No announcement yet.

What is "Acceptable" now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My point is pay a competitve salary but make a good portion performance based. Paying high salaries doesn't guarantee anything. Gene did not make the CWS over his final 13 years and as far as I know his salary in those years was in the top 5% nationally. Perhaps it can't be done here anymore. Gene seemed to send that message when he took the OU job.

Unfortunately, Wichita State does not have the big P-5 Football and Basketball television money ot subsidize their minor sports so unlikely that we are going to be matching SEC baseball salaries. Gene was paid well but he didn't have a $3.0+ men's basketball coach soaking up resources.

But if we are going to pay a significant base salary to an unproven coach (and that would include Kevin Hooper) at least don't lock yourself in for such an extended period of time. Give the Coach a 4-year guarantee but have a reasonable parachute at your disposal after that if the peformance is not there.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

Lol.
      Care to point out the **** I "made up"? Please enlighten us all, pards.

So now you're making fun of me because I'm one of the few fans left that CARE?

You really are one weird Cajun.
      Last edited by ShockerFever; May 8, 2018, 09:21 PM.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

20 of our 30 wins are against teams with losing records. Kind of amazing if you think about it.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Cdizzle
          Cdizzle commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds made up.

Regarding the comment about coaching salaries and deriving maximum benefit thereof... our coaching salary is a direct reflection of our commitment to the program. It is part of the national reputation of Shocker baseball along with our facilities. We should strive to pay top 15 money regardless of who's at the helm. But... when ample time is given and specific performance isn't achieved (top 25 rankings and post-season play), we cull the staff with no mercy.

Five seasons is enough for Todd. If we do not make the post-season he's gone. If we do make the post-season and don't get embarrassed in our first series he lives to coach another year. I'd personally prefer he go, but you can't fire a coach that makes the post-season without raising eyebrows in the very community you'd tap to replace him. We are kind of stuck between a rock and a Mini-B. For those of you that desperately want him gone you need to pray that we collapse hard to finish the season. As a true Shocker fan that is hard to do; it's kind of like praying that your sick dog -whom you love- would just hurry up and die...

T

...:cool:

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
          I'd personally prefer he go, but you can't fire a coach that makes the post-season without raising eyebrows in the very community you'd tap to replace him.
          Ummmmmm...

Comment

This team would be amazing if weekends didn't exist.

Comment

I've thought for some time that WSU's decline in baseball since the late 1990s wasn't solely, or even primarily explained by "new" programs emphasizing baseball.

Below is a list of the programs that have made an appearance in the CWS since 1996, WSU's last appearance. Almost all of the teams with multiple appearance are the same programs WSU began competing with when the program was resurrected. Notable exceptions are Clemson, Louisville, Oregon State, Virginia, Rice and maybe UNC and TCU.

Make your own conclusions. I also have the list for 2008 - present, but it really isn't a lot different. .

A quick list of notable programs making the CWS since WSU: Coastal Carolina, Georgia Southern, Fresno State, Kent State, Long Beach State, Louisiana Lafayette, Pepperdine, Cal Irvine and Cal Santa Barbara.

College World Series appearances, 1997 – present

Alabama, 2x

Arizona, 3x

Arizona State, 5x

Arkansas 4x

Auburn 1x

Baylor 1x

Cal 1x

Cal Fullerton 9x

Clemson 4x

Coastal Carolina 1x

Florida 8x

Florida State 7x

Fresno 1x

Georgia 4x

Georgia Southern 1x

Georgia Tech, 2x

Indiana, 1x

Kent State 1x

Long Beach State, 1x

Louisiana Lafayette, 1x

Louisville 4x

LSU, 10x

Miami, 10x

Miss State, 4x

Nebraska 3x

Missouri State 1x

UNC 6x

NC State 1x

Notre Dame 1x

OU 1x

Ok State 2x

Ole Miss 1x

Oregon State 5x

Pepperdine 1x

Rice 7x

South Carolina 6x

Southern Cal 3x

Southern Miss 1x

Stanford 7

TCU 5X

Tenn 2x

UCLA 4x

UT 8x

Tex A&M 3x

Texas Tech 2x

Tulane 2x

Cal Irvine 2x

Ca Santa Barbara 1x

Vanderbilt 3x

Virginia 4x

Comment

• ShockTalk
                ShockTalk commented
                Editing a comment
                Might also add to that "notable list" is Missouri St (our old conference) and Tulane 2x (our new conference).

• ABC
                ABC commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, good points.

That’s a depressing and sobering list.

So what you’re saying is... we’re losing our seat at the table to schools that in many cases have less budget and history than WSU? Weird...

We still have a chance this year at least, right?

Comment

The list of programs that have just made the NCAA tournament in the last five years would make us all weep like children.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
                  C0|dB|00ded commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Usually a sign that a program is failing to keep up is evident in the recruiting. That's obviously not the case at WSU. What else could it be? The hot dog prices?

Hmmmm...

T

...:cool:

While we are losing a couple great players, there is a lot to like about what we have coming back next year. Croft, Cadena, Ritter (hopefully), Gibson, Obrien, Heuer, Davis, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by shocker22 View Post
                  While we are losing a couple great players, there is a lot to like about what we have coming back next year. Croft, Cadena, Ritter (hopefully), Gibson, Obrien, Heuer, Davis, and more.
                  If we are losing a couple of great players AND there is a lot to like about what is coming back next year.....why did this team finish in a tie for 7th in their league with no realistic chance at an at-large bid?

That math doesn't add up, at least to me.

Comment

• shocker22
                    shocker22 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Not arguing that this year has been a huge disappointment in league and a few games in non con. However, some returning players have showed a lot of promise toward the end of the season such as Cadena and Croft.

The big question, again, seems to be whether we will see better results next year or just more of the same disappointment? I don't believe it is the player's fault (if you catch my drift). I also don't think Gene would've fared better.
                  Perhaps the question should be whether we SHOULD expect better results next year. My answer is yes, but I've been saying that for a couple years now. I mention WSU baseball to the Oregon State people out here and they have a puzzled look; one even asked me if we had a team. Admittedly he was young, being born about the same time as our last CWS appearance, but still. Sigh...

Comment

Acceptable?

If being nice is all you got, then yes, I suppose.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Stetson, ECU and Minnesota are hosting . . . just sayin'

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
                        Stetson, ECU and Minnesota are hosting . . . just sayin'
                        Times have changed indeed.

Comment

Working...
                        X