Recruiting - Class of 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Diggum View Post

If you throw out pitchers, and just look at hitters the number of players on MLB rosters that are 6' or under is actually around 35-40% in a given year. The range goes between 15% - 50%. It is easy to see which organizations value what guys look like getting off the plane and which ones place a lot less value on that. Both ends of the range have teams that win consistently and lose consistently.

I like to throw out pitchers because they are 11% of the players on the field and about 5% of the hitters in a game. So are they really baseball players or are they guys playing baseball every few days?
    I can see not including pitchers in the equation. You do have some interesting takes on the game. I would assume that most pitchers are at least 6'. Right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

Whatever way you need to twist the data to support your point.

We recruit Pitchers, MLB drafts pitchers, so excluding them seems deceiving.
      OK let me say it in a way I can't be accused of twisting data to support my point or being deceiving....35-40% of the position players on an MLB roster in a given year are 6' or under. The vast majority of pitchers are over 6'. So if someone is 6' or under they have a much better chance at advancing to the next level of baseball as a hitter. That is the part of the game I like the most so that is why I choose to view the game through that lens. My statement had very little to do with twisting data and more to do with how I choose to view baseball. Hitters play 89% of the innings played in the MLB. Hitters 6' or under will likely play 2-3X more innings of baseball in a season than a pitcher of any size. If you are a pitcher you likely need to be 6'1 or taller to continue to advance your career, there are always exceptions. As a hitter whether 5'5' or 6'8" you need to be able to barrel the baseball to continue to play. WSU has had outstanding players of all shapes and sizes through the years. I would guess that before they were allowed to demonstrate the heart, savvy, and love for the game as a Shocker that made them great they walked through gates of Eck with the ability to put the barrel of the bat on a ball moving at a rapid pace. Genius coach that he was Gene Stephenson couldn't take an all-glove no-stick guy and make him a player even in the trampoline effect metal bat era. Stick around you might learn something.

Comment

• Per a Tweet, WSU looks to be getting a senior transfer from St. St. Louis University. Corrigan Bartlett, an outfielder from Maize, hit .310 last year and was first team A-10.

Corrigan Bartlett (14) Outfield - *Transferred to SLU from Barton Community College prior to his junior season 2020 • Senior Started all 16 games for the

“The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• Color me confused. His stats show he played two years at Barton CC and two years at St. Louis. Is he on the Grant Gibbs program

Comment

• It appears he played one at Barton CC and two at St. Louis. He must be a qualifier.

Comment

• Remember this season didn't count.

Comment

• Color me stupid

Comment

• Austin Roccaforte ends up at San Jacinto CC.

“The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• Shockers have landed a transfer from University of Houston.

Spencer Hynes is a 6-4, 220 lb. LHP from Weatherford, Texas, by way of Grayson JC. He had a decent sophomore campaign at UH in 2019 with a 3.77 ERA and .244 opponent BA in 9 appearances. Only appeared 3 times in the shortened 2020 season. Also an Academic AA in 2019.

If everyone returns, and everyone committed shows, we'll have 8 LHPs on the roster next fall, compared to 2 this season.

https://uhcougars.com/sports/basebal...cer-hynes/5344
                    Last edited by Wuzee; May 11, 2020, 02:21 PM.

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• LHP Connor Oliver is leaving the team for Wabash Valley CC. (7 LHPs on the speculative roster now)

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• Shocker commit Kaminska gets second straight Kansas Gatorade POY nod.

https://www.koamnewsnow.com/caney-va...r-of-the-year/

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• The process is back today.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                            The process is back today.
                            So is The Process a nickname like The Unit. Just asking for a friend. Been checking the athletic articles like you suggested and nothing. So send me a PM about what you were alluding to. Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by Wuzee View Post
                              Shocker commit Kaminska gets second straight Kansas Gatorade POY nod.

https://www.koamnewsnow.com/caney-va...r-of-the-year/

I am excited to see this kid here in a Shocker uniform. I think the MLB draft being only 5 rounds helps us get him here.
                              Go Shocks!

Comment

• Pretty sure that rosters will be pretty much set before the old traditional first day of class to see who signed a last minute deal to go pro. I like this better.

Comment

Working...
                                X