No announcement yet.

WSU @ Oklahoma State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great win but does the coaching staff need to rethink their mid-week starter. Preston has not gone more than about 3 innings in any of his starts. I know they are bringing Cody Tyler along slowly but at some point I wonder if they might not think about moving him into that role. If Cody isn't ready or they just aren't ready to start to stretch his stints out maybe Keylan Killgore.

I suppose we can stick with Snavely and continue to split these midweek games up but I have not been very impressed with him.

Comment

• Linus
      Linus commented
      Editing a comment
      There are times against these big teams that I think Steele is afraid to pitch to them. Instead he try's to pitch around them. Snavely is a sinker pitcher not a CB, slider guy. Fast balls sink. Pound the strike zone. Make them hit it. Sanburn style.

• Play Angry
      Play Angry commented
      Editing a comment
      We have quite a challenge piecing together a plan for next week when we host Central Arkansas on Tuesday and KU on Wednesday. Both are decent, not great, and we've been beset by injuries to our staff at a tough time.

I'll be surprised if Preston doesn't get the nod for one of those games. The other remains TBD but watch to see how and if Tyler Davis is used this weekend - he was stretched out in a major way in the slaughter by Tulane, and there might be a positive in that if we can coax a decent start or two out of him down the stretch.

• Cdizzle
      Cdizzle commented
      Editing a comment
      1972Shocker, didn't mean to imply you were pooing the win. Meant that I was going to wait a day or two to bring it up so it didn't seem that I was pooing on the win. I've taken a much less measured approach to my discussion of Shocker baseball than you, to the point that my claims are likely to be taken in a negative light even if they are just fact-based discussion; and that's fair at this point.

Play Angry makes a good point though, with 5 games next week and the injuries, there may not be any way around Snavely starting one of them. Might just need the offense to show up and score 10 runs or something...

• Crap weather ahead again this weekend I know, but these guys deserve some big and loud crowds against UConn. Certainly on Friday before the worst of the front hits.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
      1972Shocker commented
      Editing a comment
      Friday is forecasted to be 76. Saturday high at 49. Sunday 54. No precip in the forecast right now. The wind will be the key on Saturday and Sunday.

If the winds don't get too wild that is about as good as we have had.

Edit: Oh-oh I see the winds are expected to be in the 25 mph range. I wonder what time the front is due in that drops us from 76 on Friday to the 40's on Saturday.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 10, 2018, 10:14 PM.

• Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
    Crap weather ahead again this weekend I know, but these guys deserve some big and loud crowds against UConn. Certainly on Friday before the worst of the front hits.
    The weather has been absolutely brutal for our home games. I would definitely be headed out to the park this weekend but low 40's with gusty winds.. bleh.

If we take care of business this weekend, hopefully warmer weather returns next week, we can count or should count on a big crowd against Beaker Avatar.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Shocks now 7-5 on the road this year and improve to 3-4 on the road against Top 50 teams (5-4 against Top 50 teams overall). That is rounding into a really nice profile and we have 3 home games against another Top 50 team this weekend.

Pretty dang exciting, I am so happy for these guys.

Comment

• WSU's RPI improves to 10 with the win.

Comment

• Channel 12 showing sac fly highlights. No 8th or 9th inning. Will Kunkel YOU ARE A F***ING JOKE.
          Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

• When was the last time we had a comparable comeback against a good team? Last I can remember was '08 in Stillwater (smaller deficit overall but same in the final frame, trailing 7-5, obviously a much bigger stage).

Before that, SMS in the conference tournament in '02 stands out although there have to be some in between. I know we came back from 5 down in the final frame to beat Harvard in '08 - was that the last time we made up this level of deficit?

Fun to think about.

Comment

• Play Angry
              Play Angry commented
              Editing a comment
              Actually I was thinking of SMS in '03 in the conference tournament, although the comeback against them in '02 in the 8th inning was pretty great too.

• Originally posted by SPEShockAlum View Post
            I have half a mind to drive down there.
            I hope you did it.

Comment

• Dont remember how good they were or werent, but seem to remember a 10 run deficit against Illinois State a couple years ago. I just remember because itnwas against the Redbirds.

Comment

• Play Angry
                Play Angry commented
                Editing a comment
                Good call! How could I forget that one, down 12-3 entering the 7th on the road. ISUr definitely was terrible that year but that was a crazy comeback.

• Alec's game tying hit in he 9th:

Here is Gunnar's 9th inning blast:

Comment

• Shox The Revenant
                Shox The Revenant commented
                Editing a comment
                Does the color guy say the S word in the background at the 3 second mark of the hit?

• Steeleshocker
                Steeleshocker commented
                Editing a comment
                I absolutely think that's what he said.

• Cdizzle
                Cdizzle commented
                Editing a comment
                Definitely what he said. Hilarious.

The bat sound on that homer reminds me of pre-BBOR bats

• Originally posted by Shocker85 View Post
              Channel 12 showing sac fly highlights. No 8th or 9th inning. Will Kunkel YOU ARE A F***ING JOKE.
              3 and 10 had full highlights. Why people continue to watch that **** show is beyond me.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• With the win, Butler's overall head coaching record now moves above .500 to 219-218.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• We are 20-4 against the OOC slate so far.

Whoa.

Comment

• My only disappointment this year is that Butler has ensured his spot for some years to come. I may have to actually like him as the baseball coach and I don't know if I'm able to do that.

Could it be that the change in the assistants was huge? I haven't noticed a lot of bat on shoulder third strikes this year.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Shocker85
                    Shocker85 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I get that vibe. I just never understood making Brian Walker an assistant. The aggressiveness if hitters is obvious to me.

• Cdizzle
                    Cdizzle commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You must have missed the first 7 innings last night. But I do generally agree with your post.
                    Last edited by Cdizzle; April 11, 2018, 10:16 AM.

• Great win ! As said above, I thought about the Harvard comeback too. But this is so cool vs. a traditional power and on the road. Go Shocks !

Comment

Working...
                  X