Eric Wedge - New Baseball Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
    Gene would make one helluva a consultant to get Wedge acclimated for a year, wouldn't he?
    I think he will be consulted regardless of whether he does or does not officially have a consulting contract.

Comment

• shockfan89_
      shockfan89_ commented
      Editing a comment
      I imagine Gene will be at the stadium more days than not. Probably just checking on his Skybox, but he might notice a thing or two that could help out his former players as they lead the program forward.

The contract will be public record so anyone can look at it when it’s available

Comment

I don't care what he's getting paid. It's well worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        Eric will be in Wichita the first of next week.

As for the contract details, if I was Cold I'd march my happy ass right on over to the AD's office and if he wasn't taking a nap, demand he produce the contract for my eyes right then and there.

If I were Cold. And clearly I am not.
        No need for me to lay eyes on "the contract", it's got exactly what Eric wanted put in there. After Mini-B's masterpiece, Wichita State has about as much leverage as a blind bum sitting on the corner tapping on pots and pans. Every Shocker fan should curtsy when they cross Eric's path.

This guy's so boss he didn't even show up for the interview. Connecting flight to Wichita? Nawww... you come to me bro. I'm stoppin' in Chicago for a few then goin' back home.

First thing that happened in the meeting was Darron asking Wedge for his autograph...

T

...:cool:

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
          I don't care what he's getting paid. It's well worth it.
          It really doesn't matter. Sign him for 88 years. If Wedge doesn't bring us back to national prominence it will be all over but the shouting.

T

Comment

Todd Butler was tremendous at recruiting and we still lost half our games, so I don't quite understand why people are worried about Wedge's lack of recruiting experience. You can hire people to do that for you anyway, at least the heavy lifting of recruiting. It's not like Gregg Marshall is out there on the back roads of North Carolina trying to unearth gems himself. He has people doing that for him and he just goes where they tell him to to look at kids. But I guess the trendy thing to do nowadays is to find something to be "skeptical" about to look like you're smarter than the rest of the room.

Comment

• WstateU
              WstateU commented
              Editing a comment
              https://media.giphy.com/media/24owDM...Vb1H/giphy.gif

• SHOCKvalue
              SHOCKvalue commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, the recruiting concerns mentioned by some I just don't get either.

Second best recruiting class in the nation a few years ago, according to Collegiate Baseball. Think it was the same class that then eventually gave us the second largest draft class in the entire country, with some seriously high picks. That was with Captain Boob at the helm.

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

First thing that happened in the meeting was Darron asking Wedge for his autograph...

T

Yeah, like on the last page of the contract....

Comment

From DrWU:
            Less hot take: Listen to the 9:25 - 9:40 section of Sports Daily this morning with Mike Rooney. His assessment of WSU, the hire and the future of WSU baseball was sobering, to say the least. Pretty much everything he said is on point.

I heard that this a.m. and Rooney made a lot of sense. BUT he didn't assess the talent that WSU had during GS's run which was actually mostly Kansas - with the random Wyoming, Indiana , Colorado recruit. I don't think he defended his position very well. What about Texas? I realize it was a short segment but I wish Shane and Bruce would have ask him more questions.

For those that didn't listen, Rooney said the AAC is a bad fit for WSU for recruiting, but he didn't say why the MVC was a good fit. He asked, "where will he get the players"?

I get some of that, but of course the AAC is better for WSU baseball than the MVC. Right?

Comment

• DJShocker10
              DJShocker10 commented
              Editing a comment
              The AAC is definitely better for baseball as well as recruiting. The AAC opens the Carolinas and Florida which is huge. There are tons of high level players in those areas, but not enough schools for all those players to get on a D1 roster. Could they go to an area juco to stay draft eligible? Yes. But it’s natural for players to want to play at the highest level they can at all times. These guys want to play D1 baseball, and we got a lot more exposure to these players with the move to the AAC.

• Shocktoberfest
              Shocktoberfest commented
              Editing a comment
              Plus Butler did have success bringing in talent. Rooney totally missed that point. They just need somebody to coach them. I’m not worried. Guys will want to play here.

