NCAA Tournament Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WuDrWu
    The Patriots combine to 3 hit the Horned Frogs and advance to the winners bracket finals, 3-2. :good:
    DBU has really surprised me this year. When I saw them play the Shockers in March in Dallas I just didn't think they looked that good this year. We beat them fairly easily 6-2 in their yard (although it was a tight game for 5 or 6 innings).

I figured they were going through a rebuilding year and was hopeful that they would be better again by the time they entered the Valley.

Comment

One last update before night night time:

#1 seeds to advance so far: Virginia, Florida, Florida State, Vanderbilt, North Carolina, Arizona State, Oregon State

South Carolina has all but advanced, leading 4-1 in a suspended game.

Others advancing: #3 Mississippi State, #3 UC-Irvine, #2 Stanford

Winner take all today:

#3 Kent State vs #1 Texas
      #4 ORU vs #3 Dallas Baptist
      #2 Arizona vs #1 Texas A&M
      #1 Clemson vs #2 UCONN
      #2 Baylor vs #3 California

Updated. At least 5 non-number one seeds will advance but unfortunately only 2 (UC-Irvine and the ORU-DBU winner) non-BCS teams will certainly advance, with a chance for Kent State to make it 3. Of course, 14 of the 16 host sites went to BCS schools (I am counting TCU as BCS), so it's not a big surprise.

Comment

Cluster F at OSU. They haven't a clue as to what to do.

Typical.

2 on 2 out for Georgia. Playing in the dark (not really, but they decided that was the best thing to do).

Oregon State wins.

Former WSU softball coach Tim Walton has his Florida Gators in the title game (again) after dismantling Alabama 16-2.

Comment

One last update before night night time:

#1 seeds to advance so far: Virginia, Florida, Florida State, Vanderbilt, North Carolina, Arizona State

South Carolina has all but advanced, leading 4-1 in a suspended game.

Others advancing: #3 Mississippi State, #3 UC-Irvine

TBD Tonight:

#2 Stanford 5 vs #4 Illinois 1 (top 5) Illinois must win 2
          #2 Baylor 0 vs #3 California 1 (bottom 6) California must win 2
          #1 Oregon State 6 vs #3 Georgia 4 (bottom 9) Georgia must win 2

Winner take all tomorrow (SO FAR):

#4 Kent State vs #1 Texas
          #4 ORU vs #3 Dallas Baptist
          #2 Arizona vs #1 Texas A&M
          #1 Clemson vs #2 UCONN

Updated
          It looks like eight #3 or #4 seeds are still alive. That seems like a pretty high number. It will be interesting to see how many make it to the supers (two #3 are already in).

Comment

Former WSU softball coach Tim Walton has his Florida Gators in the title game (again) after dismantling Alabama 16-2.

6 seasons at Florida, 6 regional hosts. 4 CWS appearances. A runner up, a third and a 5th and another title game tomorrow. A remarkable record....we lost a good one.

Comment

Correction

By the way, Doc, Kent State is actually #3 in Austin.

Wonder if they'll be affected by the Texas heat -- it's apparently about as warm in Austin right now as it is here, and although Austin's humidity doesn't compare to the Gulf Coast saunas that sapped Shocker teams in the past decade while playing at Rice and Florida State, I also have to believe that NE Ohio doesn't offer a lot of 100-degree days for baseball. Could be a tough test tomorrow.

That's too bad, by the way -- there's not much better in the college game than seeing funky old Augie and the world's most entitled baseball fans shut down for another year.

Edit: interesting note, Doc, about Tim Walton's softball coaching career at Florida. I always wished that somehow he could come over to the men's side, ideally as a replacement for a certain non-pitching assistant at WSU.

Comment

It was hot, hot, hot in the Tallahassee Regional..

101 and high humidity...

Comment

Originally posted by billybud
                  It was hot, hot, hot in the Tallahassee Regional..

101 and high humidity...
                  Never a good conbination. Good luck to your Noles in the super regional.

Comment

Thanks...looks like it might be Arizona as an opponent. I don't know who I would prefer, Texas A&M or Zona.

I guess which ever team doesn't hit junk pitchers as well. The pitching coach has FSU pitchers using a fastball less and less.

Comment

Texas close to advancing. Texas is batting in the bottom of the 7th up 4 - 0.

Edit: Texas advances

Comment

Rice was the only national seed not advancing to a super.

Comment

Wow Dallas Baptist vs ORU game an interesting one so far. DBU with 8 in the 1st, ORU answered with 4.

Currently bottom 6th

DBU 11 - 9

Also, Cal up 1 - 0 on Baylor in the 4th.

Comment

Dallas Baptist advances 11-9

Comment

Ouch! Poor Baylor!

Going to the bottom of the 8th Baylor was up 7 - 3 and Cal had 5 ERRORs.

Cal scored 2 in the bottom of the 8th, Baylor answered with 1 in the 9th, then Cal scored 4 in the bottom of the 9th for the walk off win.

That makes a 3 vs 3 for the Super Regional. DBU vs Cal Would be awesome if DBU got the games at home.

Comment

Originally posted by martymoose
                                DBU vs Cal Would be awesome if DBU got the games at home.

It would be, but of course it went to Cal.

Now, that's supposed to go off bidding, so I'll be interested to see what happened there.

Comment

Working...
                                X