KU Trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
    Seeing as the alleged crimes occurred in mid-December, I don't think the suspect is a current KU player. Perhaps a former player or close friend of the players. Still, not good any way you look at it.
    Wasn't that the weekend the chickens were "entertaining" prospects (recruits)? That's a possibility as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
      Wasn't that the weekend the chickens were "entertaining" prospects (recruits)? That's a possibility as well.
      You're right. I hadn't thought about them possibly hosting recruits that weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
        It's good to know that I'm not just blinded by my own opinions on this issue. Frankly, I think college basketball players should probably get paid, and I'm possiblyopen to the idea that they should get paid more than other athletes. I don't know enough about things like Title IX to know if we could possibly have a system where men's basketball players got $500 a week but women's basketball players got $50, but I'm certainly open to the idea that they should get more because of the crazy amount of money spent on men's basketball.

What's far worse is the current system where men's basketball players at major universities get huge benefits, but it's all under the table. How can you recruit against a school that tells its players "we can't pay you, but trust me, if you ever have a financial need, we know someone that can help you out." These types of dorms are the exact same thing, but it's not even under the table any more. The video of UK's dorm showed the students had TVs in all the rooms and great game rooms and a barber, along with all sorts of things "regular" students don't get. This is just the NCAA turning a blind eye to what appears to be obvious violations.
        It's totally within NCAA rules and was coved in the press when the apartments were built- because of the cost. The NCAA rule is that the athletes can't have living accommodations that are not available to other students. Since 1/2 of the apartments are reserved for other students no rules are broken.
        I had season FOOTBALL tix... did you?

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
          It's good to know that I'm not just blinded by my own opinions on this issue. Frankly, I think college basketball players should probably get paid, and I'm possiblyopen to the idea that they should get paid more than other athletes. I don't know enough about things like Title IX to know if we could possibly have a system where men's basketball players got $500 a week but women's basketball players got $50, but I'm certainly open to the idea that they should get more because of the crazy amount of money spent on men's basketball.

What's far worse is the current system where men's basketball players at major universities get huge benefits, but it's all under the table. How can you recruit against a school that tells its players "we can't pay you, but trust me, if you ever have a financial need, we know someone that can help you out." These types of dorms are the exact same thing, but it's not even under the table any more. The video of UK's dorm showed the students had TVs in all the rooms and great game rooms and a barber, along with all sorts of things "regular" students don't get. This is just the NCAA turning a blind eye to what appears to be obvious violations.
          If schools pay athletes, how does that prohibit under the table payments. Corrupt schools and individuals will always be corrupt and looking for more. Minimal payments are ok I guess but people always want more. Free educations are worth a lot if money. For those players who don't want an education, just go to the NBA. I hate one and dones.

Comment

This topic comes up a lot.

What I don't see bantered about as often is the fact that most programs don't make money. So who are you going to pay? And which sports? Do you think anybody's track program is a cash cow?

So now you're taking money from the 50 or so profitable programs to pay other programs. But wait, Mississippi Valley State hemorrhages money. What do they do?

So do some programs get to pay their players and others not? And do some programs pay all athletes or just the profitable ones?

And what about say someone like Fred and Ron? Do they get paid the same as Evan...as JR? Why should the Wooden Award winner get the same amount as Reed Timmer?

Do you see what happens when you try to make things fair? You create 5000 rules to separate everyone. It's just one big fail.

You start paying kids and you'll see programs disappear all over the country, men's and women's both. Less kids that might not otherwise be able to go to college.

It's never going to be perfect, I think we all can admit that. But geez please stop adding more and more rules. Why don't you get out there and do something instead. Buy a team dinner. Endow a scholarship. Something productive instead of bitching about how someone else spends their money or how the "government" should spend some more.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerInKC View Post
              It's totally within NCAA rules and was coved in the press when the apartments were built- because of the cost. The NCAA rule is that the athletes can't have living accommodations that are not available to other students. Since 1/2 of the apartments are reserved for other students no rules are broken.
              I'm saying a plaintiff should make two arguments: (1) sex discrimination -- the apartment is only for males and it is a benefit that female athletes cannot access and (2) this is living accommodations that are not available to other students. The argument is that the basketball players living accommodation is 100% in that apartment and a normal student's living accommodation is 1/20,000% chance to be in that apartment. The 100% chance to live in the apartment is an unfair benefit given to an athlete because the "equivalent" benefit for a normal student is 1/20,000% chance.

I know that they have built it to comply with the rules, but that doesn't mean it would win a court case. That's why I'm interested to see if it actually has been litigated.

Comment

I dont believe that anyone is insinuating that the suspect is a KU basketball player... is that correct?

Furthermore, they could have just asked the players if they saw the girl enter a room... etc.
                "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

No mention on the ESPN men's basketball page yet -- does that mean it didn't really happen? If a tree falls in the forest...

Comment

Lots of poor choices get made by teens on a college campus. I'll withhold judgement on the KU basketball program until all the facts are known. It didn't read as though any players were suspects...

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                      I dont believe that anyone is insinuating that the suspect is a KU basketball player... is that correct?

Furthermore, they could have just asked the players if they saw the girl enter a room... etc.
                      That would be their best case scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                        That would be their best case scenario.
                        Agreed.
                        "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by Shockers5150 View Post
                          Lots of poor choices get made by teens on a college campus. I'll withhold judgement on the KU basketball program until all the facts are known. It didn't read as though any players were suspects...
                          I'll withhold judgment in this case, and any other criminal cases, but I can't bring myself to withhold judgment that for the most part, they're one big tool bag with a bunch of useless tools.

On another note, did anyone else see on SportCenter last night when the sportscaster said that Josh Jackson (KU freshman stud one and doner) "looks like the Wichita State mascot with that lettuce." Pretty fun to get a WSU mention in the middle of a KU SC top ten highlight. :) :)
                          "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post

That was my initial guess. Any other reason would be quite bad.

I'm also one for withholding judgment until the facts are known. Not a good situation regardless.
                            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Its ironic that half of KU's team looks like they haven't had a haircut this season when there is a barbershop in that palace.
                              Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

http://www.scout.com/college/kansas/...?s=172&page=11 Not sure how much is speculation, but some think it involves Carlton Bragg and there is talk about Frank Mason and drug paraphernalia. Its seems Kevin Keitzman is putting this out. I dont think Self would keep Bragg on the team if this were true.
                                I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Working...
                                X