Big 12 losing status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big 12 losing status

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/big-12s...215007897.html This doesnt suprise me. Not good for the Wild Kitties
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Title should probably read "Big 12 last to finally realize they already lost status"

Comment

It's probably why the MWC has been public about not wanting WSU. They're waiting for K-State to come begging.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
        It's probably why the MWC has been public about not wanting WSU. They're waiting for K-State to come begging.
        By that time, WSU may be a better option. Post-Snyder KState is going to be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
          By that time, WSU may be a better option. Post-Snyder KState is going to be a disaster.
          FIFY
          "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Every team not named Oklahoma or Texas should be concerned. Oklahoma State and Texas tech are probably on the right side of the dividing line.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Among the Texas variations, I'd think that Texas CHRISTIAN is better off than Texas TECH. Better football, better market (even though DFW is above all Cowboys country, as always with NFL cities), better for travel.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                Wait a minute, didn't someone going by the handle of Veritas state on a different thread last week how great KSU/KU are and how any P5 conference would be willing to kill to get them?

That same person said that the PAC-12 was in danger of imploding, as well. I didn't believe that one, either. And I disagree about KU. Their football program has been horrible and will continue to be horrible. Since football is the tail that wags the dog in college sports, I don't see any P5 conference wanting KU unless and until they improve their abysmal football program.

Bottom line, it is my opinion that the B12 has backed themselves into a corner by sitting on their hands. I don't think UH or any of the other schools currently under consideration would change that much. However, if they do expand, my opinion, expressed on other threads, would be that UH would be one choice that should receive consideration, as well as BYU. There are a couple of other AAC schools worthy of consideration as well (UConn, Cincy and perhaps East Caroline), but none of them carry the prestige that a University of Maryland, Louisville or some of the other schools poached by the ACC would have.

Having said that, I don't really think you're gaining by trying to get into the TV market in Kentucky (or Utah or Idaho). It's not a whole lot different from the TV market in Kansas. To flip the script, the B12 would need to get a foothold into a big TV market city and I don't see that currently happening.
                Last edited by shocka khan; August 3, 2016, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
                  Wait a minute, didn't someone going by the handle of Veritas state on a different thread last week how great KSU/KU are and how any P5 conference would be willing to kill to get them?

That same person said that the PAC-12 was in danger of imploding, as well. I didn't believe that one, either. And I disagree about KU. Their football program has been horrible and will continue to be horrible. Since football is the tail that wags the dog in college sports, I don't see any P5 conference wanting KU unless and until they improve their abysmal football program.

Bottom line, it is my opinion that the B12 has backed themselves into a corner by sitting on their hands. I don't think UH or any of the other schools currently under consideration would change that much. However, if they do expand, my opinion, expressed on other threads, would be that UH would be one choice that should receive consideration, as well as BYU. There are a couple of other AAC schools worthy of consideration as well (UConn, Cincy and perhaps East Caroline), but none of them carry the prestige that a University of Maryland, Louisville or some of the other schools poached by the ACC would have.

Having said that, I don't really think you're gaining by trying to get into the TV market in Kentucky (or Utah or Idaho). It's not a whole lot different from the TV market in Kansas. To flip the script, the B12 would need to get a foothold into a big TV market city and I don't see that currently happening.
                  For some reason I don't think KU's leadership is prepared for this matter. They've strategicly put all sports besides basketball on the back burner and put themselves in a difficult position. K-State at least is trying to look appealing in all sports, but mostly football. If worst comes to worst I can see the kitties making a move to salvage their own brand, they just seem to have more pride. KU couldn't make a desperate move to leave the Big 12 even if they wanted to. All's ku can do is hope the Big 10 would pick them up.

