Eric Wedge - New Baseball Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

Here’s the mistake I see in this line of reasoning: Wedge didn’t obtain some magic coaching touch via osmosis 30 years ago, and assuming both that Gene’s approach still works (clearly, it didn’t work like it used to which was partially why he was fired) and that Wedge will do the same things is flawed at best.
    I must have not worded my post very well. The point is that I miss the swagger of the GS era when we were loaded with players who might not out talent you but prided themselves on out competing you. Wedge has a long enough track record in coaching baseball for us to say without doubt that will be his mantra as well. He will coach the team in his own way though and will likely have a completely different philosophy in why he does what he does. With that said, it will look like shocker baseball on the field to the alumni and fans. Win or lose, that is what I care about the most.
    Last edited by Shockerman; May 29, 2019, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Hot take- we will be over .600 next year with a top 10 recruiting class, in the dance the following year, hosting a super regional in Wedge’s third year.

Comment

• shockfan89_
        shockfan89_ commented
        Editing a comment
        I hear what he is saying on the challenges, but he did admit it all comes down to the person themselves. The bottom line is there are people that just have that X factor and just know how to win. Wedge is one of those guys. I think you can give a Wedge, a Hooper, a Standiford the exact same players that WSU has had the past 6 years and I think the result is 20% more victories, probably even closer to 30% more.

• 1979Shocker
        1979Shocker commented
        Editing a comment
        I guess that means he will be doing better record wise coaching in college than he did in the majors.

• WstateU
        WstateU commented
        Editing a comment
        MLB record doesn’t mean much, check Ned Yost’s record for a comparison. Wedge had to rebuild both Cleveland and Seattle.

So will there not be any introductory press conference?
      When will we know the contract details?
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• KraRam
        KraRam commented
        Editing a comment
        I saw somewhere that it would be next week.

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
      It might just take a little bit to get Eric here due to his schedule. Darron and Brent met him in Chicago on Tuesday. I also read that Eric has not been to Wichita yet through this process. I would imagine that it'll happen soon enough.
      78-65

Comment

• ShockerFever
        ShockerFever commented
        Editing a comment
        As SV pointed out, why can’t we know anymore details? Was I out of line asking about something that’s seemingly viewed as standard?

• Dark Lord
        Dark Lord commented
        Editing a comment
        I would assume that the details are not completed at this time and that is why you cannot see them. Let the lawyers lawyer and then you will have what you seek.

• WuDrWu
        WuDrWu commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree 100% with SHOCKvalue, it was more about the immediate need and ability to know. They agreed in principle, details to be worked out plus I believe there were American Conference meetings somewhere Wednesday and Thursday so I doubt he's even been back to ICT to finalize.

Eric will be in Wichita the first of next week.

As for the contract details, if I was Cold I'd march my happy ass right on over to the AD's office and if he wasn't taking a nap, demand he produce the contract for my eyes right then and there.

If I were Cold. And clearly I am not.

Comment

• WichitaStateGuy
        WichitaStateGuy commented
        Editing a comment
        What if you were warm?

Originally posted by Shockerman View Post

I like the Stephenson method of finding athletes and turning them into mentally tough and fundamentally sound ball players, oh and winning the f'n handshake.
      Waaaay back when, early 1980's, I heard Gene talk about recruiting. He said he always went for the shortstops because usually the best athlete on a team was the shortstop. He figured he'd teach them the other positions.

Comment

• Shocktoberfest
        Shocktoberfest commented
        Editing a comment
        This is a sound strategy. Plus pitching and catching!

Ok Doc, since this hire or any legacy hire seems to not be the direction you would’ve gone, what was your first choice then? Or were you satisfied with another year of Todd?
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• WuDrWu
        WuDrWu commented
        Editing a comment
        When did I say that? I said no such thing. Please don't do that.

I commented on what Mike Rooney said. I don't believe the concerns he mentioned can be dismissed. Can they be overcome? Yes I think they can, but his concerns are legitimate. Comparing HCEW to former players may be a little weak though. The recruiting comments are spot on.

Just to let you know, my first choice has been for longer than 2 years Eric Wedge. I am very happy with the choice, and I am thrilled that his interest in WSU has continued to the point that the job has come open. There are a TON of variables. Is he the safest pick? Perhaps, time will tell. He's the BEST pick BY FAR for Shocker Nation and that's a big part of the equation, no doubt.

Is he the one to get WSU Baseball to a higher level? I believe he will improve WSU's baseball standing. I think there are potential pitfalls, and I believe college baseball is a way different animal today than it was 10 years, 20 years ago, and 30 years ago, and MOST of those things that are different do NOT benefit WSU. That is NO reflection on anything at WSU. It's a reality.

The most important thing Mike Rooney said was about recruiting. Who are we regionally recruiting against and what's the likelihood that we're going to be successful in those battles for the better kids? That's a huge concern, and it's been a huge concern for sometime and it's not getting any easier for WSU. In fact it's getting harder. Can Eric overcome those difficulties? I don't know. I don't know anyone can. I will tell you that I will help him when I can, just as I helped Todd and Gene before him. As a supporter, the best that I can.

