NBC News: "The FBI Has Arrested Several NCAA Assistant Basketball Coaches"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Boss1786 View Post
    It's a stretch, but tortious interference comes to mind - Tortious interference with business relationships occurs where the tortfeasor intentionally acts to prevent someone from successfully establishing or maintaining business relationships with others.

A tort of negligent interference occurs when one party's negligence damages the contractual or business relationship between others, causing economic harm
    Big stretch given the premise of the NCAA isn't based on economic benefit of itself or it's member institutions.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
      Looks like Evans got both South Carolina AND OSU in trouble. That's talent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
        Either the FBI guy or the DA out of NYC mentioned something about signing false statements of amateur status.

If the FBI knows the players who got the money, those players should be permanently ineligible to play college ball. Any of those players de-commiting might not be a factor, unless the NCAA takes a year or 2 to do their own investigation to see if recruits violated their amateur status and then knowingly signed documents stating they hadn't.
        Clearly I'm not a lawyer, but this is where the trouble starts for all involved. The conspiracy thing has teeth (think the end of "The Firm"....Mitch:"Have you really looked at that? You've got every partner on mail fraud. There's over 250 documented cases, that's racketeering. 20 years in prison and $2.5 million each.") and the Feds have stone cold proof and the playbook. This thing is not over and it's going to get worse before it gets better and there will be some folks singing a tune as fast as you can say deal to whomever will listen to stay out of jail.

And the proof of the conspiracy to defraud is in the players signing paperwork saying they are amateurs. The Universities, for one, have been defrauded.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockCrazy View Post
          Big stretch given the premise of the NCAA isn't based on economic benefit of itself or it's member institutions.
          That does not matter - damages would be easy to assert in many forms. The NCAA could certainly try to sue Addidas.

Comment

• "Auburn offering refunds on men’s basketball season tickets in wake of FBI investigation" - SB*Nation

by James Dator
            Sep 27, 2017, 12:50pm EDT

The fallout begins.

"Auburn University is responding to federal charges being brought against assistant head coach Chuck Person by offering full refunds to any fans who no longer want their season tickets...."

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
              Does the NCAA have any aiding and abetting rules?
              My question would be aiding and abetting what? Loss of amateur status? I mean these companies can offer the players shoe deals out of high school. The only reason it doesn't happen happen is because of amateur status and the deal having no value if the player isn't playing somewhere for exposure.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  So will these guys sit back a take the heat or will they Feds turn them into informants as well that may well broaden the reach of this situation.
                  The possibility of "federal pound me in the a** prison" usually gets people talking.

Comment

• Being reported that Pitino and his AD are on unpaid leave, as opposed to fired. University President said they could possibly be back. I'm sure it is legal positioning.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockCrazy View Post
                      My question would be aiding and abetting what? Loss of amateur status? I mean these companies can offer the players shoe deals out of high school. The only reason it doesn't happen happen is because of amateur status and the deal having no value if the player isn't playing somewhere for exposure.
                      Conspiracy to commit fraud in violationg the NCAA's amatuer status rules. Probably a moot point. I really don't see the NCAA suing Adidas or any of the apparel companies. They simply provide to much loot to NCAA members. Rarely do you bite that hand that helps to feed you.

The interesting thing will what will be the NCAA's plan of action towards its member institutions found to be involved knowingly or otherwise in this situation. But even more than that will there be some major changes in the way big time College Football and College Basketball are governed and operated in recognition of the financial behemoths they have become.

As far as Adidas goes the NCAA is the least of their worries right now. They will have plenty on their plate with the Feds.

Comment

• If you aren't familiar with The Kicker, it is the sports version of The Onion.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                          Being reported that Pitino and his AD are on unpaid leave, as opposed to fired. University President said they could possibly be back. I'm sure it is legal positioning.
                          Guess their contracts have a "10-day notice" clause for being fired with cause. Otherwise they owe them an extra amount.

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
                            The possibility of "federal pound me in the a** prison" usually gets people talking.
                            I suppose that could be used as a threat but most likely if any of these guys to go to prison it would be a minimum security situation for white-collar criminals. I don't thing a guy like Chuck Person has too much to fear from that inmate population.

Comment

• An old saying goes in the game of Bones (Dominoes) - "NOT ALL MONEY'S GOOD MONEY!"

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
                                If you aren't familiar with The Kicker, it is the sports version of The Onion.

https://thekicker.com/rick-pitino-re...-in-lap-dances
                                TOO FUNNY!

Comment

Working...
                                X