Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KU Trouble

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet:

Alleged rape on campus, possible basketball player(s) involvement...

Originally posted by Dan View Post
    Surprised this hasn't been posted yet:

Alleged rape on campus, possible basketball player(s) involvement...
    Wow.
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Jeez, that is horrible.
      "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

That sounds like this is the kind that isn't going to go away. Too many witnesses and people apparently know each other. And isn't 16 underage? Somebody is going down.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
          That sounds like this is the kind that isn't going to go away. Too many witnesses and people apparently know each other. And isn't 16 underage? Somebody is going down.
          Even if 'consensual' sex with a 16 year old is still rape, I believe.
          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Lack of institutional control. It's been going on up there for years. How could anyone ever forget S. Collins and his ability to "charm" the opposite sex.

Comment

This is slightly off topic, but I always wonder how much these basketball only dorms influence recruits' decisions. I think to comply with the NCAA, they have to have 50% athletes and 50% non-athletes. It just seems like a prime target for a lawsuit. Why aren't female athletes suing based on sex discrimination? The men's basketball team gets this really awesome dorm but female athletes are never considered? Also, it's only ever the men's basketball team that gets the 50% of the dorm. If you're on the men's basketball team you have a 100% guaranteed spot in that dorm. If you're a non-athlete, you have like a 1/20,000 chance at getting a spot in that dorm? How does that possibly pass the test for acceptable treatment of athletes?

It makes me wonder if no one has tried to sue KU or UK over these issues or if they have and they've lost.

Comment

NM
                Last edited by pie n eye; January 25, 2017, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Does not look good, but given Virginia and Duke stories, I would withhold judgement. Regardless, those involved should be suspended pending the outcome of the investigation.
                  Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Seeing as the alleged crimes occurred in mid-December, I don't think the suspect is a current KU player. Perhaps a former player or close friend of the players. Still, not good any way you look at it.

Comment

Nothing to see here; let's move along now.

Sincerely,

The NCAA

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
                        This is slightly off topic, but I always wonder how much these basketball only dorms influence recruits' decisions. I think to comply with the NCAA, they have to have 50% athletes and 50% non-athletes. It just seems like a prime target for a lawsuit. Why aren't female athletes suing based on sex discrimination? The men's basketball team gets this really awesome dorm but female athletes are never considered? Also, it's only ever the men's basketball team that gets the 50% of the dorm. If you're on the men's basketball team you have a 100% guaranteed spot in that dorm. If you're a non-athlete, you have like a 1/20,000 chance at getting a spot in that dorm? How does that possibly pass the test for acceptable treatment of athletes?

It makes me wonder if no one has tried to sue KU or UK over these issues or if they have and they've lost.
                        Although I have different political inclinations/motivations as compared to yourself, I have pondered the same. Seems really odd that it is allowed to stand, or more accurately, that it is seemingly ignored.

Comment

Originally posted by BOBB View Post
                          Does not look good, but given Virginia and Duke stories, I would withhold judgement. Regardless, those involved should be suspended pending the outcome of the investigation.

The player involvement appears to be as WITNESSES according to the link I read,,, You gonna start Suspending people for witnessing things now ??? Seems a little overkill /overreact don't ya think ??
                          From the road I listen (Tune In radio) at home I watch ( season Ticks )

Comment

If they witnessed the rape of a minor and didn't intervene or report, then yes, I would.

Edit: much like the Minnesota situation where a crime may not have taken place, but at a minimum an alcohol fueled gangbang did, there have to be some standards of behavior beyond criminality for student athletes.
                            Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                              Although I have different political inclinations/motivations as compared to yourself, I have pondered the same. Seems really odd that it is allowed to stand, or more accurately, that it is seemingly ignored.
                              It's good to know that I'm not just blinded by my own opinions on this issue. Frankly, I think college basketball players should probably get paid, and I'm possiblyopen to the idea that they should get paid more than other athletes. I don't know enough about things like Title IX to know if we could possibly have a system where men's basketball players got $500 a week but women's basketball players got $50, but I'm certainly open to the idea that they should get more because of the crazy amount of money spent on men's basketball.

What's far worse is the current system where men's basketball players at major universities get huge benefits, but it's all under the table. How can you recruit against a school that tells its players "we can't pay you, but trust me, if you ever have a financial need, we know someone that can help you out." These types of dorms are the exact same thing, but it's not even under the table any more. The video of UK's dorm showed the students had TVs in all the rooms and great game rooms and a barber, along with all sorts of things "regular" students don't get. This is just the NCAA turning a blind eye to what appears to be obvious violations.

Comment

Working...
                              X