.

2019/2020 Roster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know where Mateo Martinez ended up at?

Comment

Roster is now down to 37. Hollis Huff and Reece Koon are gone. We now have three LHPs on the roster: Munsch, Oliver and Leonards. The Shocks haven't carried fewer than four in recent memory.
      “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

The class breakdown of the current roster of 37 is as follows:

Freshmen - 13 (including 3 redshirts)
        Sophomores - 8 (including 1 redshirt)
        Juniors - 11 - (including 2 redshirts)
        Seniors - 5

Based on the positions played in the two exhibition games the position breakdown appears to be as follows:
        1B - 2 (Garret Kocis, Blake Marsh)
        2B - 2 (Jack Sigrist, Austin Roccafort)
        SS - 2 (Elliot Cooper, Derek Shaver)
        3B - 2 (Paxton Wallace, Alex Jackson)
        OF - 6 (Hunter Gibson, Jacob Katzfey, David VanVooren, Brady Slavens, Couper Cornblum, Cade Clemons)
        C - 4 (Ross Cadena, Josh Killeen, Quinten Albrecht, Chirs Diehl)
        LHP - 3 (Beau Leonards, Trevor Munsch, Connor Oliver)
        RHP - 16 (See the Roster)

As pointed out by Wuzee we are light on left handed pitching. Beau Leonards pitched 1 inning against Missouri State. Munsch and Oliver did not pitch in the 2 exhibition games.

Right handed pitchers Jake Hamilton, Connery Peters, Preston Minor, Kyle Wilson and Foster Gifford did not pitch in the 2 exhibition games.

We know Jake Hamilton is sitting out this fall. We'll have to see whether any of these other guys pitch in the Shocker Fall Series.

16 of the 18 position players saw action in both exhibition games. Catchers Albrecht and Dield did not play agaisnt Nebraska.

My guess is one catcher and one pitcher will eventually be cut to get down to the final roster of 35. A total of 16 pitchers saw action for the Shocks last year. Preston Minor who did not pitch in either of the 2 exhbition games and only pitched in 3 games last year recording a total of 3 outs. He did not give up a hit and struck out one but he walked 5 batters. I don't recall if he was injured or simply lost the confidence of the coaching staff. I wouldn't think they would want to cut any of the lefties if they can help it.

Comment

Sadly, there is plenty to pick from in the remaining 37. There's nothing that says if you survive the next 2 cuts that you're on the team. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if the final number is less than 35. This program isn't for everyone. Not a knock on anybody, just reality. My personal guess is we cut only pitchers, but that's a guess only.

Comment

I have no way to know for sure but I can't help but feel that Todd Butler's more or less lame duck status hurt us in the recruiting wars during the last year for sure and probably the last 2 years. It will be interesting see see how the 2020 and 2021 recruiting classes play out. This will be critical to getting the ship righted and moving in the right direction. But that doesn't mean we should not surpport this year's guys as long as they are giving us everything they have and I don't think HCEW will settle for anything less.

Comment

Excellent point 1972Shocker . I would add that a real disconnect emerged between HCTB and PCMS and there were both a lack of recruiting efforts for pitchers, and a lack of coordination regarding those we were recruiting. PCMS wears a bunch of that responsibility and certainly HCTB was in charge so it's ultimately his to wear. Mike wanted to coach, not recruit, Todd counted on him to recruit but then barely held him accountable and didn't involve himself enough. The results of maybe a 30% effort in pitching recruiting in 2016, 2017 and 2018 can be seen in the results in '17, '18; '19, '20 and probably '21 too. This staff will right the ship but it's going to take time. Plenty of blame to go around, but those of us here can start by fixing one of them, and that's exactly what you said, and support these guys.

Also, the 1st pitch banquet will return sometime over the winter. If the last 3 months or so are any indication, alumni support will be beyond strong. I suggest you make plans to get your tickets early and keep your wallets filled. I'd bet it sells out fast and I'm hoping for a variety of MBL donations from friends of HCEW as auction items. A signed Ken Griffey Jr Mariner jersey would be sweet. I have zero idea if HCEW even talks to Junior, but it's fun to think about the possibilities. How about an Ichiro glove? IDK Maybe I'm the only one that's stoked about that sort of thing.

It's not iffy if it's Griffey. That blows.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                Sadly, there is plenty to pick from in the remaining 37. There's nothing that says if you survive the next 2 cuts that you're on the team. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if the final number is less than 35. This program isn't for everyone. Not a knock on anybody, just reality. My personal guess is we cut only pitchers, but that's a guess only.
                The "this program isn't for everyone" narrative plays out in every program, to an extent, it's just more pronounced with a first-year head coach and then magnified with a first-year guy with extremely high standards. There are usually additions to the roster in the spring semester, and I would think WSU would be a pretty intriguing transfer destination for those who didn't fit in at other schools. I'll be interested to see if new names emerge in January.
                “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Kyle Wilson, a 6-2 Fr. RHP from Ft. Worth, is still listed on the roster at goshockers.com. However, he is not on the 2019 FWS Roster.

Comment

Out at the Eck. Black team is shelling Stumpy 7-0 on 9 hits through three innings. Kocis with a HR and a 2B, Albrecht with a bases-loaded 2B and a hard shot up the middle off of stumpy’’s leg that resulted in a throwing error. So far Eddy has cruised.

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Wallace who is starting at SS just went yard.. He’s looked good there so far, but hasn’t had to range laterally yet.

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Preston Minor relieves Stumpy and looks good, striking out Kocis and Gibson before giving up a single to Roccaforte, his third hit. Weak grounder from Shaver ends the inning.

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Troxler and Minor trade a pair of scoreless frames. Foster Gifford comes on bottom of six. Gives up an unearned run after a brutal two-base error by Slavens on a fairly routine fly ball. Turf monster may have gotten him. 8-1 Black heading to 7.

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Marley gets touched for a run on back-to-back doubles from Killeen and Slavens, but Gets out of it. 8-2.

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Roster is at 34 now. Albrecht, McCraw and Minor are gone.

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Mateo Martinez is at Barton College in NC

Comment

Working...
                                X