Recruiting - Class of 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Diggum View Post

Which part do you like most about him from what you see? The part where he did not take the field at Southlake Carroll this spring, guessing injury..or the part where he hit .239 as a junior when he did take the field..seems to be a roster filler...
    Whew. Someone wants to fight. Not a supporter of HCEW most likely. Not much to attack right now. Pretty optimistic feelings right now for most. Have a nice summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Diggum View Post

Which part do you like most about him from what you see? The part where he did not take the field at Southlake Carroll this spring, guessing injury..or the part where he hit .239 as a junior when he did take the field..seems to be a roster filler...
      I liked the 8.5 rating which is what the service projects him to be. Many of our standouts had no chance at getting drafted (except for pitchers) right out of high school or would have commanded very little signing bonus money. No I'm happy this kid seems to be more in line with the days of old player. And if the current staff likes him so do I. But you have obviously made a detailed analysis of why this kid doesn't measure up. So now we both know where the other stands. Go Shocks

Comment

OKC CBS Sports 105.3FM
        @OKCCBSSPORTS105
        Congrats to OKCS CBS Sports Radio Super Prep All Diamond Team.. Cooper Harris, Catcher from Choctaw High. He is a Wichita State commit.
        @cooper_harris2

@Jacketsball

@GoShockersBSB
        12:05 PM · Apr 4, 2020 from Oklahoma City, OK·Twitter for iPhone

https://www.prepbaseballreport.com/p...ris-3650187942

Comment

Good size

Comment

Cooper Harris committed in 2018 so he is a commit from Butler’s era. So I’m not sure if he signed last November or not but he’s been absent until last week. It’s confusing.

Comment

There was a Cooper Harris who pitched for Northern Oklahoma College in Enid in 2017-18.

Comment

He has his 2018 commitment tweet to WSU pinned, he has WSU commit listed on his description and he retweeted Mike Pelphry’s new facility tour from late March. I would say he is still committed.

Comment

Originally posted by Shoxing Me Softly View Post
                  He has his 2018 commitment tweet to WSU pinned, he has WSU commit listed on his description and he retweeted Mike Pelphry’s new facility tour from late March. I would say he is still committed.
                  That would seem to be the case. It would be nice if they would send out a list of signed players who have not de-committed.

Comment

Waiting for Diggum to tell me why he is only a roster filler.

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
                      Waiting for Diggum to tell me why he is only a roster filler.
                      C'mon man you are better than that. You could tell from my original post why I think that. Guys who hit .240 their Jr year of HS and strike out at a rate of more than once per every 4 ABs usually are not going to translate at the D1 level. If the primary tool is speed then ability to make consistent contact must be present. In this particular case it is not and if you can't barrel baseballs consistently at 17 you most likely aren't going to at 20.. As for the other poster who claimed I must not be a fan of HCEW...not the case..his approach to the game is the exact one a mid-Major like WSU must use to win. Maximize strikes and minimize empty outs. Coach Hibbs set up the schedule perfectly.. Win early while validating HCEW's approach works for the players before the conference season, too bad it was cut short. While HCTB recruited dozens of guys with the talent/skill necessary to win big at the D1 level he chose to coach them in a manner that made them professional prospects not game winners. His philosophy was if I maximize the individual's talent the team will win..so no one in the dugout was bought in to the team.... HCEW would have had a CWS team with the 2018 group of talent...Not a hater..just call things the way I see them...

Comment

• Originally posted by Diggum View Post

C'mon man you are better than that. You could tell from my original post why I think that. Guys who hit .240 their Jr year of HS and strike out at a rate of more than once per every 4 ABs usually are not going to translate at the D1 level. If the primary tool is speed then ability to make consistent contact must be present. In this particular case it is not and if you can't barrel baseballs consistently at 17 you most likely aren't going to at 20.. As for the other poster who claimed I must not be a fan of HCEW...not the case..his approach to the game is the exact one a mid-Major like WSU must use to win. Maximize strikes and minimize empty outs. Coach Hibbs set up the schedule perfectly.. Win early while validating HCEW's approach works for the players before the conference season, too bad it was cut short. While HCTB recruited dozens of guys with the talent/skill necessary to win big at the D1 level he chose to coach them in a manner that made them professional prospects not game winners. His philosophy was if I maximize the individual's talent the team will win..so no one in the dugout was bought in to the team.... HCEW would have had a CWS team with the 2018 group of talent...Not a hater..just call things the way I see them...
                        This was pretty damn fair.

Comment

• He may or may not be fair. Evidently he disagrees with the Talent People at Perfect Game, Wedge, Hibbs, and other coaches as to the talent that Osterberg has. Perfect game rates him as a draft prospect which probably translates to a very good college player. He may not hit 20 homers, and hit 300, but I'd take a player who hits 280 or 290, plays great defense, steals bases, bunts players over, and can hit and run.