Comment

I just have a hard time seeing either Kansas team in the Big 10. The B1G doesn't need another basketball school, plus football is everything. There is no geographical advantage, marketing advantage, TV advantage, nothing. If decisions in the P-5 had anything to do with basketball, Kansas would have no worries, but basketball isn't driving the bus.
                    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by shocka khan View Post

Read my post again. I don't recall mentioning KSU, and stated that either the PAC or BXII would need to poach the other to stick around and that I belived the PAC was weaker. I can do my best to explain it to you but can not comprehend for you. Reread my post and comments. And Yes, I do believe KU has a very good chance for the B1G if the BXII implodes.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                        Read my post again. I don't recall mentioning KSU, and stated that either the PAC or BXII would need to poach the other to stick around and that I belived the PAC was weaker. I can do my best to explain it to you but can not comprehend for you. Reread my post and comments. And Yes, I do believe KU has a very good chance for the B1G if the BXII implodes.
                        http://shockernet.net/forum/showthre...utcome/page184
                        The Pac, if for nothing more than stability and logistics, is in a much, much better position than the Big 12. Media markets that include Los Angeles, San Fransisco, Phoenix, Portland and Seattle don't hurt, either. And while the Big 12 has lost Colorado, Nebraska, A&M and Mizzou, the Pac has lost nobody and gained Colorado and Utah.

I would say that Kansas has a shot at the B1G. My opinion is nuanced, so while I'd say they have a shot, I wouldn't say they have a good or great shot. I still don't see what Kansas brings to the B1G. Basketball doesn't matter, tv's and football matter.

In the end, this whole thing comes down to the Longhorn Network. If ESPN dumps the Longhorn Network, Texas could be in the B1G just as easily as the Pac. If Texas gummed up the works and ended in the B1G,KU is in trouble.

Last I heard, the Longhorn Network was still hemorrhaging.
                        There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                          http://shockernet.net/forum/showthre...utcome/page184
                          The B1G is KU's only hope IMO to remain in a power conference if the Big 12 implodes. I would not characterize as Veritas does that the chance is "very good" but I do think KU has a realistic chance to be invited. AAU status is important to the B1G; is KU basketball and whatever additional media presence in the KC market it might bring to the B1G enough to overcome KU's lack of a football team?

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                            The Pac, if for nothing more than stability and logistics, is in a much, much better position than the Big 12. Media markets that include Los Angeles, San Fransisco, Phoenix, Portland and Seattle don't hurt, either. And while the Big 12 has lost Colorado, Nebraska, A&M and Mizzou, the Pac has lost nobody and gained Colorado and Utah.

I would say that Kansas has a shot at the B1G. My opinion is nuanced, so while I'd say they have a shot, I wouldn't say they have a good or great shot. I still don't see what Kansas brings to the B1G. Basketball doesn't matter, tv's and football matter.

In the end, this whole thing comes down to the Longhorn Network. If ESPN dumps the Longhorn Network, Texas could be in the B1G just as easily as the Pac. If Texas gummed up the works and ended in the B1G,KU is in trouble.

Last I heard, the Longhorn Network was still hemorrhaging.
                            Time Zones are problematic for the PAC12; if the Big 12 implodes, an expanded PAC16 with East/West divisions would be attractive. Texas might join such a Conference but I think OU would join the SEC not the PAC

Comment

It's going to be really funny if somehow the poaching goes perfectly and ends up with KU and KSU in the AAC with WSU... Just having a little fun thinking crazy here.

That is already a much better competitive level for KU in football :) And who knows? Maybe the AAC wants to be one of the power conferences someday and has the leadership to make it happen. It would be a huge undertaking, but I sure love the idea.

Here goes:
                              Say Texas and Oklahoma go to the PAC12, while Baylor and OSU go to the SEC (or some similar version of this using the schools in Texas and Oklahoma). Now what's left of your Big 12 is down to Iowa State, KSU, KU, Texas Tech, TCU and WVU. Only six teams. They either poach the heck out of the AAC or the AAC does vice versa. Say the ACC takes UCONN at just the right time and the Big 10 decides to go with proximity and takes Iowa State and WVU... Now you've got basically no Big 12 left (KU, KSU, Texas Tech and TCU and an AAC that is needing some firepower, having lost UCONN to the ACC. So the AAC, which is down to only 10 basketball schools now because UCONN got poached, adds all 4 of them along with WSU (non-football, balancing with Navy in the AAC who is football only) and maybe something crazy like BYU to hit 16. WSU plays in a power conference for basketball and stays in the MVFC for football if we do indeed start a program.

I'm sure there are a million reasons why it could never happen, but if it did, it would be the most hilarious thing ever.
                              Last edited by Dave Stalwart; August 3, 2016, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X