NBC News: "The FBI Has Arrested Several NCAA Assistant Basketball Coaches"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
    One other key differentiation between NCAA and NFL/NBA? NFL/NBA are Private. Majority of NCAA schools are state funded .. ie if they start paying market value, it comes out of taxpayers pockets essentially.
    Not exactly, I don't think tax payers are paying Coach Marshall's salary.

Comment

NFL and NBA players can get outside contracts .... Would that be allowed in NCAA? Dangerous slide here ...
      I don't have an answer on whether it should be allowed, my gut says at least with regards to say a shoe deal, yes. And players should be able to wear as they wish on the floor regardless of school. This separates the incentive to funnel players to certain schools. Why is this dangerous though? Why are we opposed to people getting money others are willing to pay them? I do understand fears regarding boosters propping up programs etc, but ultimately why are we fundamentally opposed to this? Is it fear of non-competitiveness of the NCAA or non-competitiveness of WSU. Because beyond those two issues, I'm not sure why people really care who gets what.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockCrazy View Post
        I don't have an answer on whether it should be allowed, my gut says at least with regards to say a shoe deal, yes. And players should be able to wear as they wish on the floor regardless of school. This separates the incentive to funnel players to certain schools. Why is this dangerous though? Why are we opposed to people getting money others are willing to pay them? I do understand fears regarding boosters propping up programs etc, but ultimately why are we fundamentally opposed to this? Is it fear of non-competitiveness of the NCAA or non-competitiveness of WSU. Because beyond those two issues, I'm not sure why people really care who gets what.
        Non-competitiveness of the NCAA. That's my concern.

Comment

I'm not sure why people really care who gets what.
          I agree. I doubt that most fans care as long as their team is competitive. However, in a free market systme there will be winners and losers. That's just the nature of a free market. But I'm not sure we aren't heading in that direction anyway with the huge financial advantages that the P-5 conferences have. If they decide to totally separate from the NCAA that will bring drastic changes to college athletics IMHO. And who knows this crap hitting the fan might actually increase the chances of that happening.

Comment

Non-competitiveness of the NCAA. That's my concern.
            That I think is fair, but I think there is a solution somewhere that both compensates the players and supports some level of parity. The NFL and NBA manage it.

Comment

That I think is fair, but I think there is a solution somewhere that both compensates the players and supports some level of parity. The NFL and NBA manage it.
              They also only have ~30 teams ... not 350 ...

Comment

They also only have ~30 teams ... not 350 ...
                Sure but you are never going to have top to bottom parity, we don't have it now, we never will. Any any system that large there will be have and have nots.

Comment

• Originally posted by wushock27 View Post
                  Get ready to fire up the "Gregg Marshall to" thread... Louisville media having a field day throwing his name around....
                  I don't think there is a chance in hell, but this message board might be fun to read....
                  http://scout.com/college/louisville/...The-Yum-103990
                  The best thread is the one where posters think Louisville can land Brad Stevens.. hahahahahaha

Comment

Sure but you are never going to have top to bottom parity, we don't have it now, we never will. Any any system that large there will be have and have nots.
                    While true, there is probably and argument that can be made that the parity level that exists in the NBA would be similar to the top 150 or so NCAA teams. That's still a drastic difference.

Comment

While true, there is probably and argument that can be made that the parity level that exists in the NBA would be similar to the top 150 or so NCAA teams. That's still a drastic difference.
                      Not sure I'm following. Are you saying that the effective number of teams would drop to 150 due to the bottom 200 no longer being able to compete? Or something else.

Comment

Not sure I'm following. Are you saying that the effective number of teams would drop to 150 due to the bottom 200 no longer being able to compete? Or something else.
                        I'm saying the type of systems that are put in place to keep Parity for 30 teams like the NBA wouldn't work for the 150 or so teams that you could consider having similar parity in the NCAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by RHshoxfan View Post
                          The best thread is the one where posters think Louisville can land Brad Stevens.. hahahahahaha
                          They are going to hire Tom Crean and be thankful.
                          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
                            They are going to hire Tom Crean and be thankful.
                            They'll get nothing and like it.
                            Once a Shocker, Always a Shocker-- RIP Guy Alang-Ntang

Shocker Basketball=Life

Comment

• Aw Shucks. UofL needs to thing outside the box. Someone that can entertain the fans while they rebuild the program. Barry Hinson comes to mind.

Comment

• Pitino put on unpaid leave
                                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                                X