That describes a past Shocker All American,and minor league player. Kevin Hooper. I don't remember if Hooper played in the major leagues at all, but he was a great baseball player and Butler wouldn't have even recruited him. I don't remember what Hooper's high school stats were and I don't care.

Diggum may or may not be a Shocker fan (I would guess he doesn't care much for the Shockers though), but he probably follows baseball and considers himself as knowledgeable as our coaches and I don't necessarily trust a poster who has been here for 8 posts and is mostly critical of our present coaching staff. We will see how he posts from now on, or if he just hangs around every once in a while with mostly critical comments.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                            He may or may not be fair. Evidently he disagrees with the Talent People at Perfect Game, Wedge, Hibbs, and other coaches as to the talent that Osterberg has. Perfect game rates him as a draft prospect which probably translates to a very good college player. He may not hit 20 homers, and hit 300, but I'd take a player who hits 280 or 290, plays great defense, steals bases, bunts players over, and can hit and run.

That describes a past Shocker All American,and minor league player. Kevin Hooper. I don't remember if Hooper played in the major leagues at all, but he was a great baseball player and Butler wouldn't have even recruited him. I don't remember what Hooper's high school stats were and I don't care.

Diggum may or may not be a Shocker fan (I would guess he doesn't care much for the Shockers though), but he probably follows baseball and considers himself as knowledgeable as our coaches and I don't necessarily trust a poster who has been here for 8 posts and is mostly critical of our present coaching staff. We will see how he posts from now on, or if he just hangs around every once in a while with mostly critical comments.
                            You are very entitled to your opinion but you sound absolutely ridiculous.

Comment

• You are right on several points. The first is FHCTB did recruit very talented position players and felt it was his job to get them to the next level. You are right in that they never bought into the team concept which doesn't do well in a team sport. If HCEW had the talent of the class of 2018 he would have done better but to say they were a CWS team seems to be a stretch with the lack of a consistent pitching staff. FHCTB seemed to treat college players as a minor league venue to develop players for the majors and wasn't interested in winning here. On occasion he told people that he had done the best job that ANYONE could do at WSU. He didn't have the support that GS did but at the same time he did little to meet the common fans and larger donors and really felt that it was not his job to do that because according to him that was not the way they did it at arkansas or alabama which is not MID MAJOR like you think WSU is. And yes FHCTB gave me the feeling that he felt this was a mid major job with a high major salary.So yeah I may be better than what you believe but I see nothing wrong in asking you to tell me the caliber of the newest commit. Still waiting.

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
                                You are right on several points. The first is FHCTB did recruit very talented position players and felt it was his job to get them to the next level. You are right in that they never bought into the team concept which doesn't do well in a team sport. If HCEW had the talent of the class of 2018 he would have done better but to say they were a CWS team seems to be a stretch with the lack of a consistent pitching staff. FHCTB seemed to treat college players as a minor league venue to develop players for the majors and wasn't interested in winning here. On occasion he told people that he had done the best job that ANYONE could do at WSU. He didn't have the support that GS did but at the same time he did little to meet the common fans and larger donors and really felt that it was not his job to do that because according to him that was not the way they did it at arkansas or alabama which is not MID MAJOR like you think WSU is. And yes FHCTB gave me the feeling that he felt this was a mid major job with a high major salary.So yeah I may be better than what you believe but I see nothing wrong in asking you to tell me the caliber of the newest commit. Still waiting.
                                Based on data that can be researched - does not currently hit at a level anywhere close to what you see with recruits headed to a P6 conference - will need to improve dramatically in that regard to be an every day player and the odds are against him. Seeing that he plays CF for SLC one would surmise that defense and speed are above the norm for high school. Most likely turns into a situational defender/bunter and pinch runner. Guessing that Sirianni had him on his radar during his stint recruiting for Tarleton and some OF depth is needed in addition to the position switch guys even if it requires a reach. I think the broader point here is that player profiles such as this do not succeed a lot more often than they do..As far as the "talent" people at PG they are giving players' measurables a numerical grade based on a 2 day showcase. Literally anyone can apply a numerical grade to a laser timed 60 and IF/OF velo measured with a gun. Literally no one can predict how a player will hit based on a round of BP. The actual results in this case seem to contradict the PG evaluation. It could also be that the newest "commit" is a commit in name only and no baseball dollars are associated with the offer, only academic. If that is the case, why not reach? if you are wrong you have a good kid and good teammate filling out the roster.

This is about one recruit's available information and how it profile's not really making sense to the available information and how it profile's with other recruits. It should be OK to have some back/forth about the available data based viability of recruits without each instance of not seeing the intangible "it" of a player being taken as a condemnation of the coaching staff and the program.

Comment

Working...
                                X