NBC News: "The FBI Has Arrested Several NCAA Assistant Basketball Coaches"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
    Don't look now but HCGM is on the cover page of Yahoo sports as one of the top candidates to replace Pitino...
    Don't look now but it is being reported Coach 2 is Rick Pitino. I will put the over/under on 10 years before Louisville can play postseason basketball. No coach making over $400,000 currently would touch that job assuming they would even pay $2,000,000+ a year.

Louisville basketball coach Rick Pitino is the "Coach-2" in court documents who allegedly helped funnel $100,000 to the family of recruit Brian Bowen, a source confirmed to ABC News.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
      Is Alcorn State D1?
      Sure. And in a pay system with revenue sharing is Alcorn suddenly not in the same division?

I also have a question for those who have this affinity for players playing at their school because they "want" to in some noble choice rather than because of a financial choice. Ask yourself why did you choose to go to WSU? Was it some noble, I just want to? Or was it financial in some way. Maybe WSU offered you more scholarships, maybe it was cheaper tuition, maybe it was cheaper cause it was closer to home, maybe you thought going to WSU offered you better financial success in professional life after school. Why do we attribute some noble because they "want" to choice to athletes when we don't ask it of ourselves. For me I could maybe say I made a "nobler" choice, I had a much better scholarship package to go to KU and it was closer to home. But ultimately WSU offered what I thought and still believe was a better opportunity for academic success and long term career success due to my ability to work in the field while in school, so ultimately it was still a financial decision as it should be.

Comment

• If we start paying players (beyond the free education they're already receiving, which gets overlooked in all these discussions), then they become employees of the university/athletic departments. Treating student athletes like employees is a rabbit hole I hope college athletics never goes down.

Amateurism is important.
        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
          If we start paying players (beyond the free education they're already receiving, which gets overlooked in all these discussions), then they become employees of the university/athletic departments. Treating student athletes like employees is a rabbit hole I hope college athletics never goes down.

Amateurism is important.
          Why? We have GA's and TA's at a university level who are both students, generate revenue for the school through research, AND still get paid.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockCrazy View Post
            Sure. And in a pay system with revenue sharing is Alcorn suddenly not in the same division?
            Now you're getting somewhere.

They are suddenly not in the same division the minute negotiations begin.

Comment

Now you're getting somewhere.

They are suddenly not in the same division the minute negotiations begin.
              Really? Why are they in the same division now? The powers that be could easily create requirements right now on D1 status that would shove Alcorn state right out the door, and reduce the pool of teams that get a share from the NCAA tournament. Why don't they?

Comment

Really? Why are they in the same division now? The powers that be could easily create requirements right now on D1 status that would shove Alcorn state right out the door, and reduce the pool of teams that get a share from the NCAA tournament. Why don't they?
                Who are the current powers that be?

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                  20-30k? That is just one kid, one year. Didn't one of the articles say or at least imply they even paid when it was clear the player was going somewhere else, just to maintain the relationships?

There were 26 5* recruits on Rivals for 2014, one lists no school (Dante Exum from Australia). Here are the schools of the other 25 5* players for 2014.

Kentucky
                  UNLV
                  Indiana
                  Duke
                  Kentucky
                  Seton Hall
                  N. Carolina
                  Florida
                  Syracuse
                  Connecticut
                  Duke
                  N. Carolina
                  Arizona
                  Duke
                  Kansas
                  Ohio St.
                  S. Diego St.
                  Texas
                  SMU
                  Kentucky
                  Kansas
                  Kansas
                  UNLV
                  UCLA
                  Georgetown
                  Just going off the official indictments. The Arizona coach is indicted for taking 22k in bribes and could get up to 60 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by ccrunner101 View Post
                    Don't look now but it is being reported Coach 2 is Rick Pitino. I will put the over/under on 10 years before Louisville can play postseason basketball. No coach making over $400,000 currently would touch that job assuming they would even pay $2,000,000+ a year.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...mplaint-source
                    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Who are the current powers that be?
                      You tell me. What changes in decision making when the money is redirected from current benefactors to the players? What suddenly changes that gives Alcorn State and other small schools less leverage than they do now? The big schools already have all the financial leverage, so what's different?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
                        I don't watch much ESPN lately, but if what you are saying is true, and there is some kind of pity party going on, it makes complete sense to me that they would take that angle.

If this thing goes down big time, then the quality of a lot of powerhouse viewership programs will tank and ESPN is gonna be hurt by that, I would think. It makes sense they would not be happy that all the 5* players they want to push are now ineligible and the programs they want to market are now losing games and having bad seasons during the years they are getting punished in.

Stay classy ESPN...
                        Exactly, and this is the same reason the so called P5 get preferential treatment/on air time/sportcaster's love; it PAYS them to keep these school's interest high.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                          Just going off the official indictments. The Arizona coach is indicted for taking 22k in bribes and could get up to 60 years.
                          You had asked is 3-5 years worth 20k? I'm pointing out that the "reward" might indeed be much larger than 20k, not that 20k won't be big enough to merit punishment.
                          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                          ---------------------------------------
                          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                            You had asked is 3-5 years worth 20k? I'm pointing out that the "reward" might indeed be much larger than 20k, not that 20k won't be big enough to merit punishment.
                            What's the pricetag for 3-5 years of your life?

Comment

• While everyone is watching flight tracker for the next Louisville coach, Tom Crean is going to come in under the radar in his 95 chevy astro and offer himself for a sleeve of girl scout cookies and Pitinos pan hellenic parking spot.
                              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Why? We have GA's and TA's at a university level who are both students, generate revenue for the school through research, AND still get paid.
                                And as employees can be hired and fired at will. College sports is already a cesspool of greed and self-interest as it is--if we introduce the players themselves as paid professionals with market based salaries and it gets even worse. College sports will be unwatchable at that point. The entire idea of college sports is that the emphasis is on the team, the institution, not the individual. It began as a way to provide students a means to afford their education, not be a job. If athletes become employees we will have turned upside down the entire point of having athletics in college.

Again, college athletes get scholarships. It is a form of compensation for their time and efforts in representing the University. Now they're getting cost of attendance stipends, which I do support. The very worst thing that could happen to the athletes themselves is for them to become paid professionals.
                                "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Working...
                                X