WSU Baseball Resources

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Isn’t Hooper a hitting instructor or other trainer in the San Diego farm system?
    Yes. He is the roving infield coordinator for the Padres system. Basically coaches infield defense across the minor league system.

Comment

Standiford- Head coach and if we can swing the $$$ to make it worth his time Hoop as the assistant. I have no idea if we would be a national power again but the "keystone shocks" fielding routine would absolutely be not tolerated anymore.

Comment

Why Standiford?

Comment

I could see Standiford as an associate head coach in waiting for an Eric Wedge led team, if he’d be interested. He’s got the NCAA recruiting experience, plus regional high school and Juco connections, that neither Wedge nor Hooper possess coming in. That said, I would think that the latter two would be excellent recruiters just by force of personality. The gravitas is pretty much dripping off both those guys.
          “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
            Why Standiford?
            Yeah, it's NAIA, but he has taken Tabor to the NAIA World Series in 2014 and 2015, had post season play in each of his las 4 years, career record at Tabor is 289-120 (.707) , over the last 4 years it is 145-41 (.780). As a player, he's played in the CWS in 1988 and was named to the All Tournament Team, along with All American honors from Collegiate Baseball and second team by Baseball America. Also the Wichita State Shockers Sports Hall of Fame, Wichita Sports Hall of Fame, and Kansas Baseball Hall of Fame. Locally, he's operated the Wichita Sluggers program. Not only was he an outstanding collegiate player, but seems to be a solid coach. He also may be able to attract former WSU players with coaching experience to be a part of his staff. I'm a big Hooper fan, but I'd have no problem giving Mark an opportunity. He'd also bring fans back to the stadium.

Comment

I just don't see how someone can go from NAIA to high-level Division 1. Seems WAY too risky.

Comment

• ShockTalk
                ShockTalk commented
                Editing a comment
                How is Hooper's situation any different? No college coaching experience and the "recruiting" he did for the Wichita pro team is totally different. Assuming Wedge is even interested, much the same. No recruiting experience and managing pro players at the highest level is altogether different than college players. The one thing they all have is common is their experience at WSU and with fHCGS and staff.

Of course, I'm assuming they go with somebody from the WSU baseball family in an effort to bring fans and WSU baseball excitement back. They could make the hire from the outside, but will that have an immediate fan impact? Many may just hold off to "wait and see" what happens for a few years.

• WSUwatcher
                WSUwatcher commented
                Editing a comment
                Well, ABC, WSU tried it the "proven" way last time with an assistant from a high-level program in Butler, and how has that worked out? You're worried about risk after that experience -- or is my meter not reading out correctly?

Actually, the "proven" way did work the first time WSU tried it, because that's how they got Gene, who was (shall we say) fairly successful. The obvious potential concern about Butler was that he had tried head coaching once, and had been not much better than .500 at McNeese (whereas Stephenson was totally untested as a head man and thus had never had a chance to put up a mediocre record). Unfortunately, the potential concern about Butler seems to have materialized.

Maybe WSU just needs to spend another $600k or so and pull even with Oregon State, because apparently the difference between what the Shocks are spending and what the Beavers are spending is enough to take a program from hoping for a spot in the NCAA field to playing for national championships the way WSU used to. Or then again, maybe there's more involved than just the money...

Personally, I think either Standiford or Hooper would be a risk worth taking.
                Last edited by WSUwatcher; April 23, 2019, 12:50 AM.

Originally posted by ABC View Post
              I just don't see how someone can go from NAIA to high-level Division 1. Seems WAY too risky.
              A valid concern but perhaps no riskier than hiring someone with no collegiate coaching experience, a major component of which is having recruited high school and juco kids and having developed an existing recruiting network. And it seems like our 2 leading candidates for program Savior would carry that risk.

The Shocker athletic program does have some recent positive experience in hiring head coaches out of a lower division as 8th year Shocker softball head coach Kristi Bredbenner has done a good job. Coach Bredbenner came to Wichita State after leading D-II Emporia State though NCAA D-II is a lot closer to D-1 than NAIA is. As far as coaching and teaching ability baseball is baseball..

Comment

It might be NAIA but he has had a couple guys break into MLB right?

Comment

• Shockm
                  Shockm commented
                  Editing a comment
                  One MLB player. Maybe another low Minor ball player or two.

Hooper vs. Standiford.

Tomato vs. Tomawto. It depends on the viewpoint of each individual. There are pluses and minuses to each. I personally think that Hooper is a Kansan, and a great player who made it to Triple A ball and has the personality to sell ice at the North Pole. OTOH, Mark Standiford is a very likeable guy (obviously great collegiate and low pro player) who is a Wichitan who may have some high NAIA recruiting contacts. No Div. 1 experience.

The only home run (maybe not a HR hire) hire might be Eric Wedge who may not be interested and who probably doesn’t need the money because of the amount he made as an MLB manager. He also doesn’t have any Div. 1 experience.

I wish these here guys had been on the WSU staff previously.

Comment

Best option is also the best salad... Wedge.

Comment

Originally posted by WichitaStateGuy View Post
                    Best option is also the best salad... Wedge.
                    Is that really an option? And even if it is I am not convinced it is the best option.

Comment

• shoxlax
                      shoxlax commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes it is a legit option. Not saying it will happen but mutual interest appears to be floating around

• BostonWu
                      BostonWu commented
                      Editing a comment
                      lax - what you know about this mutual interest?

I’m thinking Wedge makes a comeback with Hooper as top assistant and recruiter. A very high profile no nonsense head coach with a knowledgeable even tempered assistant. Both personalities would play off each other for a strong leadership and direction. Just what I think would work best going forward

Comment

Perhaps a clarification on why I feel Hooper would be a great recruiter. In the olden days of our success our staff found lightly recruited players in legion ball and games around Kansas and Oklahoma. Now days they have show case games and kids with potential are given more opportunities to have exposure to more recruiters. I would pit Hooper against anyone to sell a program to any of these kids. I just think that the environment has changed so much that a man like Hooper with his personality would be amazing

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Is that really an option? And even if it is I am not convinced it is the best option.
                        Are you talking about the baseball manager or the salad or both?

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                          1972Shocker commented
                          Editing a comment
                          LOL. Both.

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                        I’m thinking Wedge makes a comeback with Hooper as top assistant and recruiter. A very high profile no nonsense head coach with a knowledgeable even tempered assistant. Both personalities would play off each other for a strong leadership and direction. Just what I think would work best going forward
                        I’m on board with Wedge. He’s no longer relevant in MLB but his name and experience still would Be relevant enough to sway recruits. I like Hooper to recruit too but I wouldn’t be against hiring s college experienced coach like Sammy Esposito who is impressive and pay him well for his relevance. Memphis went with mostly Pro coaches in basketball and it worked for them. Wedge may consider this gig because he’s been out of the pro game long enough to not be a serious contender for an MLB manager position any longer and his flirt with MLB TV didn’t work well for his skills. Bringing back the GS era in a relevant way would be a home run to sell tickets too.

Comment

Working...
                        X