No announcement yet.

Recruiting - Class of 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you. That was very informative on how some of these metrics come about. Hopefully some of these kids turn out to be a lot better than they look on paper. I just remember guys like Hooper and Audley that came into the program without a lot of accolades.

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
      I just remember guys like Hooper and Audley that came into the program without a lot of accolades.
      Other lightly recruited Shox who were on smallish side from different years, who made it to AA, AAA, and/or the Majors. Please add to the list.

Pat Meares
      Mark Standiford
      Zach Sorenson
      Kevin Hooper
      Jim Audley
      Charley Giaudrone
      Don Heinkel

Just to name a few

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Other lightly recruited Shox who were on smallish side from different years, who made it to AA, AAA, and/or the Majors. Please add to the list.

Pat Meares
        Mark Standiford
        Zach Sorenson
        Kevin Hooper
        Jim Audley
        Charley Giaudrone
        Don Heinkel

Just to name a few

PJ Forbes
        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Pat Meares
          Mark Standiford
          Zach Sorenson
          Kevin Hooper
          Jim Audley
          Charley Giaudrone
          Don Heinkel

Just to name a few

Arnie Beyeler

Comment

• Blake Blasi played 4 games in AA.

Comment

• As I alluded to, back in the day before these show case events the current coaching staff was familiar with the idea of actually looking at kids and recruiting the kids with heart and looking past the metrics of the kid. What do they say about you can't teach height well the same goes for heart. All of those guys mentioned above had more heart and would outwork anyone.

Comment

• How many players in MLB do you think are under 6’? What 15%? 20% tops?

Its true you can’t teach heart or height, but both are key to high level success.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                  How many players in MLB do you think are under 6’? What 15%? 20% tops?

Its true you can’t teach heart or height, but both are key to high level success.
                  The key point I take from this is not how many smaller guys make it successfully to the Majors but how many have been outstanding collegiate baseball players at Wichita State. No doubt the bigger, stronger, faster athlete generally is starting with an advantage but that does not preclude HCEW and staff from finding at least some small guys who can still be quite productive players at the college level.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 9, 2020, 09:46 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

The key point I take from this is not how many smaller guys make it successfully to the Majors but how many have been outstanding collegiate baseball players at Wichita State. No doubt the bigger, stronger, faster athlete generally is starting with an advantage but that does not preclude HCEW and staff from finding at least some small guys who can still be quite productive players at the college level.
                    I don’t disagree that we have had a handful of players smaller than 6’ contribute greatly over the years. But to go back over the 42 years since Gene revived the program and pull out a few dozen players does seem to paint the picture that getting big, talented guys with heart is a better recipe to success than little talented guys with heart.

That said I will always remember watching Tanner Dearman (all 5’7 of him) crushing a ball over the netting at Tulane a few years back. Both teams had been giving him **** all weekend about his size. Shut them all up with one swing.

Comment

I don’t disagree that we have had a handful of players smaller than 6’ contribute greatly over the years. But to go back over the 42 years since Gene revived the program and pull out a few dozen players does seem to paint the picture that getting big, talented guys with heart is a better recipe to success than little talented guys with heart.

That said I will always remember watching Tanner Dearman (all 5’7 of him) crushing a ball over the netting at Tulane a few years back. Both teams had been giving him **** all weekend about his size. Shut them all up with one swing.
                      Now that you brought him up, who recruited Tanner Dearman to WSU in 2012 because Gene S. was still here. He made All MVC Tourney and was a good hitter. He wasn't quite as successful as the other Shockers we have mentioned.

Who cut him before his Senior year? He ended up at Southwest Oklahoma State.

Tanner Dearman
                      Last edited by Shockm; April 10, 2020, 09:46 AM.

Comment

How many players in MLB do you think are under 6’? What 15%? 20% tops?

If you throw out pitchers, and just look at hitters the number of players on MLB rosters that are 6' or under is actually around 35-40% in a given year. The range goes between 15% - 50%. It is easy to see which organizations value what guys look like getting off the plane and which ones place a lot less value on that. Both ends of the range have teams that win consistently and lose consistently.

I like to throw out pitchers because they are 11% of the players on the field and about 5% of the hitters in a game. So are they really baseball players or are they guys playing baseball every few days?

Comment

• Originally posted by Diggum View Post

If you throw out pitchers, and just look at hitters the number of players on MLB rosters that are 6' or under is actually around 35-40% in a given year. The range goes between 15% - 50%. It is easy to see which organizations value what guys look like getting off the plane and which ones place a lot less value on that. Both ends of the range have teams that win consistently and lose consistently.

I like to throw out pitchers because they are 11% of the players on the field and about 5% of the hitters in a game. So are they really baseball players or are they guys playing baseball every few days?
                          Whatever way you need to twist the data to support your point.

We recruit Pitchers, MLB drafts pitchers, so excluding them seems deceiving.

Comment

Whatever way you need to twist the data to support your point.

We recruit Pitchers, MLB drafts pitchers, so excluding them seems deceiving.
                            I've heard Wedge (and I think that Geno said it before him) say many times that our team will build around being able to pitch, and play good defense. That is the way to set the tone of your team and have a winning philosophy. Forget about spending too much of your time recruiting giants and recruit baseball players.

Comment

I've heard Wedge (and I think that Geno said it before him) say many times that our team will build around being able to pitch, and play good defense. That is the way to set the tone of your team and have a winning philosophy. Forget about spending too much of your time recruiting giants and recruit baseball players.
                              Agreed. See my post earlier, we need baseball players, with heart, who field, hit, and pitch well. We have a long history of great players, and while some great ones under 6’ were part of it, a majority were above.

MLB plays host to the best baseball players on the planet. I know, we aren’t MLB, but hopefully HCEW, who coaches those players, knows how to recognize the ones that have it all, recruits them, and they come to Wichita State.

Comment

Agreed. See my post earlier, we need baseball players, with heart, who field, hit, and pitch well. We have a long history of great players, and while some great ones under 6’ were part of it, a majority were above.

MLB plays host to the best baseball players on the planet. I know, we aren’t MLB, but hopefully HCEW, who coaches those players, knows how to recognize the ones that have it all, recruits them, and they come to Wichita State.
                                A good example of Wedge’s building blocks is from his first team this year. Alex Jackson played almost exclusively in the outfield for Butler in 2018-19 and prior to that. This year he was moved to 3rd base. He has never proven to be a good hitter for Butler, but he was moved for his defensive abilities at 3rd. He hit 216 last year from the outfield. His hitting seemed to improve this year some but while Butler would play a better hitter at 3rd, Wedge was looking for a better fielder at 3rd and would take whatever Jackson could give at the plate.

Comment

Working...
                                X