NBC News: "The FBI Has Arrested Several NCAA Assistant Basketball Coaches"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
    From what I've read, the sentencing guidelines were written to deal with situations where a LOT more money is involved, and none of these infractions are expected to rise anywhere close to the level where more than a few years would be served.
    Agreed, but say they drop it down to 3-5 years. Would 3-5 years be worth the 20-30k some of these guys took? My guess is no for all of them.

Comment

• So, @ShockCrazy, under your premise, Ohio State agrees to the same salary cap as Alcorn State?

Also, I believe you are wrong about attendance. Two people in this thread already have told you that amateurism is important. Ticket sales are already on the decline in fantasy-land.

Even your pie-in-the-sky version of what this will look like, you've already lost the 'free market' people keep yelling about.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
        These 60 to 80 year prison sentences that are being thrown out there are definitely going to deter a few.
        For those of us who want our schools and programs to operate above board in a fair and eithical manner, it will possibly be the greatest thing that has ever happened to college sports!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
          So, @ShockCrazy, under your premise, Ohio State agrees to the same salary cap as Alcorn State?

Also, I believe you are wrong about attendance. Two people in this thread already have told you that amateurism is important. Ticket sales are already on the decline in fantasy-land.

Even your pie-in-the-sky version of what this will look like, you've already lost the 'free market' people keep yelling about.
          Maybe, maybe it's high enough Alcorn state can't meet it? It's not like Alcorn State is competing the same level as OSU regardless. Or maybe conferences have different caps, who knows? I'm not evaluating the best way to set it up, I am saying with certainty, right now, the system is broken in order to benefit middlemen and administrators. I have not argued for a completely free market, I have argued for a controlled market that benefits the people bringing value to the system.

You keep saying amateurism is important to you and I keep asking why, and you have yet to provide one single reason.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker_Power View Post
            For those of us who want our schools and programs to operate above board in a fair and eithical manner, it will possibly be the greatest thing that has ever happened to college sports!
            Agreed. The ESPN pity-party about how terrible this is for the sport is missing the point entirely. My only hope is that my program has been operating correctly, as I have no way of knowing.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockCrazy View Post
              Maybe, maybe it's high enough Alcorn state can't meet it? It's not like Alcorn State is competing the same level as OSU regardless. Or maybe conferences have different caps, who knows? I'm not evaluating the best way to set it up, I am saying with certainty, right now, the system is broken in order to benefit middlemen and administrators. I have not argued for a completely free market, I have argued for a controlled market that benefits the people bringing value to the system.

You keep saying amateurism is important to you and I keep asking why, and you have yet to provide one single reason.
              Because amateurism levels the playing field. It gives Alcorn State a chance. Not a great chance, but they have a chance.

You are wrong, Alcorn State is competing at the same level as Ohio State. Division I. If amateurism is gone, so is Alcorn State basketball. Also gone, Ohio State University basketball. What business do state universities have running an unaffiliated professional sports team?

Again, a lot of people haven't thought this through.

Comment

Because amateurism levels the playing field. It gives Alcorn State a chance. Not a great chance, but they have a chance.

You are wrong, Alcorn State is competing at the same level as Ohio State. Division I. If amateurism is gone, so is Alcorn State basketball. Also gone, Ohio State University basketball. What business do state universities have running an unaffiliated professional sports team?

Again, a lot of people haven't thought this through.
                You are deluding yourself. It's not. Facilities, campus life, all these things play a role. Alcorn is not competing at that level. And the basis for that is can you name one single player who accepted a scholarship to Alcorn over OSU for athletics? That's even ignoring the payments that I think already occur off the books at almost every university trying to compete at a high level.

What reason do they currently have to run them assuming they are operating as they should right now as a "non-profit" part of the university? Answer: Advertisement, attracting students, increased student involvement in campus.

Comment

• Are all those against paying ok with coaches making millions? Or all the money that pumps into facilities instead of players?

That is where the money goes now... it could easily be rerouted to players and the advantages would be the same as they are now.

Comment

My only hope is that my program has been operating correctly, as I have no way of knowing.
                    Yeah, we think that is probably the case. But how do we really know for sure. It's not like this is all self-contained within the athletic programs. The really bad actors seem to be the AAU guys, the apparrel companies, and the financial advisors looking to get a piece of these guys down the road when they are making huge money in the NBA.

However, I'm not too worried about it because the guys we have been recruiting aren't the guys who are the primary targets of these vultures.
                    Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 28, 2017, 10:31 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockCrazy View Post
                      You are deluding yourself. It's not. Facilities, campus life, all these things play a role. Alcorn is not competing at that level. And the basis for that is can you name one single player who accepted a scholarship to Alcorn over OSU for athletics? That's even ignoring the payments that I think already occur off the books at almost every university trying to compete at a high level.

What reason do they currently have to run them assuming they are operating as they should right now as a "non-profit" part of the university? Answer: Advertisement, attracting students, increased student involvement in campus.
                      Is Alcorn State D1?

Comment

Agreed. The ESPN pity-party about how terrible this is for the sport is missing the point entirely. My only hope is that my program has been operating correctly, as I have no way of knowing.
                        I don't watch much ESPN lately, but if what you are saying is true, and there is some kind of pity party going on, it makes complete sense to me that they would take that angle.

If this thing goes down big time, then the quality of a lot of powerhouse viewership programs will tank and ESPN is gonna be hurt by that, I would think. It makes sense they would not be happy that all the 5* players they want to push are now ineligible and the programs they want to market are now losing games and having bad seasons during the years they are getting punished in.

Stay classy ESPN...

Comment

Is Alcorn State D1?
                          They are but that's a whole other issue. I guess the question is should they be along with the rest of the SWAC and MEAC for starters.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                            They are but that's a whole other issue. I guess the question is should they be along with the rest of the SWAC and MEAC for starters.
                            But the issues are very, very tightly linked. Who draws the line? Where? The Top 50 budgets? Top 75 budgets?

I already don't watch College Football.

Alcorn State is competing the same division as Ohio State. They can win the same national championship. Is it likely? No. But they have a path. They can win their conference tourney, and then go 150/154 from 3 over 7 games to win the national championship.

Comment

• Don't look now but HCGM is on the cover page of Yahoo sports as one of the top candidates to replace Pitino...

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                                Agreed, but say they drop it down to 3-5 years. Would 3-5 years be worth the 20-30k some of these guys took? My guess is no for all of them.
                                20-30k? That is just one kid, one year. Didn't one of the articles say or at least imply they even paid when it was clear the player was going somewhere else, just to maintain the relationships?

There were 26 5* recruits on Rivals for 2014, one lists no school (Dante Exum from Australia). Here are the schools of the other 25 5* players for 2014.

Kentucky
                                UNLV
                                Indiana
                                Duke
                                Kentucky
                                Seton Hall
                                N. Carolina
                                Florida
                                Syracuse
                                Connecticut
                                Duke
                                N. Carolina
                                Arizona
                                Duke
                                Kansas
                                Ohio St.
                                S. Diego St.
                                Texas
                                SMU
                                Kentucky
                                Kansas
                                Kansas
                                UNLV
                                UCLA
                                Georgetown
                                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                                ---------------------------------------
                                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Working...
                                X