And I've espoused these thoughts and beliefs for years on this board.

Is that clear enough? Please stop with the strawman arguments.

• shoxlax
        shoxlax commented
        Editing a comment
        I can confirm Doc has told me privately at least a year ago that not only would Wedge be a great hire, but that he was interested. As far as I can tell this happened long before anyone else even bandied his name about.

I am still of the belief two seemingly different things can be true: Gene needed to retire but Butler was a terrible pick to replace him. In fact any one of ten of Genes former players would have been a better choice, none of which would have expected and demanded such a ridiculous contract. Next to Mike Cohen, it may have been the worst hire in the last 50 years of WSU athletics.

Back to my original point, cut Doc a little slack on this one, he was in a tough position.

Great hire!! The recruiting thing doesn't scare me. Wedge played and coached in the majors and that is what every kid he'll be recruiting wants. He has charisma and is a straight shooter, the parents will love that. It's not like it's rocket science. His experience in the majors gives him a huge advantage in recruiting.

I'd rely on him to coach and manage the team, which he undoubtedly has the expertise to do. Hire recruiters and teachers. It's baseball. It's played with the same fundamentals whether its MLB or college. The other intangibles that Wedge has and his passion for WSU will be what makes the program turn things around.

If i were still in Wichita, I would absolutely be plunking down money for season tickets.

#MakeBaseballRelevantAgain

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
        Shane said it will be Monday or Tuesday. They are still trying to nail down the press conference timing.

Comment

Here is the link to the Sports Daily segments that include the interview with ESPN college baseball analyst Mike Roonery that WuDrWu referred to earlier.

Comment

Speed
            More speed
            Nasty slider down
            That is all I want
            "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Kung Wu
              Kung Wu commented
              Editing a comment
              But what's the title of your poem?

• WSUwatcher
              WSUwatcher commented
              Editing a comment
              I thought a haiku had 17 syllables, RDR.

Bob NightengaleVerified account@BNightengale 16h16 hours ago

More
            • Copy link to Tweet
            • Embed Tweet

Very cool seeing former #MLB manager Eric Wedge returning to his alma mater to be head baseball coach at Wichita State.

Comment

Taylor Eldgridge/Wichita Eagle: ‘The future is exceedingly bright’: Gene Stephenson on WSU baseball hiring Eric Wedge

“It’s awesome, it couldn’t be any better,” Stephenson told The Eagle. “I think that the future is exceedingly bright for Shocker baseball on a national level because of this hire. Now it’s up to him and his staff and his people to go out there and get’er done.”

“This guy is going to be a true difference-maker,” Kemnitz said. “He has a passion and when he gets all fired up, you can just feed off of his energy. I don’t even know if you can accurately describe his passion and how great of a hire this is for Wichita State baseball. It’s a home-run hire.”

“He told us, ‘Guys, I’m going to have to learn on the run, but I’m up for this and I’m excited about this,’” Kemnitz said. “We know how excited he is about the program and the university and there will be a learning curve and nobody is more aware of that than him, but he’s totally embraced it and he’s excited for the challenge.”

Stephenson has known Wedge for more than three decades now and says that his character will make him stand out with recruits and their parents.

He used the example of Wedge walking away from a contract extension with the Seattle Mariners in 2013 because he felt like the front office wasn’t honoring their commitment to the rebuilding plan.

“He might be the only manager in MLB history who walked away with money on the table,” Stephenson said. “He has a code by which he lives by and it’s an honor code. I’m sure he will instill that in all of the people around him. I think this is a great choice and I’m really happy that Eric has decided that this is where he wants to be.”

An introductory news conference is expected to be held early next week.

According to Boatright, Wedge will have a “100 percent” say in how he fills out his coaching staff.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 30, 2019, 01:21 PM.

Comment

I caught Sports Daily this morning, and they had an interview with MIke Rooney, ESPN, to talk about the Wedge hire. Let's just say he has some reservations about the Eric Wedge hire. I'm sure there's a podcast if interested...

My issue is that he compared Wedge to Darin Erstad and Tony Gwynn. These guys did not have MLB managing experience, and/or take a team to within a game of the World Series. They jumped straight back to college after their playing careers. I can't think of another MLB Manager that then took a college job, anybody? Not sure there's a precedence.

Rooney did make one good point: Eric will need to adapt to college baseball, not try to bring pro ball back to college (I'm sure he understands this, but worth pointing out).

I missed the interview with Casey Blake...

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                  1972Shocker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The link to the replay of that interview is posted a few messages prior to this.

• vbird53
                  vbird53 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Missed that, thanks '72

• SB Shock
                  SB Shock commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I listened to the Rooney podcast segment. It had a sobering effect. If WSU is as tough to win at as he says it is - then u probably need a Wedge type figure running your program.

Gene would make one helluva a consultant to get Wedge acclimated for a year, wouldn't he?
                Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Working...
                X