I'm so tired of hearing how WSU can't compete for the CWS in this new era of modern baseball. I'm ready to see what Wedge can accomplish.
            Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

• vbird53
              vbird53 commented
              Editing a comment
              I absolutely agree. You think it was easy for Gene?

Originally posted by Ta Town Shocker View Post
            I'm so tired of hearing how WSU can't compete for the CWS in this new era of modern baseball. I'm ready to see what Wedge can accomplish.
            Slight apples and oranges but ten years ago, you would have been laughed at for suggesting that WSU could go to the Final 4 or get a 1 seed in men’s basketball. WSU will never make CWS 5 times in 6 years again, but it’s still possible to make it there every now and then if you have a strong leader who truly believes it.
            78-65

Comment

• WstateU
              WstateU commented
              Editing a comment
              “Never is a long long time”...

RH: No. 22 Gets Started on His New Job

Eric Wedge's cell phone is filled with voice messages and texts from people throughout his baseball life.

Those messages highlight the importance of the job he took on Wednesday as baseball coach at Wichita State. Shocker baseball matters a lot to a lot of people and it is Wedge's job to make it matter even more in the coming seasons.

"The reaction has been overwhelming," he said. "The reaction from fans, the reaction from the university, the reaction from the city of Wichita, the reaction of the baseball world, the reaction of people that know me personally – it's humbling."

"It's a true, genuine sincerity of being excited that I've decided to take this role on," he said. "I don't take that lightly. I know this is a great responsibility."

He knows he can lean on plenty of people – from former Shockers coach Gene Stephenson to Loren Hibbs, who moved from an assistant at Wichita State to take over at Charlotte in 1992. Brent Kemnitz, Shockers pitching coach during Wedge's time as catcher, is an assistant athletic director.

"I'm going to need a lot of help from a lot of people," Wedge said. "I've got a lot to learn, and I'm excited to do that."

"I've always been excited about the city of Wichita and I obviously have a passion for Wichita State University and, of course, Wichita State baseball," he said. "I like different challenges. I like doing what I haven't done before. When I have an opportunity to do it where I went to school, in a state that I love and with people I care about . . . it's exciting."

Comment

• WstateU
              WstateU commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow, Cold will need a moist towel...

• C0|dB|00ded
              C0|dB|00ded commented
              Editing a comment
              The title of that photo should be "Big Swingin' *****... in Spring"

T

Greg Brummett on The Drive on Thurdsay, May 30th

Greg saying that Eric called Gene and asked his permission to take the job at Wichita State.

Comment

Sweet monkey fritters.

See you all at the ballpark.

Comment

• Kung Wu
                Kung Wu commented
                Editing a comment
                Where you been??

• Cdizzle
                Cdizzle commented
                Editing a comment
                Waiting.

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
              Greg Brummett on The Drive on Thurdsay, May 30th

Greg saying that Eric called Gene and asked his permission to take the job at Wichita State.

T

Comment

Soren Petro was interviewing Jamie Bluma about the MLB and Royals draft. He finished with a question about “What’s going on over there with Wichita State baseball” and Bluma talked about his excitement with Eric Wedge being hired. Words getting out.

Comment

• Shockm
                  Shockm commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I totally disagree. The AD hired the new coach and while I don't know Wedge's salary level, the AD had to make it happen. A good AD always sees which way the "wind is blowing" and if it is a good decision, he makes it happen. He is still on the watch for this decision too. The past President seemed to be in his corner and the new President when he is hired, will also chime in.

• WuDrWu
                  WuDrWu commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Shockm you're right and Cold is as wrong as he could be.

• C0|dB|00ded
                  C0|dB|00ded commented
                  Editing a comment
                  LOL!

BroRight had about as much to do with Wedge coming to Wichita State as the lovely tulips that are planted on campus each and every year. Christ, even Wedge said so himself in the presser. But anyone with an ounce of common sense could attest to that fact - and it makes no difference what Doc and all the AD assistants liking his comments on the issue have to say.

1) Wichita State has been in his heart since '89
                  2) Brent contacted Wedge before Mini-B was hired
                  3) Brent contacted Wedge after Mini-B was fired
                  4) Gene Stephenson weighed heavily on his decision
                  5) BR collated the contract papers

T

Working...
              X